Favorite fixed blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderwolf

Favorite fixed blade

Post by spyderwolf »

Spyderco is the leader when it cames to folders,but they also do great fixed blades.Whats your favorite?
Last edited by spyderwolf on Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
Xplorer

Re: Favorite fixe blade

Post by Xplorer »

Temperance 2 is my overall favorite Spyderco fixed blade. Sprig is a close second.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Xplorer wrote:Temperance 2 is my overall favorite Spyderco fixed blade. Sprig is a close second.
I like the TEMP 2 myself but still my ultimate favorite Spyderco fixed blade is their older TEMPERANCE 1 model. To me they got it perfect the first time around. Also it was available in plain edge and in Spyderedge both and I have and use both of them on a regular basis.

Oh how much I would love to see a Sprint Run of the older TEMP 1 model in possibly H-1, LC200N or one of the newer supersteels.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Junction by far
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I don't really own enough fixed blades to have a reasonable opinion on this, but after just getting a Street Beat I can tell you that I'm about to blow this forum up with pics and videos about it. It's down right ridiculous that this knife didn't get more attention and steel options. To me this is the perfect Spyderco answer to the ESEE Izula II, it just needs more steel options and maybe a screw together handle scale instead of the pinned on style. It is most likely the best small fixed blade Spyderco have ever made IMO, it's as much as it can be while also being as small as it can be, if that makes sense.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:I don't really own enough fixed blades to have a reasonable opinion on this, but after just getting a Street Beat I can tell you that I'm about to blow this forum up with pics and videos about it. It's down right ridiculous that this knife didn't get more attention and steel options. To me this is the perfect Spyderco answer to the ESEE Izula II, it just needs more steel options and maybe a screw together handle scale instead of the pinned on style. It is most likely the best small fixed blade Spyderco have ever made IMO, it's as much as it can be while also being as small as it can be, if that makes sense.
Interesting you bring up the STREETBEAT as being a favorite because my late best friend who has been deceased for a couple of years now always had the Streetbeat as his main EDC. Oh he had a few folders ( he got them all from me of course :rolleyes: :D ) but he really loved the STREETBEAT model and he could deploy it so fast that when he did he got it out so fast that I had no idea where he had it stored on his body. He always wanted a Spyderedged version of it and that's one thing that really gripes me and to a degree even confuses me as to why they don't have more Spyderedged fixed blades than they do>> especially on their more popular models.

I still have one left in my arsenal but I mostly use my two TEMP 1 models ( SE & PE). But I would consider EDCing a STreetBeat if I could get one in SE. Also the STreeTBeat has been around so long it would be cool if they offered it in other blade steels.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Interesting you bring up the STREETBEAT as being a favorite because my late best friend who has been deceased for a couple of years now always had the Streetbeat as his main EDC. Oh he had a few folders ( he got them all from me of course :rolleyes: :D ) but he really loved the STREETBEAT model and he could deploy it so fast that when he did he got it out so fast that I had no idea where he had it stored on his body. He always wanted a Spyderedged version of it and that's one thing that really gripes me and to a degree even confuses me as to why they don't have more Spyderedged fixed blades than they do>> especially on their more popular models.

I still have one left in my arsenal but I mostly use my two TEMP 1 models ( SE & PE). But I would consider EDCing a STreetBeat if I could get one in SE. Also the STreeTBeat has been around so long it would be cool if they offered it in other blade steels.

We've talked about a "Spyderco custom shop" option here many times, but if there's one thing I wish Spyderco could/would do, it's custom grinding serrations on ANY knife you send them. I know there's always Wiley Knives, and for what they do they do a great job, but they don't regrind the blade to a proper chisel edge before cutting serrations so they aren't exactly like Spyderco do them. It would go a long way to solving the demand for SE blades and it would open the door to having SE on a lot of models that might never get produced with them.

My only problem so far with the Steet Beat is figuring out how I'm going to carry it. The sheath they provide really is amazing quality, it's very well made and the G clip is great, but for fixed blades I just really prefer a leather sheath. I've got some ideas though, I just don't know if I have the skill to make it the right way myself or if I need to find someone who does this sort of thing.
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

The Mule team pattern amd the Swick are my favorite fixed blades..... amd obviously the kitchen knives!
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I just have an Aqua Salt and I like it.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Mule Team hands down. All the knife I want, all the knife I need, plus superior steel choices. I have one with me every day.

Dave
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a big fan of the Mule Team knives. Probably my favorite fixed blade Spydies. I just got a Temp2 and my impressions of it are very good too. It is like a bigger Mule.

I also like the Swick4, the Southfork and the Sprig.

I agree David, the Street Beat is great. People should be swooping them up on clearance.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

my favorite and most carried

mb1

Post by mb1 »

Oh boy. I was pondering the Street Beat. Wish it was something other than VG10 (says the S90V whiner). I can tell the handle is a winner just by looking at it.

^^ I like that sheath on yours Darby. :spyder:

@Evil D mentioned bolt on scales. I get the Esee comparison, but in general, why are these used? Is it just customization potential? Maintenance concerns with carbon steel blades? I always prefer pinned handles.

As to the OP...Southfork is my fav owned. Wish I had a Sprig. Of all I'll probably never own, that Lum Darn Dao looked pretty freaking awesome.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote: @Evil D mentioned bolt on scales. I get the Esee comparison, but in general, why are these used? Is it just customization potential? Maintenance concerns with carbon steel blades? I always prefer pinned handles.
Cleaning is one advantage but also because you can take them off and make the knife ultra thin and a little lighter if you carry it as a neck knife. I do think pinned is far more handsome. Screwed scales also allow you to change them out with custom scales.
~David
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:
mb1 wrote: @Evil D mentioned bolt on scales. I get the Esee comparison, but in general, why are these used? Is it just customization potential? Maintenance concerns with carbon steel blades? I always prefer pinned handles.
Cleaning is one advantage but also because you can take them off and make the knife ultra thin and a little lighter if you carry it as a neck knife. I do think pinned is far more handsome. Screwed scales also allow you to change them out with custom scales.
Ok make your review thread. Bring it.

4mm blade stock?? :rolleyes: How's the edge geometry?

I am resisting but BHQ is making it harder now undercutting KC.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
vivi

Post by vivi »

Aqua Salt. Light, rust proof, ergonomic, tough as nails and small enough it's easy to carry.

Ronin 2 has been impressing me the past week though, and I'm a big fan of Swick 3's.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

xceptnl wrote:The Mule team pattern amd the Swick are my favorite fixed blades..... amd obviously the kitchen knives!
They truly need to start making Sprint Runs of that SWICK model in the supersteels. A Swick in S90V, M390, XHP or even the newer 204P would truly make for a great fixed blade taken to a higher level.

For all intent and purposes the Mule Team is almost like a shorter version of the TEMPERANCE 1 model. I won't rest until we get a TEMP 1 in either one of the nitrogen based steels in SE & PE>> or a TEMP 1 in one of the supersteels would be most interesting in SE & PE.
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Evil D wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

We've talked about a "Spyderco custom shop" option here many times, but if there's one thing I wish Spyderco could/would do, it's custom grinding serrations on ANY knife you send them. I know there's always Wiley Knives, and for what they do they do a great job, but they don't regrind the blade to a proper chisel edge before cutting serrations so they aren't exactly like Spyderco do them. It would go a long way to solving the demand for SE blades and it would open the door to having SE on a lot of models that might never get produced with them.

My only problem so far with the Steet Beat is figuring out how I'm going to carry it. The sheath they provide really is amazing quality, it's very well made and the G clip is great, but for fixed blades I just really prefer a leather sheath. I've got some ideas though, I just don't know if I have the skill to make it the right way myself or if I need to find someone who does this sort of thing.
Try the Perrin way:foget about the clip,just tuck the knife IWB,on a tension cord.Janich recomends the apendix carry,too.
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
cabfrank

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Post by cabfrank »

Jumpmaster 2? It seems like a pretty good one knife solution, if you were in that situation.
JD Spydo

Re: Favorite fixed blade

Post by JD Spydo »

cabfrank wrote:Jumpmaster 2? It seems like a pretty good one knife solution, if you were in that situation.
Well Spyderco's best current Spyderedged fixed blade model seems to be the JUMPMASTER models. I do like the handles on them but not as good as I did the FRN handles on the original TEMP 1 fixed blade model.

But at least it's a step in the right direction. It's funny that you hear so little about the Warrior model anymore>> because in it's heyday it was highly admired by many.

As much as I like the STREETBEAT with the Micarta handle I was thinking how cool it would be to have a SWICK with a Micarta handle as well. I know that a few people complain about Micarta having extra weight but as strong and rigid as it is I don't mind the trade off myself. Interesting thread.