Clip Preference

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Clip Preference

I prefer the wire clip
64%
I don't care either way
16%
I prefer the hourglass clip
19%

Total votes: 67

Eli Chaps

Clip Preference

Post by Eli Chaps »

I've developed a real affinity for the wire clip. For a long time I thought and then told myself it didn't matter which clip but for me, that's just not true. It does matter. The end of the hourglass clip on my beloved Delicas creates a hot spot on the first knuckle of my hand and then when I scratched my car with it in a way a wire clipped never would have done, that was the last straw.

A lot of folks don't like the way the coating wears. Others find them too conspicuous. Those things never bothered me but it does others.

I's a little hard to understand the clip choices as you see both kinds on light and heavy knives. I do know that it seems every M2LW G10 model has the hourglass clip and as I said, these days that's a deal breaker for me.

Anyway, Uncle Sal and The Spydercoians are so great about listening to their customers I thought I'd toss up a poll and see what other folks think.

What say you all?
abbazaba

Re: Clip Preference

Post by abbazaba »

I like both for different reasons, but the one thing I REALLY like about the wireclip is that there are two factory options, deep carry (Sage style) and regular (Manix2 LW style). Heck, more than two if you count length. I really wish the hourglass had a factory deep carry option for people to swap out as desired. I like some aftermarket deep carry clips well enough, but it adds $20-30 per knife and rarely looks as good as the factory option with my favorite bug on it.

Creating and adopting a universal platform would be my preference. For example, the mount for the wireclip could easily hold an hourglass style clip with a single bolt and tabs on the back that sit in the wire recesses.

I voted wireclip by the way.
setldown

Post by setldown »

I liked the wire clips. Less unsightly holes on the scales.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I prefer the hour-glass clip, because I prefer bigger knives, on which wire clips seem out of all proportion. I will say that the hour-glass clip on my Tatanka does look ridiculous...

ETA: Farnorthdan (below) reminds me to say I also prefer bare-metal clips. My recently-arrived Police4 and 52100 PM2 are each painted and are already showing wear...
Last edited by wrdwrght on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I voted either. I definitely see advantages and disadvantages to both. My honest preference would be that both the wire and hourglass clip were made shorter. For example if the shorter clip on my Navigator, I would really like to try it out on some of my larger knives. In the same line of thinking, I like the shorter clip that comes on the Dragonfly versus the regular length of the Caly
Last edited by xceptnl on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

If kept stock I prefer the hourglass but not the painted, they chip too easily, I must admit though,, been replacing most of my regulars with deep carry.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I prefer no clip at all, and no provision for mounting one. Omitting those makes for a much cleaner looking handle.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

abbazaba wrote:I really wish the hourglass had a factory deep carry option for people to swap out as desired.
I agree with this. I think both types have their place, and I with there was a deep carry option for both. I guess I'd give the wire clip a slight edge, but I voted for down the middle. I prefer to keep stock clips on my knives.
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

Less potential for car scratches, less of a hot spot creator, and deeper carry, all lead me to prefer the wire clip ... by a very large margin!
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Hated the wire clips for a while. The more I carried wire clips, they began to grow on me. I actually prefer them now on the smaller, lightweight knives. Still like the hourglass clip on my larger knives.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The Deacon wrote:I prefer no clip at all, and no provision for mounting one. Omitting those makes for a much cleaner looking handle.
It does make for a nice aesthetic. There are a few models I wouldn't mind like that with some premium handles.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Hourglass all the way, but the wire does suit the little'uns.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I certainly don't mind the hourglass clips and I like flying the bug but I much prefer the subtle look of the wire clips.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I prefer hourglass to wire clips, but my favorite clips are the barrel clips from the Pacific Salt / Delica 3. One screw instead of three, you can swap carry sides with any two coins, and they never come loose for me. Hourglass and wire clips with their small torx screws sometimes do.

Wire clips have the best ergonomics while using the knife, but hourglass / barrel clips have always felt stronger and more secure for me.

I'm more inclined to buy a small, light knife like a UKPK with a wire clip than I am a big, heavy folder like a Manix XL. I almost exclusively carry bigger knives though.

Neither type of clip is a deal breaker for me, I have used all of them, but if I could have my choice I would put Endura 3 style barrel clips on everything.

Though one more point in favor of hourglass clips is they offer four way mounting. I rarely ever utilize tip up, but it's good for the general market to offer options.

Can't say I've ever scratched a car with any clip. I find it pretty easy not to rub up against them.

Couldn't care less about deep carry, and in fact I prefer a bit sticking out above the clip. Especially when carrying IWB.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Wire clip. It’s just awesome.
Josh
roger-roger

Post by roger-roger »

The lack of a wire clip on certain models, is definitely keeping them on my wishlist, and not in my hands.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I just love the ease of dismantling and swapping the Salt clips, a common flathead will do. They're sturdy enough and have never come loose on me on any of my 9 Salts.
It has the best mounting system, excellent retention and comfort for me, these are the best in my view.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Can't really vote because it depends on the knife. I like wire clips on light knives and hourglass clips on heavy knives. There are even some in the middle like the Sliverax that I wouldn't care either way and think both work well. If anything I might prefer knives with wire clips slightly more because they only come in tip up orientation which reduces the amount of holes drilled all over the knife and makes the pivot area much more pleasing to look at.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
OkanSeven

Post by OkanSeven »

Wire clip 100%

If they did a PM2 with wire clip, id literally go insane from excitement
:spyder: CO1 Worker 2014 Sprint(x2)-Southard-Myrtle-PM2 S110v-Sage 5-Sliverax-Lum Tanto FB Sprint-Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189-Delica 4 G-10-Manix 2 FW-Endura 4-Tasman-Roadie-Delica 2 Stainless-Tenacious Turtle-Bug :spyder:

Dreaming for a Pacific Salt 2 FFG LC200n and a
Manix 2 XL back lock
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I didn't vote.
For me all depends on the model. Low riding wire clip is better for some, for others I prefer solid clip. And there are knives, I wish were made without clip at all.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian