VG 10 vs. SV30

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

VG 10 vs. SV30

Post by fredswartz »

I have all these boxes left over from Christmas in addition to boxes left over from buying and selling on ebay etc. I have used my Delica (VG10) to cut them up and feed them into the woodstove. I can usually cut boxes for a week before putting an edge on the Delica, and then usually a Gatco Cross-X does the job. Does anyone have any opinions on the advantages of S30V over VG10 in the real world? I don't presently own any knives with S30V. The Delica has gotten some hairline scratches from cutting up all these boxes.
Alan2112

Post by Alan2112 »

These two steels are so close, it was really hard to pick the better one, for me! For me, 30V is easier to sharpen, and takes a slightly better edge. VG-10 holds it's edge just ever so slight longer. I like 30V better, but VG-10 is still an incredible steel! RKBA!
p_leonard

Re: VG 10 vs. SV30

Post by p_leonard »

Hi, i know this thread is old but i was looking for something about hairline scratches on the blade and this seems to be the thread closest to it, the others are more on sheaths and handles..

Just want to ask if its normal to have hairline scratches on the blade of the knife.. use it daily for food, paper and boxes nothing really too heavy.. im using a vg-10 delica.. i tried taking a picture but its not that easy taking pictures of scratches.. ill post a picture when i get lucky..

will the scratches come off?.. am i maybe doing something wrong with how i use it or is it something thats normal and expected with everyday use?..

Thanks for any response guys.. :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

when you use a tool, it is normal for that tool to show signs of use.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Yes, it's absolutely normal. Just use and enjoy. Consider the fine scratches as marks of your history with the knife.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
p_leonard

Post by p_leonard »

Thanks!.. appreciate the response.. :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

My Delicas and Dragonflies all sport (or sported) many small scratches. Completely normal for a knife that gets used.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Cardboard can have all kinds of stuff in it that can scratch and dull knives. Copper, steel, not to mention clay and sand and other natural hard substances. Recycled cardboard is almost certain to have some stuff in it that isn't in the ingredient list. I would be surprised to not see scratches on my knives. Then there are the staples that are supposed to be there.

Joe
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

If you cut cardboard, you will get scratches. The harder the steel, the less scratches. H1 is the worst, along with that soft junk used for cladding ZDP and HAP 40.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

420J2 scratches if the wind blows too hard.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

You know what happens when all these micro-scratches come together and effectively blend? You get a refinished blade as your reward.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

If you like something with a smooth satiny finish VG10 is superior in my opinion but the other steel is good too.