Time for a next-gen Centofante?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
olywa

Time for a next-gen Centofante?

Post by olywa »

I love my Centofante 3 and carry it frequently during the work week. In fact, I'm on my third one because I keep gifting them to very appreciative beneficiaries. Slim, light, super ergos, what's not to like? But I've been pondering changes I'd like to see in a next-gen model and was wondering if others are too. So here's my thoughts in two parts. First, along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", are the qualities and features I'd like to keep. Second would be the changes I'd like to see.

Keep:
- palladium bug (this is a must!)
- overall ergos and thickness
- blade shape and thickness
- backlock

Change:
- solid carbon fiber handles (no liners if possible?)
- deep carry, tip up wire clip (black please?)
- adjustable pivot (maybe even all-screw construction?)
- upgraded blade steel (CTS XHP / S30V / S35V, keep it stainless please)

There's my druthers folks. Who's in?
abbazaba

Re: Time for a next-gen Centofante?

Post by abbazaba »

I like it. CF, wireclip, XHP... Hard to imagine it not being a popular release. Be aware that many are gonna want the warnie from the 4 too.
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

CF, wireclip, xhp, CHOIL
Justin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When Mr. Glesser told me a few months back that all of the tooling for the C-50 Centofante had been eliminated and a Sprint Run of that great model was impossible my gut wrenched immediately upon hearing that.

I believe the problem with the C-50 was the same with many of the great old school Spyderco models. It was just too far ahead of it's time.

I think you can also put the C-60 Ayoob in that same category because it just blows my mind how many of the new people I talk to that are very intrigued with that model as well. You can also put the JD Smith, the Viele, The Dodo, the C-54 Calypso were all ahead of their time as well.

The C-50 was my favorite out of all those older Centofante models and I know others feel the same.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

crazywednesday wrote:CF, wireclip, xhp, CHOIL
I like the idea of an updated Vesuvius (same blade and handle pattern, but with a compression lock) with CF scales, but adding a choil would make it a different knife... It might wind up being a great knife, but it would essentially be a new model.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
olywa

Post by olywa »

I agree, a choil would make it a whole other animal.

In a perfect world, I'm thinking of a new standard production model. A guy can always dream, right?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Same knife as now but green frn, ZDP and gold bug.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Same knife as now but green frn, ZDP and gold bug.
Dark green I hope?
This sounds good. But because this was mentioned earlier, I want choil as well. Still I will get 2 mm thick ZDP189 bladed Dark green centofante3 even without choil.
centofante3 is certainly way past due for sprint.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

This sounds more obtainable and AWESOME. +1
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

This color and steel combo would be great.
bgoode315

Post by bgoode315 »

I love the centofante 3, and wouldn't want to see much changed, but I've always daydreamed about it having a leaf shaped blade instead of the drop point.

A little OT, but I'd love to see the centofante memory in a g10 version. That seems like it would be an amazing edc.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

I’d be happy with a sprint rather than a redesign - ZDP189 and BR green ..... I might have said that before ;) I’ve asked before and not had a response - has ZDP189 been done in a hollow grind?

I like the idea of linerless CF and screwed construction and would support that as well.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

PSquared wrote:has ZDP189 been done in a hollow grind?
Yes. Walker sprint.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

I’d never say no to solid CF but I was hoping that we’d eventually get it in the Pakkawood configuration since the Delica/Endura are also made in Japan. However, I’d prefer it with solid HAP40...a patina looks great wooden handle scales! Or Cruwear!! Anything and everything in Cruwear...PLEASE! That steel is magical ;)

-Hovan
hovan2yourknives

You sir are a genius!! ;) Awesome idea!
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I like all the ideas mentioned above with the exception of the choil. I can't recall any of the Centofante designs having one and as others said, it would be a completely different knife. High hollow ground ZDP does bring a smile to my face though
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
hovan2yourknives

awa54 wrote:
crazywednesday wrote:CF, wireclip, xhp, CHOIL
I like the idea of an updated Vesuvius (same blade and handle pattern, but with a compression lock) with CF scales, but adding a choil would make it a different knife... It might wind up being a great knife, but it would essentially be a new model.
I agree that it would totally change the knife. The way it’s it is now, I feel like your grip can be right up on the cutting edge as is. IMO we have so many other models to pick from with choils anyway and I’d hate to see the gorgeous profile of the knife altered to accommodate squeezing one in. However, I’m sure that they’d figure out a way to make it work if they did!

I love this thread!

-Hovan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd be all for a new version but only if no major changes were made, partly because it's already awesome and partly out of respect for Frank. I'd be happy with a ZDP sprint, the typical ZDP green (British Racing Green) is ok but I'd rather they used the pale blue they used on the ZDP Stretch. I'd be all for CF too or even polished G10. Definitely would like to see the palladium bug stay. Wire clip isn't a bad idea but having it on both sides will interfere with the bug. This is one hollow grind I make an exception for since it's thin, so I wouldn't care if the blade stayed the same, and to be honest it's one of the most handsome blades Spyderco has ever made and part of that "face" is the grind line. I would most love to see it brought back in Vesuvius form with a compression lock but the back lock is fine if it means it's more likely to happen.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

FFG also?
Justin
olywa

Post by olywa »

Fidelity to the original design is paramount in my mind. Choils and FFG deviate too greatly. At the end of the day it should leave no doubt that it is a Centofante in both look and feel.