Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby ThePeacent » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:16 am

anybody knew about this? :eek:
sal wrote:Hi Atv,

We can consider it, but usually people buying diving or "boat" knives want them to be very inexpensive on the theory that they might lose it. Quality performance knives cost more to build and are generally more expensive to purchase. We've not done well with them enough to maintain inventory.

We have a model in-the-works that was designed by a kayak fisherman, but it has a point. When I'm in or near water (canoe, kayak, sail, snorkel) I carry a Salt but I like a point. I can do things with a point on a knife that I cannot easily do without one.

sal

twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2939
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby twinboysdad » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:19 pm

ThePeacent wrote:anybody knew about this? :eek:
sal wrote:Hi Atv,

We can consider it, but usually people buying diving or "boat" knives want them to be very inexpensive on the theory that they might lose it. Quality performance knives cost more to build and are generally more expensive to purchase. We've not done well with them enough to maintain inventory.

We have a model in-the-works that was designed by a kayak fisherman, but it has a point. When I'm in or near water (canoe, kayak, sail, snorkel) I carry a Salt but I like a point. I can do things with a point on a knife that I cannot easily do without one.

sal
I bet Lance knows something

User avatar
Slumblor
Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Slumblor » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:31 pm

sal wrote:I was looking at Joyce's catalog section on Sprints and it seems we have a half dozen or so Sprints scheduled from Seki.

sal

User avatar
xceptnl
Member
Posts: 8350
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:48 pm
Location: Tobacco Country, Virginia
Contact:

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby xceptnl » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:33 pm

Slumblor wrote:
sal wrote:I was looking at Joyce's catalog section on Sprints and it seems we have a half dozen or so Sprints scheduled from Seki.

sal
Yay, more Japanese supersteels are likely
Image
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*

User avatar
DougC-3
Member
Posts: 3426
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:22 pm
Location: The zone between the zone... between the zone...

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby DougC-3 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 am

twinboysdad wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:anybody knew about this? :eek:
sal wrote:Hi Atv,

We can consider it, but usually people buying diving or "boat" knives want them to be very inexpensive on the theory that they might lose it. Quality performance knives cost more to build and are generally more expensive to purchase. We've not done well with them enough to maintain inventory.

We have a model in-the-works that was designed by a kayak fisherman, but it has a point. When I'm in or near water (canoe, kayak, sail, snorkel) I carry a Salt but I like a point. I can do things with a point on a knife that I cannot easily do without one.

sal
I bet Lance knows something
Remember the thread where Lance used a very pointed modified Jumpmaster 1 (I think) in his kayak? Did that influence the design of the Jumpmaster 2 or Aqua Salt? Or maybe what Sal is talking about?
:spyder: :cool:
Upcoming on my spydie-radar: M4 Dodo, 20CV M2, LW Lil' Native, then LW P3 or Sage 5? brown DLC M390 M2? ;) :spyder:

ThePeacent
Member
Posts: 2847
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:45 am
Location: Barcelona, Spain

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby ThePeacent » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:53 am

DougC-3 wrote:
twinboysdad wrote:
ThePeacent wrote:anybody knew about this? :eek:
sal wrote:Hi Atv,

We can consider it, but usually people buying diving or "boat" knives want them to be very inexpensive on the theory that they might lose it. Quality performance knives cost more to build and are generally more expensive to purchase. We've not done well with them enough to maintain inventory.

We have a model in-the-works that was designed by a kayak fisherman, but it has a point. When I'm in or near water (canoe, kayak, sail, snorkel) I carry a Salt but I like a point. I can do things with a point on a knife that I cannot easily do without one.

sal
I bet Lance knows something
Remember the thread where Lance used a very pointed modified Jumpmaster 1 (I think) in his kayak? Did that influence the design of the Jumpmaster 2 or Aqua Salt? Or maybe what Sal is talking about?
I suppose it must be so. Whatever it is, H1 or LC200N and pointy fixed blade in whatever configuration just does it for me. It's just that nice and good for my uses and preferences :rolleyes:

User avatar
Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 5192
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Spydergirl88 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:42 pm

sal wrote:Hi Senate,

It's a redesign. Blade, washers, bearings, holder all new.

sal
referring to Advocate
Team Wire Clip
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9286
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Donut » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:25 pm

Half a dozen sprints? It could be one steel.
1. Endura
2. Delica
3. Stretch
4. Dragonfly
5. Ladybug
6. Manbug
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
sal
Member
Posts: 12027
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:00 pm
Location: Golden, Colorado USA

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby sal » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:13 pm

That's one run with a new steel. Plus a few more.

sal

User avatar
Slumblor
Member
Posts: 618
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:41 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Slumblor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:36 pm

sal wrote:That's one run with a new steel. Plus a few more.

sal
That's what we like to hear! Can't wait to see what the new steel will be.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 4533
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Ankerson » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:01 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
sal wrote:Hi Senate,

It's a redesign. Blade, washers, bearings, holder all new.

sal
referring to Advocate

Been carrying mine for awhile and haven't had any sort of problems.

User avatar
thewoodpecker
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 pm

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby thewoodpecker » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:11 am

Donut wrote:Half a dozen sprints? It could be one steel.
1. Endura
2. Delica
3. Stretch
4. Dragonfly
5. Ladybug
6. Manbug
7. Caly 3.5 ??? :(
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue User

Blade and Flame
Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:39 am

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Blade and Flame » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:43 am

sal wrote:No walker's planned for 2018, but I'll put in a request for '19.

sal
It's going to be a long wait, but the tease of a C22 run is quite exciting…

User avatar
Donut
Member
Posts: 9286
Joined: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:47 pm
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Donut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:39 pm

thewoodpecker wrote:
Donut wrote:Half a dozen sprints? It could be one steel.
1. Endura
2. Delica
3. Stretch
4. Dragonfly
5. Ladybug
6. Manbug
7. Caly 3.5 ??? :(
No, 1 through 6 are Seki City, 7 is Moki.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak, Pingo, and Cliptools with a Split Spring!

User avatar
T_MAC686
Member
Posts: 267
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:31 pm

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby T_MAC686 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:20 pm

sal wrote:That's one run with a new steel. Plus a few more.

sal
Any hints on what the new steel will be for the Seki (L-M-D-D-S-E) family?? I want to eventually pick up a Dragonfly but don't want to miss out on a new steel if there is an option coming up soon!!!

User avatar
Liquid Cobra
Member
Posts: 6203
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:38 pm
Location: British Columbia, CANADA

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Liquid Cobra » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:14 pm

sal wrote:Hi Foofie,

We're working on a Salt version. Heat treating the spring is challenging. What is it you (or others) would like to see?

sal
Yes!!!

Salt UKPK thread:
viewtopic.php?t=75065
Most recently acquired: Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra

User avatar
Sharp Guy
Member
Posts: 4509
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:19 pm
Location: Over here!

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby Sharp Guy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 pm

From over on BF regarding the FRN PM2 LW....

"Eric has been planning one for some time. The main advantage would be less expensive. Have to fit it into the queue.

sal"
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

rivy
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: Sun May 07, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby rivy » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 pm

Wow! FRN PM2 would be awesome. Wonder if they could keep the compression lock or have to change it.

crazywednesday
Member
Posts: 466
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:32 am
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby crazywednesday » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:52 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:From over on BF regarding the FRN PM2 LW....

"Eric has been planning one for some time. The main advantage would be less expensive. Have to fit it into the queue.

sal"
This in lc200n.... Shut the front door!
Justin

twinboysdad
Member
Posts: 2939
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:23 pm

Re: Sal's Casual Bombshell Thread

Postby twinboysdad » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 pm

There is one in-the-works.

sal

^^regarding a LC200N Native being run again for factory production


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ankerson, bearfacedkiller, Catamount123, Dazen, fanucman, Lumpy620, Mushroom, rabbitanarchy14 and 32 guests