Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wanimator

Re: Spyderco Shaman News and Gossip Thread

Post by Wanimator »

This was one of my favorite knives that I've ever handled. It'd knock me senseless in natural g-10 with m4.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sorry Sal, I just noticed that it was open almost as a front flipper in the GP Knives video above.

Any plans to do a front flipper? A lot of South African knife makers have been doing very nice things with front flippers. I would love a Spyderco front flipper.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Wanimator

Post by Wanimator »

Front flippers are an interesting concept. At their best they have no visual irregularities and have a pleasingly simple aesthetic and at their worst they look like a thigh poker.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Wrathhog wrote:
RamZar wrote:BladeHQ’s description says: “Its handle sports ergonomic, matte-finished G-10 scales over skeletonized stainless steel liners to keep the Shaman lightweight and comfortable.“ However, at 5.20 ounces I wouldn’t call the Shaman “lightweight”.
I'm interested if the weight is correct. It's pretty beefy all the way to the tip so it probably is. Hope someone who has it can confirm.
It definitely tips the scales at 5.2. Not heavy feeling thanks to a balanced distribution of weight but has more heft compared to the PM2. Comparable to the standard Manix 2 with unmilled liners.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Wanimator wrote:This was one of my favorite knives that I've ever handled. It'd knock me senseless in natural g-10 with m4.
I'm holding out for Cruwear and Grey G10. Hopefully the dark grey that the PM2 sported.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

I thought I'd be all over this one, but I'm not. I certainly feel I should buy one to compensate for all of the annoying posts I've posted about the Shaman over time! Maybe I'll feel different about it later. Seems like a nice workhorse.

I like black clips. The stone wash is nice for some, but I'm a Satin Lover. I think I'll wait for a different variation. If this thing follows the same trajectory the Para3 took, then there should be some nice variations next year.

Of course, those of us who like the longer blades are always up for some Native Chief news.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Sorry Sal, I just noticed that it was open almost as a front flipper in the GP Knives video above.

Any plans to do a front flipper? A lot of South African knife makers have been doing very nice things with front flippers. I would love a Spyderco front flipper.
Mantra3?
sal

Post by sal »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Sorry Sal, I just noticed that it was open almost as a front flipper in the GP Knives video above.

Hi Cobra,

How are you defining a "front flipper". There are a variety of methods. Paul Alexander has designed a few that we're studying.

sal
JenWrath

Post by JenWrath »

A front flipper + compression lock would be quite good. A small, high quality material front flipper would make a helluva gentleman's knife if combined with the compression lock. With how strong the detent/firing strength of models like the PM2 are, you could probably make the front "tab" smaller than people are expecting and still have great deployment.

Something like the Air was, but sleeker lines because you can make the hole just part of the trademark, it'd no longer need to be big enough to be functional. Need to open something at work? Pull out your little guy, quick one finger pull back to whip the blade, cut whatever it is and move your middle finger to close it up. Bit of style, bit of smoothness, back to work. Maybe with clear resin scales with set patterns in them, straight lines, rather than the more random splash effect of the Raffir Noble.

Sorry though, back to the Shaman. It's next on my list to buy! I love the stonewash finish on the blade and clip. And the integration of the lanyard hole with the clip makes so much sense! May be the first model I use with a clip and lanyard together. Can't wait to get one in hand when the budget allows in December ;)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:

Hi Cobra,

How are you defining a "front flipper". There are a variety of methods. Paul Alexander has designed a few that we're studying.

sal
It seems like there are almost endless possibilities on how to integrate the shape and location of a flipper device. When I think of front flippers I’m picturing the knives with a little extra material on the spine of the blade that sticks out ever so slightly on the front of the knife handle when in the closed position. This is the opposite of how a standard flipper operates with metal sticking out the rear of the handle when closed.

Front flippers are a little more difficult to open as you have to drag your thumb along the front and the. Top of the handle in order to pull the blade out into position.

I hope this makes sense, it turns out explaining how a flipper works is kind of difficult.

This video explains it much better than I can.

https://youtu.be/PaTgX8RTTns
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Bloody Fingerz

Post by Bloody Fingerz »

Well... I feel like I’ve been living under a rock. I’ve been a knife guy for 40 years and a front flipper is news to me! I might have to grab one just to play with. ;)

Just got my shipping notification from BHQ though! Shaman is in the mail!
The federal government has taken too much money from the people, too much authority from the states, and too much liberty from the Constitution.

Ronald Reagan
nicked.onaut

Shaman pics in the wild

Post by nicked.onaut »

Comparison pics with Hundred Pacer, which I'll ad to the other thread with comp pics:

Solid in the hand. Hefty.
Rounded scales ala "the melted edges like a bar of soap" of API yore (80s). Pleasing. Plenty of grip with the texture.
Mild stonewash finish to the blade. OK.

Ensuing EDC trial for a week or so.

kind regards,
nicked.onaut
vilePossum

Post by vilePossum »

thanks for sharing... looks like a great knife, not for me, but very solid knife it seems.
Firebat

Post by Firebat »

Just got mine. Like the stonewash, contoured handle and heft; don't like the off centered blade and too-stiff pivot out of the box. Will try to remedy both this evening.

(Anyone know if this uses a pivot bushing like the PM and Manix?)
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Cobra,

I've had quite a few over the past 40 years. Just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. We have a few protos we've been playing with.

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

sal wrote:Thanx Cobra,

I've had quite a few over the past 40 years. Just wanted to make sure we are on the same page. We have a few protos we've been playing with.

sal
I figured that’s why you asked. I felt particularly silly explaining that to you. Like explaining hockey to Wayne Gretzky or something.

:o

@liquid_cobra
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

And i would die for a Spyderco rendition of the Le Maire/Florinox :)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sushimoto

Post by Sushimoto »

Well, I have to say that I am very pleased with my most recent Spyderco purchase. The mailman just delivered my Shaman. I've been trying to post some pictures to no avail, I'm not very savvy with posting pics. So, I just wanted to express my satisfaction with the Spyderco forum group. What a great knife. Great egos, handle to blade ratio, contoured handles, good thick blade stock, compression lock, jimping, stonewash blade, and just the right amount of heft. I believe this will be a successful seller for sure. It appears it will be a pleasure to EDC. Enjoy guy's. Thanks Sal, and Spyderco crew. :)
Last edited by Sushimoto on Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

That contoured G10 is challenging my will power
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

abbazaba wrote:That contoured G10 is challenging my will power
Likewise!!

Has anyone compared it against the Superleaf yet?