Do I really "need" a Southard?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Do I really "need" a Southard?

Post by Sharp Guy »

I typically dislike these kinds of threads yet here I am starting one. :)

The Southard was never really on my radar mostly because it's a little bigger than what I normally like to carry. The high price turned me off a bit too. However, now that they're on clearance I find myself taking another look and I'm considering buying one before they're gone.

The Southard certainly looks like a nice piece but I've been comparing it to the Sliverax (which I adore despite it's size) and based on the specs I shouldn't even be considering buying one. Oddly, here I am thinking about dropping another $155 to add one to my collection of users.

What do you enablers think? Is this one of those knives that every Spydie fan should have? Any Sliverax owners out there that also have the Southard? What do you think?

I'll be interested to read what you have to say.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
toxophilus

Re: Do I really "need" a Southard?

Post by toxophilus »

Yes; heads up sent!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That discounted price is hard to pass up! I would say, yes. You "need" one, for that price. It will be impossible to find for anywhere near that price a year from now.
Also, Spyderco's first flipper. Doesn't mean much, but it's a cool talking point and a valuable piece to any Spyderco collection! ;)
-Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:That discounted price is hard to pass up! I would say, yes. You "need" one, for that price. It will be impossible to find for anywhere near that price a year from now.
Also, Spyderco's first flipper. Doesn't mean much, but it's a cool talking point and a valuable piece to any Spyderco collection! ;)
That's what I was thinking too Nick. Thx!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Southard is the definition of "Sleek" imo.
It's one of the few that have the stone wash blade, like the Sylz.
It's incredibly nice. And trust me, that 204P is awesome....
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sharp guy, in case you haven't seen my post in another thread, I'll say it again, just in case.
So, just in case you are a Knife Center customer with Knife Rewards points, Knife Center will match the BHQ price of $154
And you can put your points towards the purchase like I did.
I got the Southard for $134.95 shipped, by using my $20 in rewards points. Just so you know.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It’s a nice looking knife and I really want one at that price, but I’m completely tapped out right now. Plus it’s a hollow grind, I’ve come to prefer only ffg now. If it’s eating a hole in your pocket I’d say get it, you’ll never see it at that price again!
Josh
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The price is hard to resist for sure. If you are thinking about it then go for it. It will likely be easy to recoup the funds later if you decide you don't like it.

It is a beautiful knife to behold. When I fondle it I am amazed at the design. In many way it is well thought out. I am also reminded that I don't like the thick blade stock, asymmetric scales or the blade shape. It just isn't for me.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

MacLaren wrote:Sharp guy, in case you haven't seen my post in another thread, I'll say it again, just in case.
So, just in case you are a Knife Center customer with Knife Rewards points, Knife Center will match the BHQ price of $154
I got the Southard for $134.95 shipped, by using my $20 in rewards points. Just so you know.
Thanks Mac! I did see your deal in the other thread. A couple weeks ago I bought a digicam/DLC PM2 for my son. He's a US Marine and is about to leave on his first deployment. He already has a couple knives that I've given him but I wanted to have something a little more special to take with him. Anyway, after that purchase I checked my KC rewards point and I had enough for a $50 giftcard. I called KC and had Janie apply it to my FRN Chap pre-order. I ended up paying $30.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sharp Guy wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Sharp guy, in case you haven't seen my post in another thread, I'll say it again, just in case.
Thanks Mac! I did see your deal in the other thread. A couple weeks ago I bought a digicam/DLC PM2 for my son. He's a US Marine and is about to leave on his first deployment. He already has a couple knives that I've given him but I wanted to have something a little more special to take with him. Anyway, after that purchase I checked my KC rewards point and I had enough for a $50 giftcard. I called KC and had Janie apply it to my FRN Chap pre-order. I ended up paying $30.
Awesome!! KC is hard to beat imo.
And, please thank your son for his service to us thru the Marine Corps. My grandfather was in the U.S.M.C. too :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote: It is a beautiful knife to behold. When I fondle it I am amazed at the design. In many way it is well thought out. I am also reminded that I don't like the thick blade stock, asymmetric scales or the blade shape. It just isn't for me.
The blade stock and handle thickness are drawbacks for me (weight too). But I have other thick-heavy knives that I like so I guess I shouldn't let it bother me.

I think I'm gonna wait and make a call in the morning to check out another source that was recommended. If that doesn't pan out and they're still in stock at BHQ I'll probably go ahead and order one. If they're gone then I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guarantee you won't be able to buy one for that price a year from now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Word of warning. Build-quality and steel-choice second to none, but if your hands run large you might find the real estate a bit cramped and more rearward than most Spydies.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Whitetail addict

Post by Whitetail addict »

Yes, its a great knife.
@martial_logan on the instagram.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I think it is totally worth the money and the discounted price makes it nearly impossible to resist. Despite what others have brought up, the hollow grind is superbly done and it makes the best use of the blade width to keep it thin behind the edge. I also love the F&F, blade steel is a performer that is easy to sharpen, flips easy, etc. Best part for me is the blade to handle ratio. Usable edge rivals the Military.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

xceptnl wrote:I think it is totally worth the money and the discounted price makes it nearly impossible to resist. Despite what others have brought up, the hollow grind is superbly done and it makes the best use of the blade width to keep it thin behind the edge. I also love the F&F, blade steel is a performer that is easy to sharpen, flips easy, etc. Best part for me is the blade to handle ratio. Usable edge rivals the Military.
Absolutely agree!
I was gonna say, my current Southard cuts and slices llike a razor!
It will really,really surprise ya imo.
It's just a wonderful blade.
wheats

Post by wheats »

My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

wheats wrote:My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
Those are some nice blades you've added. :)
If ya don't mind my asking, how well do you like the lil nilakka?
I have the original zero grind version ( Big Nilakka)and love it. Always thought about adding the little one...
bh49

Post by bh49 »

It looks like I am in micro minority. I handled this knife on the knife show shortly after they came out. I didn't find any attraction in this blade. I really do not need another 4 mm thick blade.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
wheats

Post by wheats »

MacLaren wrote:
wheats wrote:My "last" purchase of the year was a K390 Urban back this summer. Since then, I've added a Lil Nilakka, PITS,Positron (returned), and just ordered Southard. To answer the question, absolutely you need one.
Those are some nice blades you've added. :)
If ya don't mind my asking, how well do you like the lil nilakka?uu
I have the original zero grind version ( Big Nilakka)and love it. Always thought about adding the little one...

Absolutely love it. It is far from a hard user though. As a collectible or light office work, it's a great piece.