Toughest Spyderco Folder for knife-heathen?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
thombrogan

Toughest Spyderco Folder for knife-heathen?

Post by thombrogan »

Which Spyderco folder would you recommend for a person who is very brutal on pocket knives, but still won't abide by a broken tip? The knife can be right-handed or clipless and made from any type of steel, I'd just prefer it to be a :spyder:

Thanks in advance!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I would suggest a manix.

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since we're talking a right handed barbarian...

If price is not an issue...

Manix

Para Military

Military

Chinook II

Lil Temperance Leaf Point

As a lefty, the Manix would be my first choice. If I were a righty, I'd lean toward the Para, due to its size and weight. Then again, there are folks who complain that the Manix and Chinook II are too light. I also prefer a knife with a 50/50 choil, so of the 4mm blades, the Lil T is at the bottom of my list, YMMV.

Ti Salsa - Thinner blade that the ones above, but lighter weight too.

if price is important then...

Aluminum Herbst - Classy looks, strong tip, hard to beat for the price it's on sale for right now at SFO

Grey FRN Goddard

Salt I - Can be rode hard and put away wet. Pratices "tactical avoidism" on the tip strength issue.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
4 s ter

Post by 4 s ter »

If you don't want a broken tip - the Lum Tanto folder. No other Spydie folder has as substantial a tip.

David
David

"Not all who wander are lost"
"To liner or not to liner? That is the question?" -- Sal
"Rule number nine: always carry a knife." -- Special Agent Jethro Gibbs/NCIS ;)
JD Spydo

here, here

Post by JD Spydo »

I would have to second that "Lum Tanto Folder" but I would also add the services of The Military in S30V.
However my old Renegade has withstood it all and is like the Energizer Bunny and just keeps on going :D :spyder: :D
Jon_USA

Post by Jon_USA »

Manix

I have not found a way to break mine yet :p

Seriously the Manix is one heavy duty folder. Very strong. I know prying is not a good thing and there are tools for this but I had to do it...

I confess I pryed with my Manix. Not even a hint of blade flex and the thing is same as new.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

If he is very hard on them and Spyderco knives all haveing nice sharp needle tips I would chose the lum Tanto.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Simon G

Post by Simon G »

SS Pro grip. One heck of a working knife!

Simon.
"From this day to the ending of the world, we in it shall be remembered; we happy few; we band of brothers...for he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." -Henry V

"......and he that has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one." - Luke 22:36
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

Manix or Chinook II.

If it needs to be smaller/lighter, then Paramilitary. It would take major abuse to compramise the compression lock.
cmd

Post by cmd »

How about a Dodo? If that tip seems a bit "iffy" for the expected abuse then just get an Assist- it's hard to imagine anyone breaking a tip on that one.
AllenETreat

Post by AllenETreat »

I'd say either a Manix or Chinook or Lum tanto if you can find one Thom.

AET
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, awake in the day to find that it was vanity. But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes to make it reality.

T.E. Lawrence
Senate

Post by Senate »

Tough tips... I'd say Starmate and Wegner too but Lum tanto and manix are much more easier to find ;)
RLR

Post by RLR »

ATR Stainless... should be tough enough, and has a beefier tip...
HoB

Post by HoB »

Most definitely the Lil' T. The handle of the Lil'T is even thicker than the handle of the Manix and so is actually the blade (not by much though). And the shorter handle and blade puts less torque on the pivot.

I am not saying the Manix is a bad choice (it has replaced my beloved Lil'T as EDC) but as the Spydie that would take the most abuse, I would vote for the Lil'T.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Here's my list: not necesarily in that order:
ATR, Lil'T, Chinook I, Pro Grip SS.
As an experiment, I'd give him a FRN Pro Grip though ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

An "Assist I" would pretty much guarantee no broken tip...
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Thom!

Hmmmmm...I suggest you, er...your "brutal knife using friend" ( :D ) to try one of the SS Spydies, like the Pro-Venator, or whatever it's now called...I had an FRN Pro Grip, and that thing went through it ALL and still maintained the tip due to blade shape and thickness...I could never really get the Pro Grip to have a surgically precise cutting tip, but it did the job. I was even more impressed being that it was an FRN knife! No wobble, just a tad bit of vert play after a couple years of abuse...*sigh*.

I also beat the crap outta my SS SE Police, but being that tip strength is a concern here, I wouldn't advise this one...

Paul has a "point" about the Salt or even the Pacific...no actual tip to break, and that H1 steel is amazing...

Well, my 2 cents...hope all is good with you my friend, and God bless! OBTW, have ya sang your rendition of the Scooby Doo theme for Terry yet?! LOL! :D
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Sword and Shield

Post by Sword and Shield »

Chin2 or the LumTo. If he breaks either, it'd surprise me.

Now, teach a lighter touch, for :spyder: 's sake! I use slippies at work, some mighty thin blades, and I've never detipped one.
I am a man. But I can change. If I have to. I guess...-- The Man's Prayer, Possum Lodge #11.
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

Thanks, everyone! I ordered an original-style Chinook with S30V (thanks, pals in Fairfield, VA!). If that gets broken, I'm making him a bullnose lockback out of 5/8" thick S7. :eek:

Chad,

You know that I'm violently left-handed, so it sure weren't me. Hope you enjoy a sheep laugh before work tonight.

Thanks again, everyone!
"I knew you before you knew you had hands!" ~Tracey Brogan

"Ah-ha! A Spyderco moment!" ~Michael Cook

"Hawkbills - Sink in the tip and let it rip!" ~Axlis

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned" ~Richard Feynman
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Aloha Thom!

Again I say, "You Baaaa-d man you!" LOL! :D :D :D mahalo bro!

God bless!
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)