Do I really "need" a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Post by dreadpirate »

Yes you need one, and the price is right.

Here's another thought; the Dice and the PITS are also specially priced. The Dice especially is a great knife; I just got one and have been pleasantly surprised.

I bought 4 of the discontinued knives; Positron, orange Pingo, Domino, and Dice.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

wheats wrote:My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
I was looking hard at the PITS too. I think it's a cool non-locking design. Then I started thinking about the Southard and I think that's a better choice for me ATM.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My biggest complaint with the Southard is it should have been FFG and the asymmetrical scale thickness bothers me. But, it's still one of my favorite knives all around, it has just been surpassed by other favorites.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dreadpirate wrote:Here's another thought; the Dice and the PITS are also specially priced. The Dice especially is a great knife; I just got one and have been pleasantly surprised.
As mentioned above the PITS was on my radar but I've decided to pass for now. The Dice is a cool little knife and it should be a slam dunk for me considering the small size. $109 is a great deal but I decided to pass on the Dice awhile back. I have several Sages and a couple Chaparrals so I have that general shape covered pretty well. I'm also not a big fan of the CF pattern. It's ok (I have the Sage 3) but it's not my favorite.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:My biggest complaint with the Southard is it should have been FFG and the asymmetrical scale thickness bothers me. But, it's still one of my favorite knives all around, it has just been surpassed by other favorites.
Right. I know just what you mean David. Even though I too have Spydies that I like better, the Southard is still one of my all around favorites.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I had the black version and sold it to buy a different knife. It was a great knife! Now BHQ has the black ones available for $165. It's calling my name and I don't know if I can resist at that price.

*Edit to add* Well, trigger pulled. Now I won't have to kick myself in a couple of years when I can't find one.
Last edited by Spydersense on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydersense wrote:I had the black version and sold it to buy a different knife. It was a great knife! Now BHQ has the black ones available for $165. It's calling my name and I don't know if I can resist at that price.
Grab it!! The Black Southard is a superb knife and flipper....
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

MacLaren wrote:
Spydersense wrote:I had the black version and sold it to buy a different knife. It was a great knife! Now BHQ has the black ones available for $165. It's calling my name and I don't know if I can resist at that price.
Yep, edited my post. Trigger has been pulled. :D
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Honestly, I wasn't a huge fan of the southard. I think that flippers just aren't my thing, except the super fun spring loaded ZT flipper that I like to play with (ZT 0770). Other than that one, I have yet to find a flipper that was really appealing enough for me to carry. The Southard was no exception.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydersense wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Yep, edited my post. Trigger has been pulled. :D
Very good indeed!! Happy 4 ya.
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

Sharp Guy wrote:
dreadpirate wrote:Here's another thought; the Dice and the PITS are also specially priced. The Dice especially is a great knife; I just got one and have been pleasantly surprised.
As mentioned above the PITS was on my radar but I've decided to pass for now. The Dice is a cool little knife and it should be a slam dunk for me considering the small size. $109 is a great deal but I decided to pass on the Dice awhile back. I have several Sages and a couple Chaparrals so I have that general shape covered pretty well. I'm also not a big fan of the CF pattern. It's ok (I have the Sage 3) but it's not my favorite.
In that case - don't hesitate. Get the Southard at that great price before they are gone.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

dreadpirate wrote:In that case - don't hesitate. Get the Southard at that great price before they are gone.
I have one on the way! :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Figured I'd dig this up...my thoughts on the Southard from 3 years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65118&hilit=Southard
~David
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:Figured I'd dig this up...my thoughts on the Southard from 3 years ago.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65118&hilit=Southard
Thank you for sharing that David! I'm looking forward to getting to know this one.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Oh man. Just got mine a few minutes ago. Looks to have been made March 16 (CP) At any rate, she is flawless imo. I was really impressed! Dead centered and flips wonderfully. Every bit as good as the Black one I had. One other thing I noticed is that this blades stone wash is more of a mirror finish, if you will please. Normally, I would love to find a black g10 handle to replace the brown one, but I'm not gonna touch this girl. She's perfect the way she is.
Very happy with the new Southard indeed!!
palonej

Post by palonej »

Here’s my recommendation!! Pic is worth tons of words! :D :D
All kidding aside.......it is a fantastic knife!
Joe
Attachments
B6D3DE83-3775-44B5-A669-C2650C863FBA.jpeg
82A3DDE8-D21E-4B5F-A14B-D3A81E6492FE.jpeg
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Here ya go Joe :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The new has more of a chrome finish while the old more of a Matt one. I l like the Blade on the new one better, but the ti on the old one better as I think it's stone wash looks better
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The plunge lines are very different.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:The plunge lines are very different.
That's enough that I would suspect the one on the right to be fake. Look at how the Spyderco script almost rolls off into the plunge line. That seems sloppy.
~David