Spyderco Ark Re-imagined

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Spyderco Ark Re-imagined

Post by vivi »

The Ark was mixed feelings at first sight.

I've wanted a tiny, FRN/H1 fixed blade to EDC for years. They're my favorite materials to have in a knife design. The Ark answered that wish.

However, it wasn't quite perfect. The generous belly just didn't work for me with such a small cutting edge. Things I tried to cut would slip right off the curved tip.

I've had an image in my mind for months now. An image of how the Ark could look if I ground it to a straight edge.

In addition to re-shaping the edge, I also wanted to eliminate the hump over the spyder hole. That hump is exactly where my thumb wants to go when I use my Ark, so I knew from day one I'd eventually grind it off.

Tonight I finally got around to finishing the mod I've had in mind for months.

I present to you the Spyderco Ark, re-imagined as a modified wharncliffe, or, an "Arkidashi"

For reference, here is a stock Ark:

My mod retains the same amount of cutting edge while utilizing a blade shape that offers superior control. The original reason I purchased an Ark was for an ultralight backpacking / biketouring knife, and not only does this mod lighten the knife, but it makes it perform better when doing camp food prep on a cutting board.

My "Arkidashi" is working great so far. Slicing cardboard I'm not seeing it slip off the tip as often. Using a pinch grip on a cutting board I still have enough clearance to slice food with the straight edge portion of the blade. It's much more efficient dicing an onion, for example, compared to when it had a lot of belly. With the new blade shape, more of the edge can contact the cutting board.

So who else is interested in an H1 wharncliffe fixed blade sized for EDC? Something in between the Ark and Enuff in size / weight? Maybe breed the Street Beat lightweight with the Ronin 2?

I think the Perrin / Janich collaboration in H1/LC200N with thin G10 scales, or something close to it, would make the perfect fixed blade EDC to compliment a folder with belly...

I think wharncliffes and small blades go together like meat and potatoes. Blade shapes with belly that are under 2" long are often difficult to control in comparison.
Last edited by vivi on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:34 am, edited 8 times in total.
:unicorn
loremipsum

Re: Spyderco Ark Re-imagined

Post by loremipsum »

I would be most happy if they could upgrade it to LC200N first.
dolor sit amet
vivi

Post by vivi »

loremipsum wrote:I would be most happy if they could upgrade it to LC200N first.
Agreed, that would be ideal. I'm sure if spyderco did a version of the Janich / Perrin knife they would use a superior steel.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Nice Mod!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Nice - I'd buy one, especially in something with superior edge retention in PE (not H1).

I think this description nails it, but not H1!!
"So who else is interested in an xx wharncliffe fixed blade sized for EDC? Something in between the Ark and Enuff in size / weight? Maybe breed the Street Beat lightweight with the Ronin 2?
Zen

Post by Zen »

Vivi wrote: So who else is interested in an H1 wharncliffe fixed blade sized for EDC? Something in between the Ark and Enuff in size / weight? Maybe breed the Street Beat lightweight with the Ronin 2?
I think the Perrin / Janich collaboration in H1/LC200N with thin G10 scales, or something close to it, would make the perfect fixed blade EDC to compliment a folder with belly...
Exactly what I am waiting for also. This would be my perfect pocket EDC. I dont buy the original Fusion model because of the missing scales and the wharncliff is a bit too much for me. I like the modified wharncliffes with a little bit upswep.
JT

Post by JT »

Looking good Vivi!
"Whark" ? Wharncliffe always ready knife" :D :D

We have had numerous threads about those small Wharnies, but sadly Sal has not yet taken the bait... imho, Ark, or little bit bigger FB would be an ideal wharnie platform. I woudn't mind a folder too, but so far the latest, Jazzlica feels just right.
The Cult Of The Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Wharncliffe version in LC200N for the Win!
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
J D Wijbenga

Post by J D Wijbenga »

Nice improvements on the Ark, Vivi. It looks to be a lot more useful like this for how i use my knives as well.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd buy the Perrin/Janich colab in the right steel. I've wanted one forever.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Really nice mod Vivi. Can you still use the sheath on it?

I think small fixed blades are seriously underrated. I'd be in for something more utility, than self-defence minded.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:I'd buy the Perrin/Janich colab in the right steel. I've wanted one forever.
I've got one on the way. Been a long time since I've tried out some 440C :D
PaleMoon wrote:Really nice mod Vivi. Can you still use the sheath on it?

I think small fixed blades are seriously underrated. I'd be in for something more utility, than self-defence minded.
Yep. The sheath still works the same. The retention doesn't rely on the blade at all.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I've also wanted a smallish LC200N (PE) or H1 (SE) wharnie, as my current smallest fixed wharnie has poor steel and it's a tad too thick, and my only H1 wharnie is too big for normal EDC in most cases.
So yes, a hybrid between these two and I'm in:

I guess it'd be an Enuff, but with thinner stock and pointier tip?
vivi

Post by vivi »

ThePeacent wrote:I guess it'd be an Enuff, but with thinner stock and pointier tip?
Absolutely. I find thin, pointy tips incredibly useful compared to blunted tips like a Pacific Salt or sheepsfoot H1 blades.

It's one of the reasons I'm often attracted to fighting oriented designs. My Szabo folder, Pikal and Yojimbo 2 have the kind of tips I like on a knife, for example. My Pacific Salt did not.