Any Interest For A CPM REX 121 Mule?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
El Gato

Any Interest For A CPM REX 121 Mule?

Post by El Gato »

I would like to ask if there is any interest in a future Mule Team, or perhaps other knife models, in CPM REX 121 tool steel.
Please refer to the link for Crucible's Data Sheet for REX 121:
https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prod ... pm121.html

A few quotes from Crucible:
"CPM REX 121 is a high vanadium cobalt bearing tool steel designed to offer a combination of the highest wear resistance, attainable hardness ..."

"Its superior wear resistance (due to the high vanadium content) helps maintain a sharp cutting edge ....."

"CPM REX 121 also bridges the performance gap between high alloy tool steels and carbide materials."

"Wear Resistance (depends on application and hardness) approximately 50%-100% better than T15, CPM REX 76 or CPM 10V."

"Toughness (depending on heat treatment) approximately comparable to CPM 15V, CPM REX 76 at maximum hardness, or conventional T15."

REX 121 has a high percentage of Carbon 3.4%, Molybdenum 5.0%, and Vanadium 9.5%.
It also has high percentages of Tungsten and Cobalt that contribute to hot hardness. Not greatly important in a knife blade, but also not objectionable.

So, my question is: Would anyone else besides myself be interested in trying CPM REX 121 in a future Mule, or other knife model?
This could be a possibility if there is sufficient interest. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. :)

Dave
Evil D

Re: Any Interest For A CPM REX 121 Mule?

Post by Evil D »

I know there was talk of this at some point, I feel like maybe they went with Maxamet instead but don't quote me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
swigert

Post by swigert »

Evil D wrote:I know there was talk of this at some point, I feel like maybe they went with Maxamet instead but don't quote me.
That’s what I thought also.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

That had been the plan back in Sept. 2015
sal wrote:[REX 121 is] very expensive to purchase and process. We have a run being produced for us for a Mule Team.

sal
...but in a post from July 2017, it looks like Maxamet happened instead.
sal wrote:BTW, we did some testing with Rex 121 and opted for the Maxamet as a Mule team test instead.

sal
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Rex 121 isn't as great as it sounds on paper. 15V, S125V, and, to a lesser extent, Maxamet do what Rex 121 is supposed to do for knives.

I'd rather see a Vanadis 10 and 15V mule.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I'm still waiting for the proposed bronze mule. I'd buy that in a hurry.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I'd try it (in a signature folder), but I'm a user, not a maker. I'd imagine Spyderco, being a maker of duplicates, would see (has seen?) the wear-resistance of REX121 to be quite daunting.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”