To Those of You That Just Got a Positron ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: To Those of You That Just Got a Positron ...

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The detention feels a bit stronger on the orange one.
Thanks LQ!
Spydergirl88 wrote:my positron did not want to flip....
My orange one is actually a great flipper. Detent is much stronger than I expected. Now my Mantra feels weak when I flip it compared to the Positron. It flips fine but there's a big difference between the two.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Mine showed up. In order of annoyance:

It's pretty stiff. But I can already tell it's breaking in. The angle at which you pull your index finger back matters a lot. The blade doesn't really swing freely, I wonder if the pivot needs to be loosened a schmidge? These things ride on bearings, it should be super free right? I have another flipper with IKBS pivot and it swings fine.

And then there's the clip. I can live with this clip. It works. It doesn't get in the way of gripping the knife for light use. It helps with pulling the knife out of your pocket. But it makes the knife feel huge instead of just right. And it's the only part of the knife that looks dumb to me. Somebody may make a pretty penny selling clips for these things. This is the first Spyderco I've bought that I would consider buying an aftermarket clip. I might even just order some titanium and have a go at it.

Disengaging the lock isn't too bad. The lock bar does stand proud of the handle but not by much. One thing that took a minute to realize was that even though I didn't think I was disengaging the lock bar I actually was, it just didn't feel like it.

So yeah... it's a cool knife, it's not bad, but it's not perfect. I need to carry it around a bunch to really see how well it works as a user. I haven't cut anything with it but the blade looks completely amazing. Need to order another knife so I have a box to open...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

hoimin wrote: the flat of the end fit nicely against my palm and thumb muscle (thenar eminence)

Yep, I think this is key to ideal usage for this knife.
Going back to Caly.
Jwc77

Post by Jwc77 »

Pulled the trigger on the orange one. Can't wait til it shows up and I get to play with it...although the mixed reviews do have me a little nervous. This will be my first flipper.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I took the clip off last night and wow, this knife is amazing in the hand. It's really nice. Everything just fits and works. I've got some 6Al-4V coming to give clip making a shot.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

zhyla wrote:I took the clip off last night and wow, this knife is amazing in the hand. It's really nice. Everything just fits and works. I've got some 6Al-4V coming to give clip making a shot.
I agree the knife was much better without the clip. If one rounded/contoured the back of the knife to smooth the corners and backspacer, and added a bit of relief for access to the liner-lock, IMO this would be a nicer knife. I just didn't want to do the modifications.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:I took the clip off last night and wow, this knife is amazing in the hand. It's really nice. Everything just fits and works. I've got some 6Al-4V coming to give clip making a shot.
I took mine apart last night. It is very nice without the clip. I put the clip back on because, other than a Manbug, I don't like having my knives loose in my pocket.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

One weird thing, a bit of green paste came out of the pivot area after a bit of playing with it. Kind of strange.

Another thing I've noticed is the detente really works against you when closing. I think this is because it's so hard to get enough leverage to depress the lock all the way down. I'm thinking a nice mod would be to file or mill a small ramp on the blade right where the detente meets it in the locked position.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I am really working hard to convince myself to keep this knife. After reading instruction I became much better at flipping. About 9 out of 10. Using "cobra's" method I can close it easier. Clip can be better, but can be removed as well. We can work around this issues. I love Orange scales and the blade.
On another hand I already have plenty of gents knives, some of them more expensive, some about the same and none of them need "special" opening, special closing techniques, plus figure out what to do with clip. None of them have beautiful orange polished G10 scales though :(
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bh49 wrote:I am really working hard to convince myself to keep this knife. After reading instruction I became much better at flipping. About 9 out of 10. Using "cobra's" method I can close it easier. Clip can be better, but can be removed as well. We can work around this issues. I love Orange scales and the blade.
On another hand I already have plenty of gents knives, some of them more expensive, some about the same and none of them need "special" opening, special closing techniques, plus figure out what to do with clip. None of them have beautiful orange polished G10 scales though :(
Return it :p
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bh49 wrote:I am really working hard to convince myself to keep this knife. After reading instruction I became much better at flipping. About 9 out of 10. Using "cobra's" method I can close it easier. Clip can be better, but can be removed as well. We can work around this issues. I love Orange scales and the blade.
The scales really are beautiful. Makes me want a polished g10 ukpk!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Liquid Cobra wrote:The scales really are beautiful. Makes me want a polished g10 ukpk!

