Carrying a knife in a "no knives" workplace.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
amishviking

Carrying a knife in a "no knives" workplace.

Post by amishviking »

I've carried a knife nearly daily since graduating from high school 17+ years ago. I have carried everything from 2" blades to 4.5" depending on the nature of my line of work and/or just breaking in my latest blade crush.

I started a job 7 months ago and the company has a "no knife" policy. This is the first place that I have worked with such a draconian policy. The policy I'm referring to is actually stated as "No Contraband allowed" and in a later statement defines contraband as many things including knives. The "No Contraband" sign is only posted when entering through the vistor's entrance. The only blade allowed is a company supplied awful safety box cutter, that would require a tool belt or gigantic sheath/holster to carry.

When I first started there I decided to carry more inconspicuous grey knives, without being aware of the no knife policy. Finally about a month in when I was more comfortable at work, I chose to carry my blurple native. The first day I carried the flashier native the HR manager pulled me aside to inform me of the no knife policy. He was very nice and professional about letting me know. I have since defiantly pocket carried my knives and used them in private spaces. To my benefit the HR manager has moved on so no one has officially told me I was doing something I shouldn't. I plan to carry until forced to give up an edc.

Anybody else out there that chooses to rationalize the benefits of an edc even though you know you're not supposed to?
SpeedHoles

Re: Carrying a knife in a "no knives" workplace.

Post by SpeedHoles »

Huh, never had to deal with such a policy, fortunately...

But I don't see a problem with carrying a tool with you on the job or at a workplace.
Going back to Caly.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would just be super careful. Seeing thats it's against company policy, i would assume someone discovering it is grounds for dismissal and thus too risky for my tastes.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
FK

Post by FK »

I would carry a Dragonfly inside pocket (not clipped and showing).
When you need it,, easily concealed in hand.

At my old office position, I opened a ream of copy paper with a Delica,,, standing nearby, the accounting manager jumped back and she ran down to the presidents office and complained. He called me in and smiled as he opened his desk drawer and displayed several high end folders.
Official policy was "no weapons" however, I never heard another word about the Delica.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

FK wrote:I would carry a Dragonfly inside pocket (not clipped and showing).
When you need it,, easily concealed in hand.

At my old office position, I opened a ream of copy paper with a Delica,,, standing nearby, the accounting manager jumped back and she ran down to the presidents office and complained. He called me in and smiled as he opened his desk drawer and displayed several high end folders.
Official policy was "no weapons" however, I never heard another word about the Delica.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001

Hopefully your president possibly educated her on the differences between utilizing a blade as a tool and using one as a weapon, and that the ream of copy paper felt no pain from the clean cut of a precise slice.
Going back to Caly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I know of someone who works in a rural health setting that has only doorknob lock security, no cameras, no on site security at all, and where law enforcement response is anywhere from five minutes, best case scenario, to whenever they can get there. They have had mass shooter training which boiled down to “run away, don’t worry about anyone else, hide”. I’m not joking. After the training someone went around and pasted “No weapons, no drugs…" etc. signs on all the doors. "Weapons" were pictorially shown as guns and knives.

It’s a rural area in the southwestern United States. It’s rare to find a male over ten who isn’t toting some kind of pocket knife, including those who work there, many of whom have their knives clipped to their pockets. And it’s also not unusual that a great many men, if not most, and some women carry a concealed handgun. Where I live, pot is legal and opiate seeking behaviors are commonplace.

The unofficial policy is “don’t ask and don’t tell”.

I suspect the no weapons sign is there to meet legal and liability requirements. But, when the feces impacts the air circulatory mechanism, such niceties are often the opposite of effective.

If the no-knives rule were actually enforced my friend would be working elsewhere.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If SD is a concern, carry something and never get it out unless it's go time. If utility is your concern, use their box cutter and don't worry about it. Either way, no one needs to see an outside blade ever, if you carry it
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Find another job.. And another reason to work for your self..
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Basically every job I've ever had. The key is not to make a big deal about it. Don't go flicking your spydie out and waving it around. It's also a good idea to carry the approved cutting tool just in case.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Man, I sympathize with you and it just isn't fair that any place would have this policy for people who are not seeking to harm/attack others, who just want to enjoy and carry and use a useful tool. While this was not a workplace, I visited a museum and they had posted a sign about what was not allowed in, and to my surprise, the sign actually said knives with blade lengths above/greater than 2 to 2 and a half inches, basically any knife with a 3 inch or above blade length was not allowed in. I suspected as much before I went there, and instead of my Spyderco Delica I carried a small keychain Swiss Army Knife. I explained to them that I had it and the security guards were polite and friendly enough; they had me keep it with them and they returned it to me when I was ready to leave. Still, I think the policy is ridiculous and nonsense, and does not really protect people.

