Caly Jr. Sprint

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Japanese blade steel of choice for Caly Jr. Sprint?

Superblue
38%
VG-10
6%
HAP-40
22%
ZDP-189
7%
MBS-26
1%
Damascus
3%
Cobalt Special
2%
White Steel
12%
H1
4%
Other
6%

Total votes: 234

elena86

Re: Caly Jr. Sprint

Post by elena86 »

My safe queens :spyder:

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Who else would love to see the golden spydie appear on the pocket clips again? I know I would.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

xceptnl wrote:Who else would love to see the golden spydie appear on the pocket clips again? I know I would.
Me too! But only if the clip is black, black and gold looks very nice.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Love the gold inlays on the bug and clip. Really makes my Jr stand out and look sharp. Please bring that back Sal!
Josh
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

xceptnl wrote:Who else would love to see the golden spydie appear on the pocket clips again? I know I would.
Not a fan of black and gold, but I'd buy it anyway.
- best wishes, Jazz.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Jazz wrote:
The black on grey is a nice combo as well
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
Jazz wrote:
The black on grey is a nice combo as well
It's incredible what the right color combination can do when using one color on the pocket clip to enhance the color of the handle/scales. For instance I recently took one of my Ayoob models and removed the Gold Bug clip that came with it and replaced it with a silver>> and the Silver on Black combo on that C-60 Ayoob G-10 Sprint just made a vast amount of difference. That combo is just outright cool looking.

I think not only is this something that should be considered on a Caly jr. Sprint Run but it's probably something that would really be nice on several Spyderco folder models.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

What are the opinions on colors? I mean thinking outside the box, we could see some color combos we have not seen before. I'm not saying I would really be thrilled about a Zome scheme, but perhaps a color we have not seen before. I think the kelly green like the Delica 4s would be nice.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've got a suggestion and I don't mean to derail this most interesting thread but I've been thinking as popular as the Caly Jr. has been over the years with a conventional plain edge and a few units in Spyderedge why not expand it's variants and styles. What I'm getting to is to come up with a Caly Jr. with a different blade style. As popular as the Dragonfly Hawkbill has gone over as well as the Ladybug Hawkbill I was thinking how cool it would be if they did a Caly Jr folder with either a Hawkbill or Reverse S blade.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it and when you consider how popular the Ladybug Hawkbill and the Dragonfly Hawkbill have become in such a very short period of time. A Caly Jr. with a really thick Reverse S blade really intrigues me when I think of the possibilities of how useful that blade would be. The more I think about it a Caly Jr. with a thicker than usual Reverse S blade would be my first choice.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

HAP-40 uncladded.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I think the kelly green like the Delica 4s would be nice.
Yep, I agree with Landon on this. Or hunter green, or OD, or most any green except toxic slime green.

Joe
dialex

Post by dialex »

The Deacon wrote:VG-10 for me.
Same here :D
elena86

Post by elena86 »

dialex wrote:
The Deacon wrote:VG-10 for me.
Same here :D
I voted HAP40 but I would be very happy with VG10.Just bring the Caly jr. back
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:Well I've got a suggestion and I don't mean to derail this most interesting thread but I've been thinking as popular as the Caly Jr. has been over the years with a conventional plain edge and a few units in Spyderedge why not expand it's variants and styles. What I'm getting to is to come up with a Caly Jr. with a different blade style. As popular as the Dragonfly Hawkbill has gone over as well as the Ladybug Hawkbill I was thinking how cool it would be if they did a Caly Jr folder with either a Hawkbill or Reverse S blade.

It makes perfect sense when you think about it and when you consider how popular the Ladybug Hawkbill and the Dragonfly Hawkbill have become in such a very short period of time. A Caly Jr. with a really thick Reverse S blade really intrigues me when I think of the possibilities of how useful that blade would be. The more I think about it a Caly Jr. with a thicker than usual Reverse S blade would be my first choice.
I don't think it's derailing the thread, however though I personally would be interested in a Caly Hawk or a Caliarch, I don't know how well they would sell to the general public.
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:Well I've got a suggestion and I don't mean to derail this most interesting thread but I've been thinking as popular as the Caly Jr. has been over the years with a conventional plain edge and a few units in Spyderedge why not expand it's variants and styles. What I'm getting to is to come up with a Caly Jr. with a different blade style. As popular as the Dragonfly Hawkbill has gone over as well as the Ladybug Hawkbill I was thinking how cool it would be if they did a Caly Jr folder with either a Hawkbill or Reverse S blade.

I don't think it's derailing the thread, however though I personally would be interested in a Caly Hawk or a Caliarch, I don't know how well they would sell to the general public.
Well just look how well the DragonFly Hawkbill and Ladybug Hawkbills are selling. Actually I'm surprised at the success of both of those models so wouldn't it make sense to test out the Caly Jr. model in a new variant? I could be wrong and GOD knows I've been wrong a couple of times in my 13 years here at Spyderville but I have learned from my bad calls too.

Because I do find it interesting that the smaller Hawkbills are gaining success that the Harpy and Spyderhawk have yet to enjoy ( but it's coming I can assure you). Maybe even a Wharnie Caly Jr. might be the ticket. I would have never even bet as little as a two dollar bill on the success of the Ladybug Hawkbill. But I do believe these smaller Hawkbills will whet the appetite for the bigger ones eventually.

In a Reverse S type blade with a relatively thick blade it would make the ultimate work knife for a lot of different trades. Because look how the Matriarch keeps gaining fanfare>> not to mention the modest success of the Lil Matriarch. Something to consider while we're on the subject of how to revive the Caly jr.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

JD Spydo wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

Well just look how well the DragonFly Hawkbill and Ladybug Hawkbills are selling. Actually I'm surprised at the success of both of those models so wouldn't it make sense to test out the Caly Jr. model in a new variant? I could be wrong and GOD knows I've been wrong a couple of times in my 13 years here at Spyderville but I have learned from my bad calls too.

Because I do find it interesting that the smaller Hawkbills are gaining success that the Harpy and Spyderhawk have yet to enjoy ( but it's coming I can assure you). Maybe even a Wharnie Caly Jr. might be the ticket. I would have never even bet as little as a two dollar bill on the success of the Ladybug Hawkbill. But I do believe these smaller Hawkbills will whet the appetite for the bigger ones eventually.

In a Reverse S type blade with a relatively thick blade it would make the ultimate work knife for a lot of different trades. Because look how the Matriarch keeps gaining fanfare>> not to mention the modest success of the Lil Matriarch. Something to consider while we're on the subject of how to revive the Caly jr.
I could get down with a wharnie version of the Caly Jr as well. Maybe in SE with a 1/2" plain edge near the tip, a la 93mm Rescue models of years past.
*Landon*
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Boye dent, or no?
Going back to Caly.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I prefer the dent, but it will not sway my decision to buy or not buy.
*Landon*
embry386

Post by embry386 »

VG-10 or Damascus for me, but as long as it's something stainless I'll be happy. My decision about whether or not to buy one will depend more on the scale color and blade color than the steel type though. If this sprint has a black coated blade I'll probably buy like five or six of them, since I'm into the all-black tactical look. A black blade with a tan handle would be cool as well. Or a black blade with any handle color, I can just use dye on it to change it to black if I want, anyway.

It's a super cool knife, if they'd been selling these when I was in the market for an EDC then I'd have purchased one of them instead of my Native.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Glamour bump...

*Landon*