To Those of You That Just Got a Positron ...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dreadpirate

To Those of You That Just Got a Positron ...

Post by dreadpirate »

I have found (as a right hander) that reversing the pocket clip makes the grip MUCH more comfortable. I got the carbon fiber model and am extremely pleased (with that mod in place). The flipping action right out of the box is perfect. The liner lock is different and required a different muscle memory but is not a problem after a few tries. If you find the knife has a hot spot, do try reversing the clip.
zhyla

Re: To Those of You That Just Got a Positron ...

Post by zhyla »

Seems like an awkward solution. Is the clip that bad when in the hand? I don’t expect to be breaking down boxes with this knife.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

zhyla wrote:Is the clip that bad when in the hand?
Yes
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Huh. Maybe there is an opportunity for a custom clip to solve this.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This knife was designed as an office knife, so it’s not really meant for heavy tasks.

As far as unlocking goes, I just use the fatty part of the end of my thumb to disengage. Works fine for me. I’m disappointed so many people are disappointed with this knife. I think it’s great for what it is. A fancy office knife.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

zhyla wrote:Huh. Maybe there is an opportunity for a custom clip to solve this.
I think you are right.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

I got mine, and first impressions are mixed. It will need some mods. At $90 it's a good deal, but I wouldn't pay much more.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

For this discounted price it's a fantastic bargain for the materials and construction.

But, some ergonomic quirks seem to be compromises. Compromises I'm not used to on my regular in-house designed Spyderco models that make little to no compromises for ergos. Just my perspective anyway.

Pointed finger grip is nice with it though, can control the tip well.
And I like the shiny orange and blade finish.
Haven't even cut much with it other than some paper and mail.
Mine flips satisfactorily, but is not a 10/10 finisher without an occasional wrist momentum alley-oop.

I don't have a huge issue with the lock access, but I have a bit tougher skin from certain occupations I've had, and I used to carry a Navaja often so I got used to that. But I can see why it's being a concern for many.

In the end though, it won't be kicking any models out of my pocket rotation, nor probably replacing any desk/table models I have sitting around to use.
I'll probably gift this carefully to someone I think could appreciate it more.
Going back to Caly.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

zhyla wrote:Seems like an awkward solution. Is the clip that bad when in the hand? I don’t expect to be breaking down boxes with this knife.
I don't think it is. Especially if you're carrying for light duty tasks. Such as in an office or as a gents knife.
Liquid Cobra wrote:This knife was designed as an office knife, so it’s not really meant for heavy tasks.

As far as unlocking goes, I just use the fatty part of the end of my thumb to disengage. Works fine for me. I’m disappointed so many people are disappointed with this knife. I think it’s great for what it is. A fancy office knife.
I have to agree and I, too, share your disappointment. I've been happy with the Positron for the four days i've had it. Which isn't too much time, but in that time i've handled the knife quite a bit. Have also flipped it open a lot. Flipping action was decent out of box but it's buttery smooth now and detent strength is good so its a nice, snappy flipper.

The only thing I wasn't too satisfied with was access to the lock. It's definitely not a deal breaker, but it's less than ideal. I use the same method of pushing the lock with fatty part of the end of my thumb when closing one handed but I've found that closing two handed using my index finger to press the lock is more comfortable.
-Nick :bug-red
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

I love my Positron, but only after some minor mods. After smoothing out the pointy butt, and opening up the presentation scale a bit for more lockbar access, this is a stellar edc. Thin blade stock makes for good slicing, and the blade shape is super functional. I also fully contoured the scales, and swapped the clip for a RGT milled one (which eliminates the clip hot spots altogether), and it's been one of my favorite edcs for a while now. Detent is strong on mine, and the flipping action is fast and consistent.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DigDug72 wrote:I love my Positron, but only after some minor mods. After smoothing out the pointy butt, and opening up the presentation scale a bit for more lockbar access, this is a stellar edc. Thin blade stock makes for good slicing, and the blade shape is super functional. I also fully contoured the scales, and swapped the clip for a RGT milled one (which eliminates the clip hot spots altogether), and it's been one of my favorite edcs for a while now. Detent is strong on mine, and the flipping action is fast and consistent.
I'd appreciate if you could post a pic of how you opened up the scale for better access to the lock bar. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to do it but it wouldn't hurt to see how someone else did it.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Sharp Guy wrote: I'd appreciate if you could post a pic of how you opened up the scale for better access to the lock bar. I have a pretty good idea of how I want to do it but it wouldn't hurt to see how someone else did it.
Sure, I'll post a pic once I'm off work later today.
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Sharp Guy wrote: I'd appreciate if you could post a pic of how you opened up the scale for better access to the lock bar.
Here are a couple. Basically just used a dremel to exaggerate the curve in the handle (presentation side), revealing more of the lockbar for easier access.
ImageImage
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I am actually thinking about getting the orange version of the Positron. It is an odd knife for a Spyderco and am not too surprised to see the mixed reviews.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DigDug72 wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote: I'd appreciate if you could post a pic of how you opened up the scale for better access to the lock bar.
Here are a couple. Basically just used a dremel to exaggerate the curve in the handle (presentation side), revealing more of the lockbar for easier access.
Looks good Dig Dug. I need to do something similar to mine if I want to actually use it because it's not workin' for me the way it is. I like the knife otherwise.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I received the orange version today. I can confirm that the lock is actually pretty darn difficult to unlock with my thumb. My original carbon fiber version wasn’t this stiff. So there seems to be a difference between the two versions. Using my index finger to disengage the hand one handed actually works really well for this knife. It’s easy, doesn’t hurt and is kinda fun.

Anyway, I’m happy with it so into my pocket it goes.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
hoimin

Post by hoimin »

I liked it while I had it, but ended up moving it for something else because a flipper office knife was a bit incongruous to my usage.
The internal design was beautiful (captured liner lock), but the handle had some weird design choices.

1) the handle was sized and contoured in thickness for a comfortable (albeit small) hammer grip, which is not a grip I'd ever use for a small office slicer
2) smoothly contoured sides with oddly pointed end... the flat of the end fit nicely against my palm and thumb muscle (thenar eminence)
3) I really liked the profile of the Positron and I was okay with the harder to access liner. Press thumb in towards the spine of the handle before pushing to the side so your thumb pad gets enough leverage.
4) Never had a problem with the clip in hand, but coupled with the smooth CF, it was pretty easy to snag out of the pocket with an errant bag strap (which happened to me. CF + parking lot = less CF).
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I received the orange version today. I can confirm that the lock is actually pretty darn difficult to unlock with my thumb. My original carbon fiber version wasn’t this stiff. So there seems to be a difference between the two versions. Using my index finger to disengage the hand one handed actually works really well for this knife. It’s easy, doesn’t hurt and is kinda fun.

I was checking my orange one out some more last night. The lock bar is pretty stiff compared to other liner locks I have. I think that's the main reason it's so difficult to unlock, not the limited access. I finally realized I can use my thumbnail to unlock fairly easily. Not ideal but better.

I was wondering if there are differences between the Orange KC Exclusive and the CF one. How's the detent on your orange one compared to your CF one?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

my positron did not want to flip so I was actually able to easily open the knife using the small spydie hole. but the lockbar chewed up my thumb which has never happened to me before and I have owned several different liner lock spydies some with harder to access lockbars but never did they chew up my thumb. would rather spend my $90 on a different spydie
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I received the orange version today. I can confirm that the lock is actually pretty darn difficult to unlock with my thumb. My original carbon fiber version wasn’t this stiff. So there seems to be a difference between the two versions. Using my index finger to disengage the hand one handed actually works really well for this knife. It’s easy, doesn’t hurt and is kinda fun.

I was checking my orange one out some more last night. The lock bar is pretty stiff compared to other liner locks I have. I think that's the main reason it's so difficult to unlock, not the limited access. I finally realized I can use my thumbnail to unlock fairly easily. Not ideal but better.

I was wondering if there are differences between the Orange KC Exclusive and the CF one. How's the detent on your orange one compared to your CF one?
The detention feels a bit stronger on the orange one.

@liquid_cobra