I would say in your situation, as others have advised, be careful and do what is comfortable within the stated rules, as long as you are there.
Last edited by SpyderEdgeForever on Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

In this day and time, at the minimum, I'm gonna have a knife on me. In a SHTF scenario, a knife can save your life. Now I'm not one of the 'end of civilization' prepper type guy, but I will have a knife on me even if I have to break a few rules to do it. I work for myself so I carry what I want, but in your shoes I would carry discreetly, keep my mouth shut, and play dumb if questioned. It's terrible advice I know, but it's honestly what I would do.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

By the way, this raises a question I have for anyone here who has worked in the medical field. Michael and others: You said in some hospitals and medical buildings they have signs and rules against the workers carrying knives. Is this a general rule as most modern hospitals and clinics go, for their employees, or is it specific for certain ones in certain places? One reason I ask is because I have a friend and he works in such settings and I was considering getting him a quality Spyderco folder as a Christmas and Chanukkah gift. I asked him if they allow him to carry knives and he told me he needs to check into it: So far he said he knows he can carry those blunt-tipped EMT Shears without a problem, but he has to check in and see if he can carry an actual folding locking pocket knife. Do you think a good one, if they allow it, would be to get him a Rescue or Atlantic Salt model since it has the sheepsfoot point and can be used for medical-related cutting chores?

And while this again was not a workplace issue, I remember once visiting a family restaurant, this was many years ago, and even back then, in the restaurant they claimed they preferred customers do not bring knives inside the doors because they are considered "Dangerous Weapons" and yet , their kitchen is full of knives.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I've broken the no knife rule just about everywhere it isn't a felony :D We don't have an official policy at work, but I'm pretty sure if I asked if it's all right for me to be carrying 3 knives they'd say no. As other have mentioned the key is discretion.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

ZrowsN1s wrote:if I asked if it's all right for me to be carrying 3 knives they'd say no.

Never bring up the 4th one and reveal it's location. :p
Going back to Caly.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^Lulz
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

You should be fired from that company. You're knowingly disregarding their rules.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a trend that is growing across our wonderful country ( USA) and it disturbs me greatly. About 8 years ago I had a temporary job where they had that same policy. After talking to my boss at that time who seemed to be a decent guy I convinced him that I could actually be better equipped for the type of work I was doing if I was at least allowed to carry my Victorinox Swiss Tool which by the way has two knife blades in it's great assortment of tools.

Thank GOD I was only there for two months and two weeks because I really felt naked being not allowed to have my main EDCs with me. Come on Foliks!! this is the USA and we have Constitutional Rights in this great country and we have SEcond Amendment rights as well within the framework of our Constitution and Bill Of Rights. Why would any workplace not allow a decent tax paying, law abiding citizen not to be able to equip themselves with the tools that individual deems necessary.

The only time I don't EDC at least two Spyders is when I have to fly somewhere>> thank GOD it's not that often that I do. If it were me I would find another job as soon as possible. My workplace shouldn't resemble a jail. The only people that don't have rights in our country are prisoners doing jail or prison time or slaves and we abolished that atrocity a long time ago. Free people should have the rights of free people IMO.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

this_is_nascar wrote:You should be fired from that company. You're knowingly disregarding their rules.
Not sure if serious?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

twinboysdad wrote:
this_is_nascar wrote:You should be fired from that company. You're knowingly disregarding their rules.
Not sure if serious?

I wasn't gonna take the bait... although I figure someone had to go to that view at some point.
Going back to Caly.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would just conceal it and be discreet. To me concealing means not only keeping it from being seen but also not ever telling anybody you are carrying. I have never been in a situation like that regarding employment but I do carry a knife past signs that say no weapons fairly often. My doctors office is in the hospital in my tiny town and they have a no weapons sign that says no knives and I have gone in there with knives visibly clipped to my pocket. Nobody has ever said anything.

Employment is a different situation though and only you know how strict they actually are and only you know how much of a risk you are taking. If I was truly worried about it I may just resort to carrying a SAK or a Multitool so at least if you had to you could argue that it is not a weapon.

We obviously do not need to know where you work but would you mind telling us what you do, or what your company does?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?