From which company does Spyderco get their Japanese steel?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mastiff

From which company does Spyderco get their Japanese steel?

Post by mastiff »

Just like the title says. I hope it's not Kobe Steel :eek: -
https://jalopnik.com/the-u-s-government ... 2017-10-17
krikun98

Re: From which company does Spyderco get their Japanese steel?

Post by krikun98 »

HAP-40, Super Blue and ZDP-189 are produced by Yasugi Specialty Steel, a subsidiary of Hitachi. Not sure about VG-10, but it's probably made by the same people.
Last edited by krikun98 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

VG10 made by Takefu
ZDP189 made by Hitachi
Driving Honda
It looks like I am safe for now
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
vivi

Post by vivi »

Myodo Metals does H1 I believe, have not heard of Spyderco ever using a steel from Kobe.
:unicorn
sal

Post by sal »

No, not Kobe steel. Hitachi, Aichi, Myodo, Daido, Takefu.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

"No, not Kobe steel. Hitachi, Aichi, Myodo, Daido, Takefu."

These are some of the worlds best along with Carpenter/Latrobe/ Crucible, Bohler-Uddeholm, etc.

Joe
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

With all the great newer supersteels we've been blessed with from Carpenter and Crucible I've been wondering what our Japanese Brothers might have for Spyderco's Japan made models. I've been really longing for a C-60 Ayoob model with some type of Supersteel. I would even be open for a HAP-40 Ayoob but I got a feeling we could even do better than that.

Also with Brother "Xceptnl" very much wanting to see the return of the Caly jr. that would be another great model for a Japan made supersteel.

Not to mention the ROOKIE model which I just launched a new thread for. The possibilities are really intriguing and it would be really cool to see how Japan's supersteels would stack up against the great USA supersteels.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

mastiff wrote:Just like the title says. I hope it's not Kobe Steel :eek: -
https://jalopnik.com/the-u-s-government ... 2017-10-17
Who cares? Knives are way down on the list of things to worry about when you're talking about cars, trains, and planes made with bunk steel. Just another reason to shut down Japanese associated production. But spyderco won't and they'll keep pushing overpriced knives at substandard quality just to keep the gates open for Japanese steel.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Man is it really confusing having someone who doesn't know much about steel named mastiff and someone who knows a LOT about steel named The Mastiff.

It feels like April Fools every day!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Donut wrote:Man is it really confusing having someone who doesn't know much about steel named mastiff and someone who knows a LOT about steel named The Mastiff.

I went thru this myself. :eek:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

Donut wrote:Man is it really confusing having someone who doesn't know much about steel named mastiff and someone who knows a LOT about steel named The Mastiff.

I didn't say anything bad about the steel, I was just hoping that Spyderco wasn't getting it from Kobe. Kind of why I asked where does Spyderco get their steel, because I honestly wanted to know. I know enough about steel to know I don't like AUS8 when compared to VG-10. I also like S30V for edge retention over VG-10 and CTS-XHP over S30V. That's mostly based on personal experience and what I've read.

I read up on what elements come in which steel and the effects they have on the steel, a general overview on heat treating, HRC, ease of sharpening, and look for reviews from guys on here and elsewhere before I buy just about any Spydie. I'm not a metallurgist and I have far too many other interests to become one in my spare time. I'm not ashamed to say that most of my initial interest about steels came from the Spyderco Catalog. It peaked my curiosity enough that I learned as much as I needed in my opinion to make an informed decision about which knives I'd like to buy from Spyderco and which steel might best suit my needs. Do I need more info that that?
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Sal, have you looked into Daido DC-53?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Wanimator,

We did a number of years ago, even before we began making mule teams. The maker that brought some to us compared it to D2, even though the carbon was less.

The next Japanese steel we're playing with in V-Toku 2 by Tekefu. Working with Bill Burke on it. He is a very skilled blade-smith. He forges it and supplies it to blade-smiths.

We're always open to suggestions.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

mastiff wrote:

I didn't say anything bad about the steel, I was just hoping that Spyderco wasn't getting it from Kobe. Kind of why I asked where does Spyderco get their steel, because I honestly wanted to know. I know enough about steel to know I don't like AUS8 when compared to VG-10. I also like S30V for edge retention over VG-10 and CTS-XHP over S30V. That's mostly based on personal experience and what I've read.

I read up on what elements come in which steel and the effects they have on the steel, a general overview on heat treating, HRC, ease of sharpening, and look for reviews from guys on here and elsewhere before I buy just about any Spydie. I'm not a metallurgist and I have far too many other interests to become one in my spare time. I'm not ashamed to say that most of my initial interest about steels came from the Spyderco Catalog. It peaked my curiosity enough that I learned as much as I needed in my opinion to make an informed decision about which knives I'd like to buy from Spyderco and which steel might best suit my needs. Do I need more info that that?
It's like all the questions you ask publicly about steel, could be answered by the guy with an almost identical name as you. It is pretty comical.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

sal wrote:Hi Wanimator,

We did a number of years ago, even before we began making mule teams. The maker that brought some to us compared it to D2, even though the carbon was less.

The next Japanese steel we're playing with in V-Toku 2 by Tekefu. Working with Bill Burke on it. He is a very skilled blade-smith. He forges it and supplies it to blade-smiths.

We're always open to suggestions.

sal
It's supposed to be tougher with finer carbides than D2, while being able to take a higher hardness. At least that's what they advertise. I have a local vendor that has sold the steel and one application of it was tire cutting blades where it actually held an edge better than D2, I wish I could find more information on it so it wasn't so anecdotal.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Sal, you seem to always have good news. V-Toku 1 and 2 are some of the carbon/tungsten steels I've been looking at. I'm not one of Master Smith Bill Burkes high end foodies that can afford one of his knives unfortunately. These steels interest me and like Super Blue they are made to cut and slice at high sharpness. Almost a can't miss proposition. :)

Thanks for making the 52100 PM2 BTW. I ordered mine today.

Joe
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Joe,

Some of us just like 52100 :D

sal
jdw

Post by jdw »

^^^^Yes!!!^^^^^ and another thanks from me!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

sal wrote:Hi Joe,

Some of us just like 52100 :D

sal
+1, truth right there ;)

Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Sal, I was gifted with an H1 Hawkbill blade from G-Sakai. It is beautiful and well made and reminds me of your Tasman Salt, which I also have. The blade is almost 3 inches and you and others can see it here:

http://japan-blades.com/field-knives/4454.html

They call it the Shark Ray and it has a handle of FRN and is a fixed blade. I wanted to show this to you and JD Spydo and others on here.

Here are the listed/posted specs:

Sabi Knife 9 SHARK-RAY made by G-Sakai

Blade Steel
H-1 Stainless steel (HRC:56-57)

Handle Material
FRN (Black, Yellow, Orenge red)

Blade Type
Hawksbill (Hollow grind)

Overall Length(mm)
188mm (7.4")

Blade Length(mm)
75mm (2.95")

Blade Thickness
2.5mm

Weight
160g

Sheath Material
FRN (Fiberglass Reinforced Nylon)

Country of Origin
Made in Japan

Our Price(US$)
US$86.00-

What do you think of that knife? It's like a fixed blade version of the Tasman Salt.