Any update on the Police 4 K390?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wanimator

Re: Any update on the Police 4 K390?

Post by Wanimator »

You can put a real even controlled patina with a gun blue. Just make sure the one you use won't leave a toxic layer.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Ha, found my postimage account again! Talking patina on k390. This is my mule in k390 now in use couple of years in the kitchen..... :rolleyes:
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

anycal wrote:I don't know what's up with the spots?! Can't seem to clean them off.

Should I send it in to get it checked out?

Very nice.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

toomzz wrote:Image

Ha, found my postimage account again! Talking patina on k390. This is my mule in k390 now in use couple of years in the kitchen..... :rolleyes:
Me like!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
anycal

Post by anycal »

wrdwrght wrote:Very nice.
Thanks. I have been trying to keep it more oiled these days. So no new freckles :)
Peter
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Proud to have this good mans name on this blade. Another brilliant design.

(No knees of bees we're harmed in this photo) :D
Going back to Caly.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

SpeedHoles wrote:Proud to have this good mans name on this blade. Another brilliant design.

Aaaa :D , another justification for the extra blade and handle length: you can reach and cut down higher wasp nests and be a little farther away from getting stung. (no danger of cutting bees here -- what would the be doing in a wasp nest? :p :D )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

DougC-3 wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Proud to have this good mans name on this blade. Another brilliant design.

Aaaa :D , another justification for the extra blade and handle length: you can reach and cut down higher wasp nests and be a little farther away from getting stung. (no danger of cutting bees here -- what would the be doing in a wasp nest? :p :D )

Haha, good eye! :D
Going back to Caly.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

The Japanese Millie, that must have been in Sal's mind further developing the Police. Awesome knife and very interesting stuff that K390.
Last edited by toomzz on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Arrived today and seems like a very nice design, think it will see quite a bit of use.
Did get unlucky with the edge, expected this to be one of my best slicers but it actually won't even shave out of the box..
Will have to sit down and sharpen before going to bed.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joris,

Sorry 'bout the edge, but you're a bit picky about edges anyway. I'm sure you can figure out how to sharpen it. ;) More than likely, better than new anyway.

Can you carry that legally where the store is?

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal wrote:Hi Joris,

Sorry 'bout the edge, but you're a bit picky about edges anyway. I'm sure you can figure out how to sharpen it. ;) More than likely, better than new anyway.

sal
Haha, actually still working it out, planning to go at it again in a bit. Have already spent about 90 minutes at it with the coarsest diamond stones from the Wicked Edge, so it actually is a bad one that slipped through..
Seems like some kind of burr along the entire edge on one side which is now nearly gone except for the first inch from the choil.
I guess bad ones end up slipping through everywhere sometimes, my first Chris Reeve, a Sebenza, about 6-7 years ago which I expected to be the most perfect knife I'd ever owned turned out to show up new in box from an authorized dealer with an edge that was far worse than most Chinese made cheap blades..
Btw, this is my first proper bad edge on a Spydie in probably about 150 I have owned so that still isn't a bad score.

I'm not sure about the laws around the store since it's in the USA and I don't know the local State laws. ;)
Should be ok here except for the center of Amsterdam where even an SAK could be considered an illegal weapon.

Should have a like or better than new edge on it soon and eager to try it out by then!
(did get a ZDP-189 Stretch 2 in the same order so I didn't have issues getting stuff sliced up in the meantime anyway :) )
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I just shelled out the equivalent of $275 for one of these. I hope it's good!
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I already got the one with the bad edge so you'll probably get a perfect one! ;)
Very cool blade, my first Police, it was the K390 that pushed me to get it but the design itself is great as well. Apart from all that work on the edge I'm really liking this knife a lot.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the edge Joris. What angle are you using? . I understand K390 will take and hold a very thin edge. I sharpened the proto to about 20 degrees inclusive with no problems.

sal
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

sal wrote:Hi Joris,

sal
Just thinking of something, about where 'the store' is, do you possibly mean 'the Old Man' the main Dutch brick and mortar Spyderco dealer? Because there is a Joris working there who actually is pretty good at very precise sharpening and would be a bit more picky about edges anyway.. ;)
(I'm not all that good at sharpening to be real picky)
Where that store is is in the centre of Amsterdam and these days you're not even allowed to carry a SAK over there.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

For the edge I used 20 degrees on the wicked edge but will be refining it on the Sharpmaker since the wicked edge isn't very good at keeping a FFG blade straight so it's getting a bit better with touch ups on the sharpmaker but at least it has a good working edge now.
Do you mean 20 degrees as in 10 degrees on each side? I sharpened mine at 20 degrees each side so 40 degrees in total.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Joris Mo wrote:For the edge I used 20 degrees on the wicked edge but will be refining it on the Sharpmaker since the wicked edge isn't very good at keeping a FFG blade straight so it's getting a bit better with touch ups on the sharpmaker but at least it has a good working edge now.
Do you mean 20 degrees as in 10 degrees on each side? I sharpened mine at 20 degrees each side so 40 degrees in total.
He said inclusive so I took that to mean 10 per side. This means I need to thin mine and give that a try.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

xceptnl wrote:
Joris Mo wrote:For the edge I used 20 degrees on the wicked edge but will be refining it on the Sharpmaker since the wicked edge isn't very good at keeping a FFG blade straight so it's getting a bit better with touch ups on the sharpmaker but at least it has a good working edge now.
He said inclusive so I took that to mean 10 per side. This means I need to thin mine and give that a try.
That's what I thought, don't know if I'll be tough enough to dare to do that.. :rolleyes:
This blade is already a great slicer by design, good to know it can take edges like these, I might try a 30 degree edge, I like to keep it as a 'tough' user as well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I run my VG10 Police 3 around 10 degrees per side, then microbevel at 15 degrees per side on sharpmaker fine rods then UF. Can't imagine K390 having durability issues at these angles if VG10 doesn't.
:unicorn