4 D cell Maglights heads-up

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
J Smith

4 D cell Maglights heads-up

Post by J Smith »

I just got a sale paper from Lowes.Friday only they will have 4 d Maglights for 9.97.
I think I will pick up a couple.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Ray.Hood

Very cool, great price.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I have one, keep it in the car. Doubles as a nightstick.
klattman

Post by klattman »

I though maglites were awful. Until I threw away the bulbs and got an "everled". No more yellow light, almost as bright, never needs replacing, much tougher than a regular bulb, and runs for more than half a day on one set of batts.

Just a suggestion. There are many great drop-ins for maglites that improve them. And if you can pick up a few at that price, customization is reasonable.
CKE

Post by CKE »

Mag Lites are great...I think I have one in every vehicle and room in my house. My Streamlight Scorpion is on me though :)

How are the tail cap switches for the Mini-Mags????
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
Mancer

Post by Mancer »

Ye Mags are awsome flashlights, got a 6D cell myself, is blinding light and solid.
Great build quality, would hate to take a shot to the head with that thing.

Thanx for the heads up on the 4D

Cheers

MaNcEr
It's Time To Kick @$$ 'N Chew Bubble Gum
Stevie Ray

Post by Stevie Ray »

I used to keep a 3D maglight in the car full time. I had 2 or 3 of them ruined due to battery leakage (just the ones that were left in the car full time). I swapped over to an upgraded plastic body flash for vehicle duty .... no problems .. Go figure. The only thing I could think of was that there was some interaction between the batteries, the mag's aluminum body and changes in the weather.

I keep a couple of mag lights in the house ... and I've never had a problem.
Steve
Ted

MiniMag 2xAA

Post by Ted »

Does anyone how much the Maglite MiniMag (2xAA) costs at the moment at big shops like Wallmart?

Ted
rycen

Post by rycen »

About 8 dollars.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I just picked up 2 of the 4 Ds.
Ted,I will keep an eye out.Sometimes they run them at about 4.00 this time of year.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Ted

Post by Ted »

$8 :)
$4 :D

That's EUR 6 / EUR 3 WOOHOO HAA HAA
They go for EUR 15-20, if not more, here...
Jur, can you bring me some when you're in Florida :D :D
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Picked up a nice blue 4D today. Will put an EVERLED bulb replacement in and keep it in the truck.

Ted, I highly recommend a madmax or badboy to put in your new minimag. I have one and it is brighter and whiter than my ARC LS.
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
Ted

Post by Ted »

rorschach, I'll try do those. I was planning for an Opalec (already have on and like it a lot), but this will be a good oppertinity to try those out!

Ted
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Ho,Ho,Ho - Gentlemen, now you are talking. I hear you, customizing MagLights???? I don't consider MagLights the best choice one can make but, I must admit they are cheap and they are everywhere, just everywhere.

Sure Ted, I'll bring you everything you would like to have, no sweat! Special delivery for a FF (forum friend).

Please explain all the customizing possibilities and explain the parts needed and where one can obtain these parts...

"Shine a light...." Jurphaas.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Ted

Post by Ted »

Jur,

I currently use an Opalec Newbeam upgrade in my MiniMag.

http://www.opalec.com/products.html

This is a fully regulated (current+voltage) 3xled module. It gives a very nice flood light. You don't need the reflector anymore in the Minimag.
Very good for camping and close-up work. On 2xAA it runs at about 10 hours at full brightness. When it runs out of battery power, a small red-led indicates that.

What I've also used is TerraLUX MiniStar2. Now my brother-in-law has it.

http://www.terralux.biz/products/

This is a Luxeon Star led (like you have in your Arc LSL), which comes with a modified reflector. This one has much more light output and because you can still use the reflector, it has more throw (a narrower beam). Battery life is shorter of course then the Opalec.

Terralux also recently made a MiniStar1, which has 4x3mm leds. I haven't tried that one out yet.

What Rorschach is suggesting are the MadMax (MM) and BadBoy (BB) modules offered by TheLedGuy. There's a forum on CPF dedicated to these modules.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthr ... wichShoppe
I honestly still haven't figured out if these modules are ready to insert in a MiniMag, or if other stuff is required.

Another good upgrade for a MiniMag is a kroll switch. That's the same switch that's on your Arc LSL-L. What you can try is unscrew the rubber switch from your Arc LSL. Then unscrew the tail cap of your minimag and screw the rubber switch on the MiniMag. Now you have a clicky-MiniMag :)
Kroll switches are availble from the same site that sells the MadMax & BadBoy stuff.
http://www.anlighten.com/shop/default.php

My ideal EDC would be an Opalec module that run's on a 1x123 battery in a very small housing, like this one here:
http://dmcleish.com/CPF/E1E-NewBeam/index.html

Ted
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Ted wrote:
...MadMax (MM) and BadBoy (BB) ...

I honestly still haven't figured out if these modules are ready to insert in a MiniMag, or if other stuff is required.
Hi Ted, because I regularly use alkalines, I really like my MadMax (maxed out for brightness.) Once you buy one of the complete drop in modules , it is very easy to install . I also got the NX05 optic upgrade($1) , it works well.

Good luck!
Ted

Post by Ted »

Rorschach, thanks for the link. Never found that one before.
Do you know which model has the most throw/highest output/narrowest beam? (and doesn't melt the minimag... :p )
Probably one with a fraen optic?

Thanks,
Ted
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Yes, I think it is very close, and depends on the batteries you use. I think the Madmax will stay brighter longer, but BadBay initial brightness will be better. To complicate matters, I have an older MadMax, so things have likely changed.

I'll refer you to some newer data here
and here
and also here
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I just found some copper color AA maglights at Target tonight.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Rorschach where did you get the EVERLED and how bright is it compared to the incan bulb.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

Jeff, I got mine from LED Supply (on sale now five bucks off through tomorrow)
and they are brighter and longer lasting than the stock incan bulbs. Here's a runtime and brightness graph