I could get along with that idea! :). Slightly contoured.
Going back to Caly.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SpeedHoles wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:The scales really are beautiful. Makes me want a polished g10 ukpk!

I could get along with that idea! :). Slightly contoured.
I will not be able to resist to slightly contoured polished Orange G10 UKPK or Caly3 :)
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bh49 wrote:After reading instruction I became much better at flipping. About 9 out of 10.
I don't know if mine broke in but I'm having no issue at all deploying after a couple days.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

zhyla wrote:
bh49 wrote:After reading instruction I became much better at flipping. About 9 out of 10.
I don't know if mine broke in but I'm having no issue at all deploying after a couple days.
may be you practiced more :)

kwselke

Post by kwselke »

After studying my CF Positron since Monday and spending some time learning holds, grips, flips, flicks, and tricks I love my new Positron. It will never replace my workhorse Delicas and Enduras, but it is a well designed cutting machine which I find easy to operate after a bit of practice. Things I've learned which may help.

Opening:

Holding the knife firmly with the butt on the base of your palm helps insure a solid sharp index finger flick on the opening stud. A solid flick will send the blade sharply into battery. If the finger flick on the heavy blade does not generate enough inertia the blade will only open partially. A partial opening is quickly remedied by a wrist flick to fully deploy the blade. With a bit of practice the opening finger flick will become natural and reliable.

Closing:

Lightly push outward on the release lever. The blade should drop out of full lock and stop on the ball bearing thingy. Move your finger clear of the release. Push on the back of the blade to close it fully. There will be some resistance. Do not expect the blade to free drop to the closed position.

The Clip:

I've carried knives rattling around in my pocket with coins and keys for most of my life. Only recently have I started clip carry. The beautiful carbon fiber scales of my Positron will not be subjected to a bottom of pocket tumble with who knows what. The clip fits my hand and adds support with many holds I experiment with.

I transitioned from Buck 500/501/502 knives to a Delica eight years ago. I did not particularly care for the Delica at first. I took the clip off for bottom of pocket carry and grudgingly learned it was not like the Bucks I had carried for years. It required thumb training, a little differ grip, and that clip thing... there might be something to it. Then I realized how great the Delica is. Eight Delicas, four Enduras, one Dragonfly, one Tasman Salt 2, two Manbugs, and two Ladybugs later I'm falling for a discontinued model that wants my index finger instead of my thumb. I may buy an orange Positron before they are all gone. :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

bh49 wrote:
zhyla wrote:I don't know if mine broke in but I'm having no issue at all deploying after a couple days.
may be you practiced more :)
I don't think it's practice, you just need to pull up with your finger instead of straight back. My other flipper has the flipper tab offset from the axis so pushing it down makes it move fast, that's not the case with the Positron.
wheats

Post by wheats »

Got my Orange an hour ago, sending it back. Flipping action is great, fit and finish are nice, can't get past the point at the bottom digging into my hand. Sucks to lose $10 in shipping but just isn't for me.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

wheats wrote:Got my Orange an hour ago, sending it back. Flipping action is great, fit and finish are nice, can't get past the point at the bottom digging into my hand. Sucks to lose $10 in shipping but just isn't for me.
Hey wheats, a little sandpaper should take care of that.
wheats

Post by wheats »

Sharp Guy wrote:
wheats wrote:Got my Orange an hour ago, sending it back. Flipping action is great, fit and finish are nice, can't get past the point at the bottom digging into my hand. Sucks to lose $10 in shipping but just isn't for me.
Hey wheats, a little sandpaper should take care of that.
Tempting. Any tips on how/what grits to use to not screw it up? Pictures of someone rounding these edges?