Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Liquid Cobra

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZL1 wrote:Just got mine. Action feels a bit poor but it feels great in the hand. Feels like a knife you can throw around.

Anybody having contact with the backspacer and tip of the knife?
The action on mine was a bit stiff so I disassembled it, cleaned it with alcohol, added some nano oil to the pivot and some grease to the detent ball. It now is as smooth as butter. The weight of the blade makes it smoother than the PM2. Even smoother than the Yojimbo 2.

Thanks Sal for giving us this great design. It is so comfortable in my hand I can’t beleive it. I think I may have a new favourite.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZL1

Post by ZL1 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
ZL1 wrote:Just got mine. Action feels a bit poor but it feels great in the hand. Feels like a knife you can throw around.

Anybody having contact with the backspacer and tip of the knife?
The action on mine was a bit stiff so I disassembled it, cleaned it with alcohol, added some nano oil to the pivot and some grease to the detent ball. It now is as smooth as butter. The weight of the blade makes it smoother than the PM2. Even smoother than the Yojimbo 2.

Thanks Sal for giving us this great design. It is so comfortable in my hand I can’t beleive it. I think I may have a new favourite.

I'll try the nano oil + grease thanks!
I agree that this knife is extremely comfortable in the hand. Definitely a winner.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I am so pleased to see Sal and crew using a stonewashed finish on this one. That alone peaks my interest in this new model. Anyone have any macro shots of the finish to share?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
foofie

Post by foofie »

nicked.onaut wrote: Image
Off topic. This just made me order the green native exclusive...
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

As a Roman-appointed Native 5 fiend, I just still can’t get past that Paramilitary 1-style hump of blade that’s exposed by the pivot when the Shaman is closed. It is causing me a lot of anxiety for some reason - why Sal couldn’t it look like an N5 when closed?!? I SO want to love this one. Liquid Cobra is trying to help me (and my goodness what a sweet pic of his!) but I’m hung up on the hump! :(

And don’t tell me it was a “necessary” part of the design...
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:As a Roman-appointed Native 5 fiend, I just still can’t get past that Paramilitary 1-style hump of blade that’s exposed by the pivot when the Shaman is closed. It is causing me a lot of anxiety for some reason - why Sal couldn’t it look like an N5 when closed?!? I SO want to love this one. Liquid Cobra is trying to help me (and my goodness what a sweet pic of his!) but I’m hung up on the hump! :(

That’s exactly why I’m holding off too man, and money issues..darn new babies :p
Josh
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:As a Roman-appointed Native 5 fiend, I just still can’t get past that Paramilitary 1-style hump of blade that’s exposed by the pivot when the Shaman is closed. It is causing me a lot of anxiety for some reason - why Sal couldn’t it look like an N5 when closed?!? I SO want to love this one. Liquid Cobra is trying to help me (and my goodness what a sweet pic of his!) but I’m hung up on the hump! :(

As a fellow Native lover, let me alleviate your concerns. I love the Native particularly the Lightweight. This knife is not a Native XL. This is as close as a Native can get to a Millie or Manix 2 XL. This is a hard use knife. Accept that this is a notch below the Tuff but a notch above a Millie. I think my beard grew thicker when I put it in my pocket. The crazy thing is between the Millie and Manix 2/XL, the Shaman kills all in ergos for me.
nicked.onaut

Post by nicked.onaut »

That is why I paired it with a PM (1) SE instead of the PM2 as requested; the Shaman's 'hump' is much closer to the end of the scale than that on the original Paramilitary. And while the CQI hump-change with the PM2 may have been a deal-maker for many, the hump on the Shaman shouldn't be a deal breaker for anyone, without a trial in hand. Smoothly melds with your grip and feels bank vault solid.

Don't let yourself perseverate, as with an Austin Powers moley moley mole.
(related film reference: Marty Feldman, "Hump...? What hump?")

kind regards,
a n.on
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Form follows function. Not right or wrong--just different :p
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

twinboysdad wrote:

As a fellow Native lover, let me alleviate your concerns. I love the Native particularly the Lightweight. This knife is not a Native XL. This is as close as a Native can get to a Millie or Manix 2 XL. This is a hard use knife. Accept that this is a notch below the Tuff but a notch above a Millie. I think my beard grew thicker when I put it in my pocket. The crazy thing is between the Millie and Manix 2/XL, the Shaman kills all in ergos for me.
I agree with twinboysdad.
I love all my Natives, especially Natives5. Unfortunately for me, Shaman is is not Native5 + 1/2". It is heavy duty with 4 mm thick blade. Most likely I will buy it eventually, but not now.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Love for the big Spyders.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I cracked, I’ve returned my Sliverax for the Shaman. I just couldn’t fall in love with the Sliverax, but I think the Shaman is going to be very different.
Josh
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Tom,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Man... kind of the last thing I'd ever be looking for right now is a heavy thick folder in S30V and black G10.

But all these photos showing the contoured depth and ergos of the design has me so much closer to purchasing just to try one out!

Think we'll ever see contoured FRN LW any time soon? :)
Going back to Caly.
sal

Post by sal »

SpeedHoles wrote: Think we'll ever see contoured FRN LW any time soon? :)
We're considering that.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

SpeedHoles wrote:Man... kind of the last thing I'd ever be looking for right now is a heavy thick folder in S30V and black G10.

But all these photos showing the contoured depth and ergos of the design has me so much closer to purchasing just to try one out!

You won’t be disappointed man. I haven’t been this excited about a knife in a long time.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

dupe post
Last edited by DougC-3 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

I would be interested in just about any contoured spydie folder in just about any handle material :p

For example, Manix 2 in 3D contoured G-10, CF, FRN or fluted Ti. I wonder if it would be possible to do a sprint run to test out the appeal of contoured handles.

By the way the large serrations on the Shaman SE look great! I think they'll be very handy on a heavy duty knife like this. I'm also looking forward to trying out the SE Caribbean.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

DougC-3 wrote:By the way the large serrations on the Shaman SE look great! I think they'll be very handy on a heavy duty knife like this. I'm also looking forward to trying out the SE Caribbean.
The serrations look like standard size to me. Am I missing something?
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

sal wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote: Think we'll ever see contoured FRN LW any time soon? :)
We're considering that.

sal
Sounds great. :)

Liquid Cobra wrote:
SpeedHoles wrote:Man... kind of the last thing I'd ever be looking for right now is a heavy thick folder in S30V and black G10.

You won’t be disappointed man. I haven’t been this excited about a knife in a long time.
You're making it difficult. ;)

I'm having a hard time keeping up these days with the rapid fire releases... so I may just hold off for a second since this is regular production.
Going back to Caly.