Most difficult Millie to find??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jdw

Most difficult Millie to find??

Post by jdw »

As my Spydie interests float around different models I was wondering what people's experience is with the most difficult Military to find? I can check the production numbers on Spydiewiki but I was wondering which version folks have seen the fewest of or had the most difficulty finding on the secondary market? Thanks!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
WireEdge Roger

Re: Most difficult Millie to find??

Post by WireEdge Roger »

For me it’s been the forum version with the Spyder inlay.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I purchased many of the recent millie sprints new so the only ones that have been hard to find for me are the ones branded "military" on the blade.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Obviously some of the earlier ones, I am still looking for an anodized fluted Ti, that one is a rare bird for sure..
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For me it's been the M390 Military model>> because ever since I fell deeply in love with the one I currently EDC I've been feverishly trying to find a back up unit for it>> But the only one I found that was willing to sell one wanted the price of 3 Rolling Stones tickets for it :eek: and I'm talking about good seats close to the stage too :D

But one of the old C-36 Military models that I've been trying to locate is one of the old 440V full Spyderedged models ( circa 1998-99). Those full Spyderedged Millies are getting very difficult to locate as well irrespective of which blade steel..

Those are two that we probably need Sprint runs of. And 440V is available again too. And if anyone can show me a C-36 Military model better than my M390 I'll get it immediately!!!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

What about those CF S90V sprints? I'm guessing those aren't too easy to find too.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

JD Spydo wrote:... And 440V is available again too. ...
That's a **** of a steel. But wasn't it abandoned due to being too chippy? The composition of the steel wouldn't have changed, but if Sal is willing to experiment with heat treats... My crazy Russian custom® doesn't have any of these problems (although I don't tend to abuse a thin-edged knife) and holds an edge for a lo-ong while. I'm sure Spyderco can do one better!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

And 440V is available again too
Other than some left over at one place that sells to knifemakers I believe it's pretty much gone most places and discoed by the manufacturer. I read it's intended application in industry was in surfaces that had to stand up to abrasive wear along with corrosive chemicals. Coal chutes for instance. Plastic extrusion machines, etc. I still have some 440V natives. The steel does have that carbide bite. Even partially dulled it will still chew through skin . No question it cuts, and cuts, and keeps on cutting like S90V . Long after it doesn't seen all that sharp any more.

Joe
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

WireEdge Roger wrote:For me it’s been the forum version with the Spyder inlay.
I agree 100%! I’ve either had or been able to acquire all other varieties of the Millie except the forum version with the inlay. I may have only seen one for sale anywhere in the last 5 years. I didn’t even know they existed until I saw one of the Deacon’s pics.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The most difficult Millie to find is the camouflage one you drop in the woods ;)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

We made a few pieces with CPM-S125V.

sal
asmith001

Post by asmith001 »

sal wrote:We made a few pieces with CPM-S125V.

sal
I've never heard of this. Show us a pic, Sal!
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

sal
Why didn't they make it into production? Why wasn't there a Mule? Will there be a Mule?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Mastiff wrote:
Other than some left over at one place that sells to knifemakers I believe it's pretty much gone most places and discoed by the manufacturer. I read it's intended application in industry was in surfaces that had to stand up to abrasive wear along with corrosive chemicals. Coal chutes for instance. Plastic extrusion machines, etc. I still have some 440V natives. The steel does have that carbide bite. Even partially dulled it will still chew through skin . No question it cuts, and cuts, and keeps on cutting like S90V . Long after it doesn't seen all that sharp any more.
No it was advertised by one of the more popular steel vendors in the recent issue of BLADE magazine. And they called it 440V and have S60V next to it. So for whatever reason the manufacturer has decided to make it again or maybe some other steel producer might be licensed to make it. I think tomorrow I'll either call or e-mail the company just to make sure that they have it in stock again. I was sort of surprised when I seen it listed on their advertisement. I've always loved it for Spyderedges in particular. And it wasn't too bad in PE except for the fact that it is a real monster to sharpen as many of you know :rolleyes:
sal

Post by sal »

krikun98 wrote:

sal
Why didn't they make it into production? Why wasn't there a Mule? Will there be a Mule?
We just did it to see if we could. It's a "mutha" to grind. Hand ground. Took all day to do 3 blades.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
The Mastiff wrote:
No it was advertised by one of the more popular steel vendors in the recent issue of BLADE magazine. And they called it 440V and have S60V next to it. So for whatever reason the manufacturer has decided to make it again or maybe some other steel producer might be licensed to make it. I think tomorrow I'll either call or e-mail the company just to make sure that they have it in stock again. I was sort of surprised when I seen it listed on their advertisement. I've always loved it for Spyderedges in particular. And it wasn't too bad in PE except for the fact that it is a real monster to sharpen as many of you know :rolleyes:
Interesting info about 440V. A 440V Military is one of the knives that sold me on Spyderco, wouldn't be here today if not for that knife. One of the things that impressed me about 440V was when I was working a night shift warehouse job I sliced into a thick cardboard box that was (unknown to me) reinforced with steel poles on the corner, and the edge was still sharp. Not only did it avoid chipping or severe rolling, but it still sliced paper no problem. Again, I didn't know the steel was hidden in the box, so I was laying into that cut pretty good. The Military looked like it didn't even notice.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Did I understand that someone has a new Millie in 440V/S60V for sale? JD, who is it? What company?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

Couple of 440V blades in my collection. Now finding them in ATS-34, that's a challenge.

vivi

Post by vivi »

joeldworkin307 wrote:Couple of 440V blades in my collection. Now finding them in ATS-34, that's a challenge.

Crazy that the Native has gone through 5 iterations and the Military only 1.
:unicorn
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Sal asked me to share this picture with you. It's the "mutha" to grind, CPM S125V Military Model. ;) Enjoy!
C36_CPM_S125V_Rev2.jpg
There is nothing more important than this one day.