A first post regarding a first Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ZrowsN1s

Re: A first post regarding a first Spyderco

Post by ZrowsN1s »

carrot wrote:Since you're looking at a pretty wide variety of knives, I thought it'd be helpful to characterize them.

- Delica: the standard bearer for "every day carry". Light, slim, discreet. Versatile and a great performer (in FFG variant especially) but a little vanilla.

- Native: the "afi's choice". Similar to the Delica but has the crowd-pleasing finger choil for fine tip control. Carries a little wider and higher than the Delica, so less discreet. A little more comfortable for longer cutting chores.

- Dragonfly: the truly discreet carry. Great for urban use, cuts way outside its size class. Good if you like to be subtle, or carry the lightest, smallest tool for the job.

- Cat: urban knife for big hands. Similar to the Dragonfly but with much bigger hand-filling handles.

- Manix 2 LW: full-sized knife without the weight. Similar to the Native, but bigger. Perfectly fits in the hand and great for extended use. The wire clip and light weight make this knife feel invisible in the pocket.

- Raven and Crow: tough knives for casual users. These knives are thicker than they look and can take a beating. They trade some slicing ability to gain a sturdier build for users who may apply their knives to light prying duty. I'd characterize them as full-sized knives, despite their blade lengths suggesting a smaller stature.

- Chaparral: right in between the Delica and Dragonfly in blade length, but with a wonderful handle. Very slim, daintier than the Delica and Cat. Again a great choice if you like to be subtle and carry the smallest tool for the job.

You should also look at the Polestar and Alcyone. They're tough knives also, but slicing performance is on par or better than the aficionado classic, the Paramilitary 2.
Well said.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

dreadpirate wrote:Hi Jeb. I would say Delica or Native. I would give a slight nod to the Delica in terms of value and the handle design.
Hi, thanks if I get impatient waiting for the frn chaparral it's between those two!
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

carrot wrote:Since you're looking at a pretty wide variety of knives, I thought it'd be helpful to characterize them.

- Delica: the standard bearer for "every day carry". Light, slim, discreet. Versatile and a great performer (in FFG variant especially) but a little vanilla.

- Native: the "afi's choice". Similar to the Delica but has the crowd-pleasing finger choil for fine tip control. Carries a little wider and higher than the Delica, so less discreet. A little more comfortable for longer cutting chores.

- Dragonfly: the truly discreet carry. Great for urban use, cuts way outside its size class. Good if you like to be subtle, or carry the lightest, smallest tool for the job.

- Cat: urban knife for big hands. Similar to the Dragonfly but with much bigger hand-filling handles.

- Manix 2 LW: full-sized knife without the weight. Similar to the Native, but bigger. Perfectly fits in the hand and great for extended use. The wire clip and light weight make this knife feel invisible in the pocket.

- Raven and Crow: tough knives for casual users. These knives are thicker than they look and can take a beating. They trade some slicing ability to gain a sturdier build for users who may apply their knives to light prying duty. I'd characterize them as full-sized knives, despite their blade lengths suggesting a smaller stature.

- Chaparral: right in between the Delica and Dragonfly in blade length, but with a wonderful handle. Very slim, daintier than the Delica and Cat. Again a great choice if you like to be subtle and carry the smallest tool for the job.

You should also look at the Polestar and Alcyone. They're tough knives also, but slicing performance is on par or better than the aficionado classic, the Paramilitary 2.
:D thanks for the info, very handy - there's a lot to remember to place each knife correctly in my mind! The Alcyone is very nice I must admit. Im very keen on the frn chaparral, I liked the chaparral a lot, but discounted it for being over budget, hearing there is a lw version coming was good news. The native is very close behind though so it may still go for one of those in can't wait for the chaparral.. the 3" blade maybe slightly more suitable anyway
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

npad69 wrote:get the delica. it is my first spydie and what drove me deep into the 'hole'

spydies may look funny and sometimes fugly to those who aren't familiar with the brand, but the moment you hold one, you'll realize its in a league of its own
Ha, tbh the look of spyderco knives, at first, I couldn't decide what to make of them, being most knives Ive had are European trad folder in style. Didn't take me long to appreciate the design though, seems every aspect of the knife is well thought out and serves function. Ive learnt some good things take time to appreciate.. I have a Seiko monster watch that first looked fugly to me, now I love it!
RLDubbya

Post by RLDubbya »

Welcome to the forum!

My only suggestion: consider purchasing used second-hand. That way, whatever you buy (assuming that you take reasonable care of it) can be resold for about what you paid. You can cycle through all your choices this way, and when you finally find the one that you really like, you can purchase it new in confidence that you are getting the correct knife for your tastes and needs.

Have fun!!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Endura.Youl will never need another knife.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

RLDubbya wrote:Welcome to the forum!

My only suggestion: consider purchasing used second-hand. That way, whatever you buy (assuming that you take reasonable care of it) can be resold for about what you paid. You can cycle through all your choices this way, and when you finally find the one that you really like, you can purchase it new in confidence that you are getting the correct knife for your tastes and needs.

Have fun!!
Thanks for the welcome, I am happy to buy second hand, would suit my situation well.. I don't see that many on eBay for the models I'm after, if you have any recommendations on good places to buy second hand spydies I would appreciate any! Need to post to Ireland though.
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

Hi everyone, quick update.. I chose, and have just ordered...

The Manix LW translucent blue! It was the first I had eyes for. Nearly ordered the new chappy, I'm sure I'd be happy with either and will end up with both!

Thanks to all for the welcomes and help, can't wait for it to arrive.

Joe
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

jebrand wrote:Hi everyone, quick update.. I chose, and have just ordered...

The Manix LW translucent blue! It was the first I had eyes for. Nearly ordered the new chappy, I'm sure I'd be happy with either and will end up with both!

Joe
That was my second Spyderco after a dragonfly salt. I later moved on to the Military/paramilitary platform but that bd1 Manix is a very nice knife for the money. Enjoy!
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

Surfingringo wrote:

Joe
That was my second Spyderco after a dragonfly salt. I later moved on to the Military/paramilitary platform but that bd1 Manix is a very nice knife for the money. Enjoy!
Thanks! the thing that got me to pull the trigger on that knife was a good deal, 67 euros Inc delivery to Ireland.. that's half the price of eu sellers. Plus I hadn't realised the new chappy had started shipping, still fancy that knife as a smaller carry option.
alexthegreat

Post by alexthegreat »

I see the Delica is a major recommendation for a first Spydeco, would y'all suggest getting the one with the wave feature or no for a first?
Tell me, is it as warm in the summer as it is in the country, or vice versa?
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

alexthegreat wrote:I see the Delica is a major recommendation for a first Spydeco, would y'all suggest getting the one with the wave feature or no for a first?
The Delica is an awesome knife but I did not care for the wave version. It does it's job extremely well, too well for my EDC tastes. It pops at least partially open without conscious thought and deliberation. Great if you want to fight bad guys, not so great for just cutting apples.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Joe
I think you've made a great choice. Please let us know what you think.
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

Eli Chaps wrote:

Joe
Thanks, will do. Looking forward to it arriving. I like the unusual lock design, and although the bd1 isn't maybe seen as "posh" as some of the alternative steels, while I only have a whetstone I thought it sensible to get an easier to sharpen steel that still takes a good edge... Hopefully I'll get a new sharpening system in the new year!
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

jebrand wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote:

Joe
Thanks, will do. Looking forward to it arriving. I like the unusual lock design, and although the bd1 isn't maybe seen as "posh" as some of the alternative steels, while I only have a whetstone I thought it sensible to get an easier to sharpen steel that still takes a good edge... Hopefully I'll get a new sharpening system in the new year!
There is absolutely nothing wrong with BD1, especially on an EDC folder. I carry my BD1 version about as much as I carry my S90V version. No, it won't hold that super fine edge as long s the other steels but it will keep right on cutting your apples, opening your packages, and slicing up your boxes for a good long while in an EDC type environment.

I would recommend pursuing a strop and compound and give it a few passes each day or once a week. Stropping can be controversial but I like it, especially for maintaining the "softer" steels like BD1.
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

It's here! :) Love it, fits my hand perfectlyfit and finish is top notch and its the sharpest knife out of the box that I've ever bought. It's so light I kept thinking it wasn't in my pocket anymore causing a quick frantic search/check it's still there. One happy customer! Will post pics tomorrow if you'd like some.. The only problem is, I'm already looking which knife to get next that would complement it! A thin slicer like the chaparral or maybe save for a para 3.. or a ukpk/spy DK for when I'm in the UK..

Spyderco, you rock.
jebrand

Post by jebrand »

Eli Chaps wrote:
jebrand wrote:
Eli Chaps wrote:

Joe
There is absolutely nothing wrong with BD1, especially on an EDC folder. I carry my BD1 version about as much as I carry my S90V version. No, it won't hold that super fine edge as long s the other steels but it will keep right on cutting your apples, opening your packages, and slicing up your boxes for a good long while in an EDC type environment.

I would recommend pursuing a strop and compound and give it a few passes each day or once a week. Stropping can be controversial but I like it, especially for maintaining the "softer" steels like BD1.
Thanks, will give the stropping a try! I'm used to spending a min at the end of the day touching up a blade if it's been used on a whetstone so it's no bother to me.