Favorite fixed blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
captnvegtble

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Post by captnvegtble »

Bushcraft in Burl Maple handles with O1 steel
vivi

Re: Favorite fixe blade

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
mb1 wrote: @Evil D mentioned bolt on scales. I get the Esee comparison, but in general, why are these used? Is it just customization potential? Maintenance concerns with carbon steel blades? I always prefer pinned handles.
Cleaning is one advantage but also because you can take them off and make the knife ultra thin and a little lighter if you carry it as a neck knife. I do think pinned is far more handsome. Screwed scales also allow you to change them out with custom scales.
There are numerous Perrin bowie knives on the market with no scales FYI, might want to look into those. Different sizes are available.
:unicorn
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

My reground Southfork is probably my favorite followed by the Sprig. (Toss-up) Prior to these models, the Aqua Salt was the fave. The Temp 2 is also very nice and a serious chunk'o VG-10. I remember being somewhat surprised at this the first time I held it. If I didn't already have one, I'd be jumping on it at the discontinued prices.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tdog wrote:My reground Southfork is probably my favorite followed by the Sprig. (Toss-up) Prior to these models, the Aqua Salt was the fave. The Temp 2 is also very nice and a serious chunk'o VG-10. I remember being somewhat surprised at this the first time I held it. If I didn't already have one, I'd be jumping on it at the discontinued prices.
Great minds think alike Greg. ;)

I love my Sprig! I'm eagerly awaiting my Southfork and a Temp 2 is beckoning. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....

That being said, I did get a Southfork from KC at the closeout price. This is a piece that I've long been interested in, but couldn't ever justify the price. Love the trailing point design and S90V. Figured that now is the time.

And now, thanks to this thread, both the Street Beat (Evil D) and the Temperance 2 (JD Spydo) come highly recommended and I am considering one or the other (not both though).

Temp 2 looks like a large Mule, which is a great thing in my book. But I've already got several blades in this length as camping FBs, and so I think this is more redundant to my current FBs.

The Street Beat is one I wasn't previously interested in, but as I started to look into it, it seeks like it could be useful. Reasonably lightweight, and smallish alternative to my typical folders. Love the excellent F&F, and especially the very nicely done micarta scales.

Both in VG10, which while not cutting edge (pun!), is a good steel for a FB.

So... Choices.

Oh, and my current favorite Spydie is definitely the Mules. Mine in 4V is my most used Fixed Blade and my fav! But make the Aqua Salt in a PE with better edge retention and I think it will vault into the lead.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....
The thing with the Street Beat is how much value you're getting at this price. VG10 may not be the latest and greatest but it still isn't a cheap (inexpensive) steel, and you're getting a pretty significant slab of it with very nicely done scales. Not to trash talk ESEE but this knife is on another level compared to an Izula II or just about any equally sized knife with equal materials. There are lots of knives in this size that are cheaper but you're getting cheaper materials and less "niceness" unless you're looking at customs but then you're also probably spending even more money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
Capt'n Boatsalot wrote:This is the worst thread for my wallet... And I don't even kind of "need" fixed blades....
The thing with the Street Beat is how much value you're getting at this price. VG10 may not be the latest and greatest but it still isn't a cheap (inexpensive) steel, and you're getting a pretty significant slab of it with very nicely done scales. Not to trash talk ESEE but this knife is on another level compared to an Izula II or just about any equally sized knife with equal materials. There are lots of knives in this size that are cheaper but you're getting cheaper materials and less "niceness" unless you're looking at customs but then you're also probably spending even more money.
I get my street beat today but I'm impatient. So i have to ask. How's the retention on the sheath?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:
Evil D wrote:
I get my street beat today but I'm impatient. So i have to ask. How's the retention on the sheath?

When new it's almost too strong. I've read that it can loosen up to the point that it rattles a bit. I guess the issue is that the edge of the choil scrapes the sheath coming out (which it does) and eventually scrapes out enough material to loosen the fit. Personally I'm planning on replacing the sheath, it's not really my thing. Plus I wanted to smooth out those edges on the choil anyway which would probably have the same effect of loosening the fit. I suppose it can be tightened back up just like kydex?
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
VashHash wrote:
Evil D wrote:

When new it's almost too strong. I've read that it can loosen up to the point that it rattles a bit. I guess the issue is that the edge of the choil scrapes the sheath coming out (which it does) and eventually scrapes out enough material to loosen the fit. Personally I'm planning on replacing the sheath, it's not really my thing. Plus I wanted to smooth out those edges on the choil anyway which would probably have the same effect of loosening the fit. I suppose it can be tightened back up just like kydex?
Is it the old style sheath or the newer one like the lightweight? I know the old style sheath looked like each one was custom made for the knife. The light weight sheaths are like the Salt series knives. I'm probably going to go with a taco kydex sheath myself for a smaller footprint. The factory sheath wouldn't be bad for owb but the taco would work better for IWB.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote: Is it the old style sheath or the newer one like the lightweight? I know the old style sheath looked like each one was custom made for the knife. The light weight sheaths are like the Salt series knives. I'm probably going to go with a taco kydex sheath myself for a smaller footprint. The factory sheath wouldn't be bad for owb but the taco would work better for IWB.

I'm not really familiar with the different sheaths as this is my first Spyderco fixed blade. It's a double layer and very thick/rigid. I'm looking to have a nice IWB leather sheath made.
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil D wrote:
VashHash wrote: Is it the old style sheath or the newer one like the lightweight? I know the old style sheath looked like each one was custom made for the knife. The light weight sheaths are like the Salt series knives. I'm probably going to go with a taco kydex sheath myself for a smaller footprint. The factory sheath wouldn't be bad for owb but the taco would work better for IWB.

I'm not really familiar with the different sheaths as this is my first Spyderco fixed blade. It's a double layer and very thick/rigid. I'm looking to have a nice IWB leather sheath made.
Sounds like the old style sheath. Thanks for the info. Mine just arrived at the local PO just waiting on delivery.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Really wanting a Street Beat, but the pricing on the Temperance 2 is almost irresistible
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Moran Drop Point, although I do wish they'd make a full tang version. A leather sheath like the original ones came with would also be great.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The Deacon wrote:Moran Drop Point, although I do wish they'd make a full tang version. A leather sheath like the original ones came with would also be great.
I really like the sheath on the original Morans. I also like the mirror polish too. I was lucky enough to find one as new old stock at a B&M. I like kydex for certain things but leather really makes a knife look less "threatening".