When your first RIT dye job goes bad....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Re: When your first RIT dye job goes bad....

Post by ChrisinHove »

Looks good to me - almost like a micarta.

Claim it as intentional.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love the color.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Looks great man, what's the beef! Keep it and adjust your expectations! I guess the lesson is that this RIT dying business is somewhat unpredictable and unless you have experience with a particular batch of G10, you are gonna have to just cross your fingers and run with it.

I did the RIT dye thing on a digital camo PM2 just like the one above, and it came out ... just like the one above (my knife's brother has been found!). I am not sure I would go through all of that again though. I completely disassembled the knife, which was darn tricky since Spyderco had swaged the lanyard tube into the G10. It was manageable with care, but I would just boil the whole knife if I had it to do again. I suppose dying a knife is something everyone should do at least once.
animportant

Post by animportant »

Looks great. Should we request a denim blue Seki run soon?!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

animportant wrote:Looks great. Should we request a denim blue Seki run soon?!
Absolutely not! I want my accidental denim blue Dragonfly to be unique! :D
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It really does look great. That is almost exactly what I want to do someday with my yellow FRN. Of course it is probably not going to work when starting with yellow.
Leadsled

Post by Leadsled »

FYI, RIT makes s Synthetic dye. Wonder if it would work better on FRN scales?
If I were to dye my yellow Dragonfly Salt with blue RIT, would it turn blue or would it turn green? Is it like mixing paint or does the dye cover the original color?
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The trials and tribulations of dying scales....

This time I used Rit Dye More for synthetic materials. These scales were in the solution for no more than 2 minutes. They're a little darker than I planned haha.

Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Sharp Guy wrote:The trials and tribulations of dying scales....

This time I used Rit Dye More for synthetic materials. These scales were in the solution for no more than 2 minutes. They're a little darker than I planned haha.

Hey, that looks pretty darned good!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Slumblor wrote:Hey, that looks pretty darned good!
Thanks. It looks much better in the daylight than it does indoors. Inside it looks almost black. It's definitely more practical for me than the original scales. Now I can use it at work and not worry about it looking filthy.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

Wow, 2 minutes did that? I'll have to try the synthetic materials Rit next time. I like instant gratification. Looks great!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
anycal

Post by anycal »

Nice shade of gray.
Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydersense wrote:Wow, 2 minutes did that? I'll have to try the synthetic materials Rit next time. I like instant gratification. Looks great!
The bottle says Frost Grey. My goal was to get them as close to the grey on the PM2 Cruwear as possible. I figured I'd have to leave 'em in for at least 15 min to achieve that. I thought I was being over anxious when I decided to take a look after only 2 min. Surprise!!! They're almost black! :eek: Dang! I already have a black P3. They did lighten up a little after I rinsed and dried them but still way darker than I wanted. Like it or not they're charcoal grey now.
attila

Post by attila »

For those who are interested, I dyed my CPM Cruwear Para 3 today. It took roughly 15 minutes to achieve this hue using the Racing Red RITMore dye. I only used about 1 oz of the 7 oz bottle with just enough water to cover my scales, and the remainder of what I used would be sufficient for dying at least one more item. My first lesson was that a little goes a long way.

Another interesting thing is that the rough surfaces took the dye much better than the smooth surfaces. It came out well, tho, since the smooth surfaces are hidden.

The last thing I noticed was that at first when I didn't boil the solution the dye only penetrated very lightly. Once I simmered the concoction and flipped the item regularly, the dye really took.

I hope this helps someone's decisions as previous discussions helped mine.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That looks fantastic. It makes me wish most of my scales weren't black, so I could try some of these colors. I need more yellow Salts.
attila

Post by attila »

Thanks Frank. I intentionally avoid black knives these days, so I now have 11 Spydercos, and only two of them are black. It's convenient that sprints and exclusives are colorful, since I'm not interested in regular production models usually.

I kinda wish more regular production knives had lighter colored G10 more often. That would open up coloring options on non-limited edition knives.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

mad german

Post by mad german »

attila wrote:For those who are interested, I dyed my CPM Cruwear Para 3 today. It took roughly 15 minutes to achieve this hue using the Racing Red RITMore dye. I only used about 1 oz of the 7 oz bottle with just enough water to cover my scales, and the remainder of what I used would be sufficient for dying at least one more item. My first lesson was that a little goes a long way.

Another interesting thing is that the rough surfaces took the dye much better than the smooth surfaces. It came out well, tho, since the smooth surfaces are hidden.

The last thing I noticed was that at first when I didn't boil the solution the dye only penetrated very lightly. Once I simmered the concoction and flipped the item regularly, the dye really took.

That looks great. How close is the final outcome to the color on the bottle of dye? What was your mixture of water/vinegar/dye? Did the scales rest on the bottom of the pot, or were they suspended?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
My collection is ever changing!
cELLiBAIt

Post by cELLiBAIt »

So, for someone who is new to DIY dye possibilities, I just soak it in fabric dye?

If so, I'm getting that DF2 Salt I wanted in yellow and giving it a red coat next pay check!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I haven't done it yet, but it looks just that easy. There are some how to videos on youtube.
attila

Post by attila »

mad german wrote:
attila wrote:For those who are interested, I dyed my CPM Cruwear Para 3 today. It took roughly 15 minutes to achieve this hue using the Racing Red RIT DyeMore dye. I only used about 1 oz of the 7 oz bottle with just enough water to cover my scales, and the remainder of what I used would be sufficient for dying at least one more item. My first lesson was that a little goes a long way.

That looks great. How close is the final outcome to the color on the bottle of dye? What was your mixture of water/vinegar/dye? Did the scales rest on the bottom of the pot, or were they suspended?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
With regard to the color vs the bottle, here are two pictures to show the difference in artificial light since the sun is hiding at the moment:

Using the synthetic-fabric dye, I aimed to use only about an 1/7th of the bottle (~1 oz) and only added enough Brita filtered water to cover the part while simmering (<2 cups total liquid).

When I dyed the scales, I didn't disassemble the G10 from the stainless liners or lanyard tube because of the flaring of the tube. Coupled with the small liquid volume I chose to use, I simply flipped the scales every 30-60 seconds while simmering to keep the dying even.

I could easily have suspended them if I had used the whole bottle of dye, but then I'd have wasted the vast majority of the dye on one knife. I figured there was a more frugal approach, and it seems to have worked out alright.

I hope this is clear enough to help your project!