Bolatron or Leather Mule Sheath?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.

Bolatron or Leather Mule Sheath

Poll ended at Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:02 am

Bolatron
71%
Leather
29%

Total votes: 7

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Bolatron or Leather Mule Sheath?

Post by Doc Dan »

What do you guys with experience think? Which sheath is actually better in use? Does the Bolatron have good security for the knife? Or will the knife fall out? How is the leather sheath? How is the fit and finish?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Re: Bolatron or Leather Mule Sheath?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have the boltaron Mule sheath and retention is very good. I also carry a mule in a leather Temp2 sheath. I am not sure how much different the leather Mule sheath is than the leather Temp2 sheath though. They look very similar. For me the boltaron sheath with the G clip rides too high. I have been wanting to make a leather drop loop for the boltaron sheath for a while now. The leather sheath rides much lower. For that reason and because I just like leather I very much prefer the leather sheath. I use both a lot though.

When hiking, hunting or fishing I often use the boltaron as a neck sheath or carry it loose in a pocket or even in a fanny pack. I always wear a fanny pack turned so the pouch is on my front while hunting. It may not be cool but it sure is handy and the mule with the boltaron takes up very little space in it.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I edc a Mule in a Boltaron sheath daily, for whatever that is worth in experience, and have for several months. I have never had an issue with the security or retention of my knife in the Boltaron sheath. I carry my Mules inside the waistband in the appendix carry position with absolute security and no worries. When I am in a social situation where concealment is my choice I carry my Mule in its Boltaron sheath as a neck knife under a shirt, again with absolutely no worries as to security or retention.

As a leather craftsman I make my own leather sheaths for my Mules, but for ease of carry, in a variety of carry options, and no maintenance requirements, I opt for the Boltaron sheath. I find it to be a very practical and convenient daily carry choice for my Mules.

Perhaps I should add that the choice of sheath and carry options is as personal a choice as the knife itself. My every day attire supports my choice of sheath and carry. It often depends upon what one chooses to wear in the way of clothing. My usual choice is denium jeans, or canvas trousers when I am in camp, and western style snap front shirts that make for easy access to a neck knife, and why neck carry is a natural option for me. In the rare, (very rare), occasions when I wear dress trousers and a sport coat the G-Clip of the Boltaron sheath still holds the sheath securely in place for IWB carry, and again, during the warmer months when a coat is not an option, the neck carry under a snap front shirt works quite well.

The way one chooses to dress is all part of the knife/sheath/carry option package. They all must support each other for comfort and accessibility for every day carry. I prefer the simplicity, size and design of the Mule Team series. No moving parts, simple to clean and maintain, always ready to serve, and a convenient size for most all of my knife needs whether in camp or at home. The Boltaron sheath also supports my requirements.

I have 2 Boltaron sheaths for my edc Mule. One is set up for IWB carry by moving the G-Clip to the opposite side of the sheath and clipping it over the waistband with the handle of the knife at a rearward angle. The G-Clip holds tightly and secure. It doesn't move. The second sheath, for neck carry, has the G-Clip removed and a break away ball chain attached through the eyelets. Positioning the ball chain at an angle in the sheath carries the knife in a vertical and easily accessible manner. Experiment to find what works best for you.

Dave
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks guys! It is a tough decision. I plan on buying a new mule, get the scales, and a sheath from Spyderco. It is a decent value to buy all of them together. I wish I had not waited until the K390 mules were no longer available, but, alas, life gets in the way, sometimes.

I actually like leather, but I have seen people accidentally slice through their leather sheaths while re-inserting the knife. Plus, leather and a lot of water or wet do not get along, all the time. It is far more attractive. The bolatron is not all that attractive, but it sure is practical, if it holds the knife securely.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Dan, I believe you live in a very humid climate. It may come down to stainless vs non stainless. Leather can be less friendly to non stainless blades. What Mule are you looking at?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I am not certain as there are so many great choices. Any suggestions? I was thinking of 20CV (though A11 is tempting).

I would use it as a general duty knife. I would open coconuts, cut boxes, trim bamboo, cut rope, etc. It would get a work out when I did use it. Some of those uses will really be hard on an edge, especially if it is chippy.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

Spyderco was out of stock on the Bolatron at the time, so I usually go with AZwelke and that I did.
bearfacedkiller

I have the 20cv. It is stainless and wear resistant. Same composition as M390 and 204P. I have used the Mule just a little but I have used a 204P Military a lot.

The A11 should be a winner and if I remember you like K390. They are similar. I do not have the A11 Mule but do have some experience with 10V and K390. It is good stuff.

Bamboo and coconuts sounds like tough work. The new Mule in PD1 may be worth a look. It is the same composition as Cruwear which is a nice tough steel with decent wear resistance. I personally love Cruwear. I don't have this mule yet but I want it.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

roger-roger wrote:Spyderco was out of stock on the Bolatron at the time, so I usually go with AZwelke and that I did.
I have an AZwelke taco style Kydex sheath for a Becker BK14/24 that I won in a GAW and it is indeed nice.
-Darby
setldown

Post by setldown »

I prefer the quietness of leather in the woods while hunting.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

The Mules I carry and use are in CPM 4V, K-390, Maxamet, and PMA11. All are non-stainless steels as that is my preference. I find all of these to be excellent performance steels and I would recommend any of them without hesitation, but, as with anything else, blade steel is a personal choice. The climate in which I live and the way I care for my knives does not require corrosion resistance, and I prefer a good tool steel over "stainless" steels.

The one Mule Team knife in a steel I would very much like to experience is Crucible Steel's CPM REX-121. I think this would be an excellent choice for a working knife like the Mule, and others.

But this thread is about sheaths. The leather is attractive, traditional, and nice to have. The Boltaron is tough, practical, and holds securely in a variety of carry positions. I can remove and reinsert my Mule in its Boltaron sheath without a noise issue, same as leather. Either sheath is a good choice so it is a personal preference decision. Good looking traditional, or bomb proof modern. Why not get both?

Here's a link to Crucible's CPM REX-121 in case you've forgotten about this steel. I expect it would be a great choice for a Mule.

https://www.crucible.com/eselector/prod ... pm121.html

Dave
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I have the 20cv. It is stainless and wear resistant. Same composition as M390 and 204P. I have used the Mule just a little but I have used a 204P Military a lot.

The A11 should be a winner and if I remember you like K390. They are similar. I do not have the A11 Mule but do have some experience with 10V and K390. It is good stuff.

Bamboo and coconuts sounds like tough work. The new Mule in PD1 may be worth a look. It is the same composition as Cruwear which is a nice tough steel with decent wear resistance. I personally love Cruwear. I don't have this mule yet but I want it.
You can see my dilemma. The 20CV seems very practical and it is the same as M390 and 204P. I would think this would make a good knife for my uses and for where I live. However, as you have said, I really like K390 and A11 is similar, but not exact. If the K390 were still available when I get ready to buy I would get that, no question. I have no experience with Cruwear, at all.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050