30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mrtodd777

Re: 30 Day Fixed Blade Challenge...

Post by mrtodd777 »

One of my favorite fixed blades would be even better with the Spyderco treatment. The Mini Caper disappears in my pocket, but can also be worn on the belt. The full flat grind makes it a superb slicer, and the contoured cocobolo handles provide me with just enough length for a 4 finger grip. The forward finger guard is almost a necessity with a knife this size and makes this little thing extremely capable. I would love to see something like this with a super steel of your liking. Just my .02 cents.

ImageUntitled by Todd Crawford, on Flickr

Last edited by mrtodd777 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:
I'd love to see a wharncliffe Ark from the factory.

One of my most favorite small fixed blades is the Folts Minimalist wharnie. I've wanted one of the real Folts versions for years but never got my hands on one. That's a model I really wish Spyderco had the rights to, if I could get it in a better steel I would definitely own several of them, probably in several different blade shapes.
after many shapes, sizes and designs for small fixed knives the Wharnie remains king in my choices for a smallish EDC. If only it had the thin grind and steel of the ARK... :rolleyes:

for the price I can recommend the CRKTs, they're almost dirt cheap on clearance. I bought all 4 original models for the price of a new ARK and sold two of them
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

I'd love to see something like this in LC200N (sorry for the rough PhotoShop work):
street_beat.jpg
I'm imagining it with a 3mm thick blade and 3-3.5" length. The handle in the image may be a bit longer than I'm thinking. Was going for a shorter handle, clinch pick-ish.
Last edited by thewoodpecker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
sal

Post by sal »

Hey MrTodd,

How thick and how long is that blade?

sal
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

For me the perfect edc fixed blade would be something like the ESEE Candiru but in LC200N with a small notch in the back tang for fire striking with a 3.25-3.5 mm blade stock.

Small and light enough for every day carry bit tough enough and corrosion proof to handle emergency survival if called for.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Dup.
Last edited by thewoodpecker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

thewoodpecker wrote:I'd love to see something like this in LC200N (sorry for the rough PhotoShop work):street_beat.jpg

I seriously considered buying a Street Bowie and cutting it down into a wharnie. I haven't ruled out the idea yet, just test driving the Street Beat first.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Evil D wrote:
thewoodpecker wrote:I'd love to see something like this in LC200N (sorry for the rough PhotoShop work):street_beat.jpg

I seriously considered buying a Street Bowie and cutting it down into a wharnie. I haven't ruled out the idea yet, just test driving the Street Beat first.
I've considered doing the same and shortening the handle. Nothing wrong with the standard handle but when carrying a fixed blade EDC I prefer to have the most functionality in the smallest package...the Street Beat is pretty fantastic as it though. Hoping we get a full report.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

sal wrote:Hey MrTodd,

How thick and how long is that blade?

sal
Sal,

Overall blade length is 2.485"
Cutting edge is 2.186"
Thickness is .117" (3mm)

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much.

sal
ejcr98

Post by ejcr98 »

ejcr98 wrote:For me the perfect edc fixed blade would be something like the ESEE Candiru but in LC200N with a small notch in the back tang for fire striking with a 3.25-3.5 mm blade stock.

Small and light enough for every day carry bit tough enough and corrosion proof to handle emergency survival if called for.
Forgot to add that the knife should come with the scales included (charcoal gray G-10 or FRN) and the blade should not be coated and should not have a shiny finish. High hollow grind for a good balance between slicing and strength.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Hiking today, Mule and sheath worked beautifully as always. Elmax version today.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
bearfacedkiller

It is hunting season and I didn't get a knife pic, or a deer, but I had my Bradley Bowie and my Street Beat with me for a relaxing and somewhat chilly day in the woods today.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

-Darby
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Image
Those swick scales are gorgeous
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Just noticed some staining on my S110V
*Landon*
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

This thread has renewed my interest in carrying fixed blades again. I almost forgot how much I appreciate their utility.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Well I'm out. I've gotta make or find another sheath. This factory sheath is banging up my edge either going in or coming out or both.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

xceptnl wrote: Those swick scales are gorgeous
Thank you! The part that I am the most proud of was being able to match up the scales very well. Other than that it is just zebrawood, brass rods and Danish Oil. They are blocky but are actually super comfortable.

-Darby