I'm going over to Buck

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Re: I'm going over to Buck

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ZrowsN1s wrote: :p I had to laugh a little at this. I couldn't help envisioning you surrounded by pallets of supplies trying to figure out how you're going to open all the packaging. I'm sure you could claw away at that plastic with your fingernails just fine, it just struck me as funny, no offense intended.
If you can't easily figure out how to open a pallet wrapped in plastic, I doubt a knife can help you much surviving in a... what do you preppers call it... SHTF scenario? ;)

I also notice that you tend to mock an opposing opinion by an argumentum ad absurdum in the guise of a joke. :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote: :p I had to laugh a little at this. I couldn't help envisioning you surrounded by pallets of supplies trying to figure out how you're going to open all the packaging. I'm sure you could claw away at that plastic with your fingernails just fine, it just struck me as funny, no offense intended.
If you can't easily figure out how to open a pallet wrapped in plastic, I doubt a knife can help you much surviving in a... what do you preppers call it... SHTF scenario? ;)

I also notice that you tend to mock an opposing opinion by an argumentum ad absurdum in the guise of a joke. :D
Not really a "prepper" myself (aside form always having a good knife ;) ) I meant what I said by no offense intended. My sincerest apologies for triggering you Chuck (even though I clearly wasn't talking to you), I hope you manage to get over it eventually.

There is an ignore feature you know, maybe you should try it out :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ZrowsN1s wrote: Not really a "prepper" myself (aside form always having a good knife ;) ) I meant what I said by no offense intended. My sincerest apologies for triggering you Chuck (even though I clearly wasn't talking to you), I hope you manage to get over it eventually.

You are talking to everybody when you post even if you do quote somebody. Unless it's a PM.

See, you're doing it again. Haha. Any difference of opinion and you immediately make a joke out of it.

You do seem to be very good at disguising your snarky remarks. Also you are very good at evading the issue. Hehehe

Bottom line is some guy preferred something different from you. What do you do? You come back with a funny image with the implication that that is what the guy would look like opening plastic wrapped pallets.

But do go on. I'm sure you're also very good at justifying your snark. :D
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

If the "preppers-pallets" contain tinned goods, then it's back to a MT or SAK anyway.... or a can-opener.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I really like the idea of being a skill collector. Pair that with the inevitability of solar powered re-digesters and the concept of a baseline independent survivability is real appealing.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Should this be moved to Off Topic?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

What, pray tell, is “baseline independent survivability”?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

MichaelScott wrote:What, pray tell, is “baseline independent survivability”?
to me, it's having the skills and equipment to survive on planet earth with optional dependence on the rest of society. Individuals have always had that choice, but the amount of land/level of skill needed keeps getting improved with technology. That's quite promising!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The “baseline” is directly dependent on the status of civilization. It would be one thing to attempt to survive outside of a civilized world, and quite something else if that world ceased to exist. One would certainly be optional, the other not so much.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

dialex wrote:Fortunately, we are living these wonderful times when there are so many knife companies and knifemakers to spoil us with designs and materials for about just everyone. So (budget aside), eventually it all depends on personal prefference. There are people who use 5$ knives and are perfectly ok with that.
Good luck with the Buck. We'll be here when you'll feel the need for a knife with personality. ;)
Good to see ya man. Been a while. Hope you're doing alright my friend. :spyder:
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote: Not really a "prepper" myself (aside form always having a good knife ;) ) I meant what I said by no offense intended. My sincerest apologies for triggering you Chuck (even though I clearly wasn't talking to you), I hope you manage to get over it eventually.

You are talking to everybody when you post even if you do quote somebody. Unless it's a PM.

See, you're doing it again. Haha. Any difference of opinion and you immediately make a joke out of it.

You do seem to be very good at disguising your snarky remarks. Also you are very good at evading the issue. Hehehe

Bottom line is some guy preferred something different from you. What do you do? You come back with a funny image with the implication that that is what the guy would look like opening plastic wrapped pallets.

But do go on. I'm sure you're also very good at justifying your snark. :D
I'm not joking, my sincerest apologies for obviously getting under your skin. I try to ignore your posts and I genuinely hope in the future you ignore mine. No punch line, * just move on *.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

abbazaba wrote:Should this be moved to Off Topic?
Or the dust bin.
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

I might have missed something but looks like the OP in the space of one post, got a load off his chest in a civil manner, shared his future pursuits, and then true to his manifesto he moved on?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

roger-roger wrote:...then true to his manifesto he moved on?
:D
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TraumaRN904

Post by TraumaRN904 »

Hey... Buck makes nice knives. And they're affordable. Do I think some of our Spyderco products are a bit overpriced? Maybe. But I can tell you that every Spyderco blade I've owned has made me feel like I got a lot of blade for my money. Are they do-all knives? Look at the tips... That's their strength and weakness. Be smart. There are lots of different types of hammers, screwdrivers, axes, saws, and knives. Mission drives the gear.

Enjoy the Buck knives. I still have and treasure my Buck knife I got when I was a Boy Scout. Check back here from time to time. You might find something that fits what you need. Fair winds and following seas!
Gayle Bradley 1 (PE) CPM-M4
PM2 (Blurple) (PE) CPM S110V
Pacific Salt (SE) H1
Tasman Salt (SE) H1
Ulize (PE) VG10
Pingo (Black/Orange)(PE) N690Co
G-10 Dragonfly2 (PE) VG10
Holzfaeller

Post by Holzfaeller »

I like Buck knives. I like Spyderco, too and Case and Böker and Otter Messer...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

And B stands for Buck. :D
sal

Post by sal »

Hey Bodog,

I had a visual of you "slicing" your fruit with a 556 and cleaning up with mess with toilet paper. You have to admit that you would need a knife in a survival situation. :p

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Let’s imagine that “civilization” as we know it suddenly ceased to exist and I found myself spit out the end of some time-worm hole into the distant past bereft of humans with nothing but my clothing for survival. What would be one of the first tools I would set about making? Something that could cut and scrape, preferably with some kind of handle. With that elemental tool I could make other tools, such as a fire-making bow, cordage for building shelter and traps for food.

The knife came first in human tool making and it is still essential.

Back in the 1950s the book that introduced me to science fiction was “Tunnel In The Sky” by Heinlein. In it, a graduating class in survival was to be placed on a relatively earth like planet for an unspecified number of days, then brought home. You could take with you anything you could carry. If you survived, you graduated. The main character’s sister was a bad-*** combat space Marine who told him the smart thing to do was to take only two knives, one for backup. That way you didn’t feel like a one person Seal Team and by keeping a low profile you might stay alive. And in terms of having a handy, all-purpose tool, a good knife beats a gun.

Good story. Good lessons.

Team Innovation