"Talkin' Story"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: "Talkin' Story"

Post by Doc Dan »

You just have to love the K390 Urban!
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jumpin'Spyder

Post by Jumpin'Spyder »

elena86 wrote:The safest spydie I would offer to a non-knife person is my K390 Urban.The back spring is so strong in both closing positions that, unless you are retard, it's very difficult to cut yourself plus it's a very friendly looking spydie.So, yes, we need another LW Urban, this time in a stainless steel with a very strong 90 dgrs half stop.M390 or Elmax regular production.Please Sal !
ABSOLUTELY!
My Urban K390 is the most carried now: it beats all other little great knives I have (Lil Nilakka, Techno, DF2, Meerkat....and so on). He has a great patina and cuts all! Luckily I have a back up too.
Good for European Countries too.
M390, Elmax and why not Maxamet!?!?!? Would be awesome...NOT SPRINT EVENTUALLY :D
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Cool, thank you Sal and others for sharing your stories on this! Mine: I was at an outdoor social event and it happened to be the birthday of one of the folks, so, some people very kindly went and found a place that sells ice cream cakes and bought one. Problem: After they returned with the cake, it was apparent that the cake seller did not provide a knife to cut it. Guess who was on hand with his Spyderco Rescue, VG10? Your's truly here. And it sheared through that semi-frozen ice cream cake like the proverbial knife through hot butter. One of my close friends was so amazed at the quality and cutting prowess of the blade...that I later on gifted it to him and to this day he continues to use it in his shop and around the house and as an everyday knife.

Take note: The Spyderco Atlantic Salt and Rescue models make great "Mini Pocket Bread and Cake Knives"! :)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I have Dragonfly's and Classic SD's hidden all over my life, partially for this purpose, but mostly because they are incredibly useful. Sometimes a big blade isn't the best tool for the job even if I'm the user.

For the most part, I don't loan Spydies out anymore. Last time I handed one over, my very good friend opened a beer can tab with the tip of my freshly sharpened Maxamet N5.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I carry a Micra for this very reason.....and end up never using it :p My full SE Pacific Salt is the smallest knife I typically use, even if I'm at a baby shower or something. Never been an issue, but I live in a very knife friendly part of the world. Where girls will flick open my Military to check it out and multiple guys I know EDC a fixed blade. We have our own issues here but guns and knives are seen as every day objects like they should be.
:unicorn
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

sal wrote:I offered the Roadie to the lady. She opened it with ease (intuitively) cut the wrist band and closed it with ease (intuitively).
It would have been really interesting if she had asked you where you got the knife!

I have only rare occasions to offer a knife to another person. My office was doing a community service project where we do repairs at someone's house. A few different people asked to borrow my knife for things like opening caulk tubes. I don't usually loan out knives but I was carrying my Bradley Folder 1 and figured they couldn't do much to hurt it. I did warn them that it was very sharp. They used the knife and brought it back closed to they figured out the lock. Actually I find that most people can figure out a liner lock or the similar activation of the PM2. The Manix 2 is a bigger obstacle to them.

Somebody around me needs a sharp edge I will pull out whatever I am carrying which might be a Manix 2 XL or Military. Fortunately in my area people aren't so shocked a blades of that size.
Knife Knut

Post by Knife Knut »

I carry a Gerber EAB regular version for the multiple purposes of something of non scary size, lendable, very easy to carry due to small size, and as a blade I can abuse (pry, scrape, cut thin metal, etc) without worry since it is replaceable. It has served the purpose of a lent knife on multiple occasions, but none stand out much in my mind. I have been toying with the idea of adding a spyderco style opening hole to the blade holder, but a thumbnail between the blade holder and the scale suffices. The only other thing I would change about it is not using a proprietary screw that is difficult to retighten.
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

This thread makes me think there should be a Sage or another new model taking on the Vibroloc/style of an Opinel...
Donut

Post by Donut »

Tdog wrote:My 2 1/2 year old grandson came over and asked "Grampon where is your pocket knife?"
Dude, you really gotta tell him to stop calling you Grampon. lol! :o
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
eddiebob

Post by eddiebob »

I used a Delica to open one of my wife's packages. She handled it and asked "where's mine". One of her friends was there and said she wanted one too. I bought both of them a Ladybug for their purses and found it so very usable that I had to get one for myself. Ed B
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It is funny how women, who are normally not knife carriers, will take to a back lock Spydie so fast. The never need worry the knife will come open unintended in their purse or pocket. Also, women's clothes, for some reason, tend to have unrealistically small pockets. A Dragonfly or Ladybug is just the thing for those tiny pockets.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

My girlfriend asked for my dragonfly once to open a letter. When she took it, she only held it tentatively, and dropped it. It flew straight down like a guillotine and cut her the top of her foot. She still has the scar to this day. Put her off pocket knives, but not off me, thankfully.
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

I don't have a specific story really, just a few years of experiencing the occasional "OMG sharp thing" reaction to taking out a knife. That reaction is, however, why I tend to carry a smaller knife to social events and the like. The Dragonfly and Chaparral are ideal for this, as is my CRK Inkosi. These days I'll take the Caly 3 sometimes as well. It's not as small, but it's also very pretty, and is the opposite of "tactical", so it's not so bad; also, compared to the Delica or Sage 5, it's a little more tame-looking than orange FRN or a black handle. Generally speaking, for normal day-to-day, I don't really choose my carry based on this sort of thing. I might go grocery shopping or whatever with a PM2 or Endura and not worry about it.

Pro tip: The Nirvana is a bad idea for a kid's birthday party.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

Some years back when the Paramilitary was relatively new, one showed up in my mailbox. My brother had sent it to me. I put it in my pocket and headed out with my daughter to her soccer game. While waiting for the game to start, I was standing next to the fence and the ref was struggling to open something. He asked if anyone had something he could use to open it. I handed him the Paramilitary. His eyes got big, he said "I didn't ask for a hunting knife," but he took it and used it to open whatever he was trying to open.

A couple years later I was doing some work for a facility where "specialty metallic products" are processed, starting with the letter U. It is a highly secure facility. I did not know what I could carry with me. I watched a training video that covered procedures for getting through a check point. At one point you empty all your pockets and pass through a detector. When the video showed the process, the person in the video emptied his pocket contents into a bin, and there plain as day was a Paramilitary. I knew then that I could carry what I wanted inside the fence. Living in TN has its benefits even with government facilities.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Donut wrote:
Tdog wrote:My 2 1/2 year old grandson came over and asked "Grampon where is your pocket knife?"
Dude, you really gotta tell him to stop calling you Grampon. lol! :o
Funny, when he first learned "grampa" he said "grampon." My daughter thought it was cute and it stuck. Now she sometimes calls me "grampon" I love it :D
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Haha, well it's probably because he's only that good when he sees you once a month. I seemed to give my grandparents some of my better behavior at least.