Manix2 Backlock!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Manix2 Backlock!

Post by Jazz »

Donut wrote: With how the stop of the blade goes all the way to the back of the handle on the Para 2, I don't think you could fit a back lock into a Para 2.
If it was a back lock, it wouldn't have the stop pin there.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

In my opinion the R model is a backlock Para2 with 3mm stock. It is awesome and I would love one in G10. It is very similar.

A stretch with a straight spine would also be close enough for me to a backlock Para2.

Bring them on!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

If you made the Para2 a backlock but left the stop pin there you would have a triad lock Para2. ;)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Donut wrote:
Jazz wrote:
Joris Mo wrote: So please help pushing for a PM2 backlock version! :D
(preferably in regular blade/handle thickness)
I'd be glad to. That would be a superb knife.
With how the stop of the blade goes all the way to the back of the handle on the Para 2, I don't think you could fit a back lock into a Para 2.
The stop goes that far on the handle because of the comp lock right? So it wouldn't need that stop pin and it doesn't look impossible to change the blade into a backlock accepting version..
Please tell me if I'm terribly wrong, I only carry folders, I've never made one and I wouldn't be good enough at fine machining to do so. Therefore I've never really dug too deep into the technical details of every lock version and what exactly might be necessary to make one.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Sorry, only just noticed the other answers after posting, I'm sure these guys know enough about it that it should be possible. ;)
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:In my opinion the R model is a backlock Para2 with 3mm stock. It is awesome and I would love one in G10. It is very similar.

A stretch with a straight spine would also be close enough for me to a backlock Para2.

Bring them on!
I'm hoping to get my hands on an R again sometime, it's definitely close to the PM2 although I also like the thicker stock on the PM2 and the pointier tip.
The choil on Stretch used to be a bit too shallow for me but since the Stretch 2 is out in FRN it's been my favourite edc. Would be interesting with a straight spine and PM like blade but I would prefer that in PM like bladestock as well, if even just for the tip.

Like the idea for the triad lock as well! ;)
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Joris Mo wrote:
Jazz wrote:It really is that well made of a knife. Trust us. I have a PM 2 that I've had for years, and still don't use it. It's the pinching lock. I love back locks, and this Manix is fealty nice in that area too.
So please help pushing for a PM2 backlock version! :D
(preferably in regular blade/handle thickness)[/q

Leave it be :( There are plenty of back lock Spyderco models so...enjoy ! Comp lock is an awesome lock as it is and some of us, quite a few, love our comp lock Par2s.I can tell you that: triad lock aside, a back lock will fail before a WELL BUILT comp lock does.I'm tired to hear how the back lock is the strongest and most reliable lock there is ...well...it's not.

Marius
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

... and all y'all can have your Para 2 comp locks. We're talking about a new model. We think back locks are better. I doubt it would happen anyway, but we can hope.

As for design, why would it not work? It's a pocket knife. It can be made a back lock. Don't look at the internals it has now. They'd be different for a back lock. Simple as that.
- best wishes, Jazz.
bearfacedkiller

I cut with the edge of my blades, not with the spine. Lock strength is of little importance to me. As long as it is secure it serves it's purpose for me and both styles do that. I do not understand why lock strength matters for EDC. MBC, sure it makes sense. There are a handful of other consideration to take into account besides just lock strength.

I have yet to break a lock in my uses but I have had a blade with a ball detent fail to stay closed, more than once. From that perspective I have never had a backlock fail but I have in fact had a comp lock fail a few times. Not fail to stay open but rather fail to stay closed. ;)

To be honest, I do love the comp lock too. I just find it interesting how strongly many feel against back locks and how quick many are to proclaim the comp lock as the greatest. :)
-Darby
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

For me, the backlock detent is why I prefer it. They don't open on accident and are more deliberate to close. The free swinging PM2, which many like that trait, I steer clear of.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I also quite like the comp lock and the PM & PM 2 are some of the blades that I've carried most but there is indeed more to safety function of a lock than just lock fail, I have also had quite a few blades open on me when they weren't supposed to but never a back lock.
(or a slipjoint.. ;) )

If a PM 2 with back lock would ever happen it would never replace the comp lock just like it won't replace the bbl on the Manix 2.

They're also very practical but not as much fun to play/flick/etc. so they'll never be as popular with a big part of the market that wants that.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Got this knife today and I love the smoother g10, linerless g10, tubeless lanyard hole, absolutely perfect fit and finish. thank you Eric for this impressive design.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Yes, it is a really superb knife. I like everything about it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:Yes, it is a really superb knife. I like everything about it.
I don't understand the need for a thicker blade stock.It's overkill IMO.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

elena86 wrote:
Is the blade stock on the back lock thicker than the CBBL version?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Slumblor wrote:
elena86 wrote:
Is the blade stock on the back lock thicker than the CBBL version?
Yep.3.7 mm vs 3.2 mm ! Overkill :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

elena86 wrote: I don't understand the need for a thicker blade stock.It's overkill IMO.
You barely notice it. It's still FFG, and cuts great. Not seeing the problem. It's a solid, tough knife, very well made and designed, that still cuts. Plain and simple.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote: I just find it interesting how strongly many feel against back locks and how quick many are to proclaim the comp lock as the greatest. :)

Personally I get as much enjoyment out of the operation of the lock as I do out of the use of the knife. I enjoy the little bits of engineering that go into a knife. I really like how complex the inside of the Sliverax is, just because I know a lot of thought went into it. I'm typically a subscriber of the KISS method, but when it comes to knives I do enjoy the complexity of it too. I enjoy a good friction folder too for the simplicity, but lock function is fun and back locks are just a little boring to me. They're plenty functional and I know there's a lot more thought and engineering going into them than it may seem, but they just aren't as enjoyable for me to use.

In other words they're not as fun to knifesterbate with :rolleyes:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
johnson

Post by johnson »

"Knifesterbate" :D Good one D ! Have to remember that :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Jazz wrote:
elena86 wrote: I don't understand the need for a thicker blade stock.It's overkill IMO.
You barely notice it. It's still FFG, and cuts great. Not seeing the problem. It's a solid, tough knife, very well made and designed, that still cuts. Plain and simple.
agree completely
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb