Just bought my first Chaparral

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Just bought my first Chaparral

Post by elena86 »

Just a plain CF one. I don't understand what kept me away from this awesome spydie for so many years.Where are my enablers when I need one ? ;) Nice ergos it has.The 2mm papery thin stock and thin behind the edge blade is awesome, plus it's in CTS-XHP one of my favorite stainless steels, second only to SRS15.Another great news : no more blade play in this back-lock.This little spydie is ranked as a gentleman folder but I bet is more capable than we imagine You did it again Sal :cool: :spyder: It's time for a Raffir Noble one.I have a new problem now: every morning I have to flip a coin to chose between the Chapie and my beloved K390 Urban for city carry.It's a tough one :eek:

P.S I understand, Sal told us so, that the guys from Seky can't implement the new improved back-lock because the tolerances are so tight.Why not the internal stop pin they used in the Chapie for the Delica family instead ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
PanChango

Re: Just bought my first Chaparral

Post by PanChango »

I have had a Chaparral for a while, but only recently began carrying it regularly. I am not sure why I ignored it for so long, it is a fantastic little knife.
carrot

Post by carrot »

I'm in the same boat. Since getting the Chaparral it's all I've wanted to carry. It's always an internal battle; rotate between great Spydies that deserve pocket time... and the Chaparral. Maybe it's a sign that I need another.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I was an early adopter and regret it still.

Mine came in S30V, not XHP. Nothing wrong with S30V (I have chosen a bunch of it) but I have found XHP to be marginally better in my use, and that was one reason I bought it.

The steel substitution that Spyderco made has niggled at me since the knife arrived many moons ago, such that I have not really been able to enjoy it. I feel shorted. Call me petty.

Then, the next few versions appeared with beautiful titanium scales at ridiculously high prices. People here were taken aback, then Michael Janich came forward with some BS about a target audience, apparently not in the forum, to justify the dramatic price jump. The intervention soured my experience even more.

/unintended rant off

The Chaparral is a superb design and, IMHO, Spyderco's best small knife for people with larger than average hands.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

My Titanium Chaparrals are my most treasured knives and I carry one with me every day because it is such a joy to use. I love the weight, heft, and feel in hand of the Titanium models, and the unique and intricate beauty of the Stepped designs. Just a great little knife all around.
Too nice not to carry and enjoy. Too efficient a blade not to use. My favorite :spyder: of all. :)

Dave
knifeneasy

Post by knifeneasy »

My favourite of the smaller knives. I've got the S30V and carried it for the majority of one summer - cutting poly pipe, garden stakes, fencing wire and burrs off horses. Perfect for a pair of shorts. Mostly I've been carrying my Military these days but the Chaparral still gets in there on the weekends. Plus I'm a sucker for that solid backspacer.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:I have a new problem now: every morning I have to flip a coin to chose between the Chapie and my beloved K390 Urban for city carry.It's a tough one :eek:
I do the same thing. I really like both knives and switch them out regularly.

What is SRS15?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Doc Dan wrote:
What is SRS15?
I believe you'd find this thread useful.
//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=73721
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Still waiting for the FRN Chaparral which will be my first one.
Imagine someday edc-ing a Police 4 (possibly also with FRN scales) with a Chaparral in FRN, should make for a great combo without taking up much weight or space. :)
(might add my Hawkfly for some serrations)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:
elena86 wrote:I have a new problem now: every morning I have to flip a coin to chose between the Chapie and my beloved K390 Urban for city carry.It's a tough one :eek:

What is SRS15?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... ilit=srs15
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
krefcenz

Post by krefcenz »

I have two Chaparrals, one carbon fiber, one titanium. Both my favorite edc. Thin like a mini scalpel. Only one complaint, and it's the same one. The wire clips that Spyderco uses have a tendency to loosen and fall off. And Spyderco contends it's operator error not covered by warranty. I don't want pay $5 or $10 for a piece of wire. So have just been cannabilizing from other Spyderco's that I own and retightening with the Torx wrench every few days to make it secure. The QA on all other parts of Spyderco's are spot on. But their wire clip QA still continues to be the Achilles heal of an otherwise fine company. It's been an issue with my Dragonfly, both of my Chaparrals. Just got a Q-ball but keep the torx wrench handy. When the wire clip starts to loosen, I just gently tighten it.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Never had an issue with any of my wire clips.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Doc Dan wrote:

What is SRS15?
//forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... ilit=srs15
Duh! I had forgotten about that thread.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Krefcenz,

Welcome to our forum.

Sorry you are having a problem with the Chappy clips. Perhaps you might try some lock tight? We've not had complaints on this.

sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

krefcenz wrote:I have two Chaparrals, one carbon fiber, one titanium. Both my favorite edc. Thin like a mini scalpel. Only one complaint, and it's the same one. The wire clips that Spyderco uses have a tendency to loosen and fall off. And Spyderco contends it's operator error not covered by warranty. I don't want pay $5 or $10 for a piece of wire. So have just been cannabilizing from other Spyderco's that I own and retightening with the Torx wrench every few days to make it secure. The QA on all other parts of Spyderco's are spot on. But their wire clip QA still continues to be the Achilles heal of an otherwise fine company. It's been an issue with my Dragonfly, both of my Chaparrals. Just got a Q-ball but keep the torx wrench handy. When the wire clip starts to loosen, I just gently tighten it.
Try using a little blue loctite on screw threads. Problem solved!

EDIT: Sal beat me to it!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Love the Chaparral (great knife) but it doesn't get it's deserved carry time. Usually carry something with a longer blade. My wife's Rafi is one of her favorite knives and has displaced the purple Dragonfly in her purse.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve carried my Chaparral all week with me at the hospital. It’s a great knife!
Josh
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

murphjd25 wrote:I’ve carried my Chaparral all week with me at the hospital. It’s a great knife!
That's only because you haven't left the hospital and the Chap happened to be what was in your pocket when you went in for baby Murph. :D

Big fan of the Chaparral here too btw. Need to get mine in the pocket more.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

You joined this forum in 2010 and just bought your first Chap???

All I can say is, what took soooo long. :) ;) The Chaparral has got to be one of the best.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

murphjd25 wrote:I’ve carried my Chaparral all week with me at the hospital. It’s a great knife!
Congrats on the new baby Josh, and I'm sure one of our local brethren would have brought you a knife change at the hospital if asked, I mean a week is a long time to go with only one knife, the thought makes me shudder... :D
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."