New EDC Fixed Blade - Suggestions?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

New EDC Fixed Blade - Suggestions?

Post by vivi »

Right now I have three Spyderco fixed blades I enjoy using on a regular basis....an Ark, Swick 3 and Aqua Salt.

I've been EDCing the Swick and Ark enough that I'd like to buy something a bit bigger than those, but a little smaller than the Aqua Salt. I find the Aqua Salt is maybe 1/2" to 1" longer than I want for an EDC FB, and the aggressive handle texture feels bad carried IWB without an undershirt.

The two knives I'm most interested in right now are the Street Beat and Ronin 2.

I owned the micarta Street Beat at one point and liked it, would still own it had I not been offered a good trade for a few folding spydercos. I'll go with the black version if I choose to buy one since it appeals to me more for a few reasons. I know this could fill the role since I've used it before, but like the Ark I really don't care for that much belly in a knife.

I never owned either Ronin but I have used both versions of the Yojimbo and enjoyed them. I have always had a strong preference for wharncliffes when it comes to EDC / utility work, which is the main appeal of the Ronin 2, and from using the Yojimbo 2 I know the handle will work. Being just a bit shorter and lighter than the Aqua Salt its the size I want. I guess my only hesitation with this knife is I feel it's pretty aggressive looking. Shouldn't be an issue for me because I live somewhere that I can comfortably carry and use a Szabo folder without second thought, but its still something I think about when I look at photos.

The Enuff and Mules are also on my radar. Probably will pass on the Enuff due to the handle texture. If I could get my hands on an LC200N Mule that'd be an attractive option for me...The Reverse also has a superb blade shape for my EDC uses, but from trying to put a P'kal into my EDC rotation I know the handle is not suited towards utility work...

What do you think?
:unicorn
Igi964

Re: New EDC Fixed Blade - Suggestions?

Post by Igi964 »

LC200N or 20CV Mule would be my choice.
Honestly I am thinking about it too:) They are both stil in Stock on Spyderco page.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I find my various Mules just so handy for a variety of everyday tasks that I have found this model hard for me to replace for edc.
Fortunately I get to try a variety of good blade steels in the Mules, and I am hoping to see CPM REX 121 offered at some future time.
I also like the .118" blade thickness of the Mules which, with the full flat grind, makes them efficient little cutters, and the G-10 scales fit and feel good to my hand.
Just a lot of little details that I personally like in an edc fixed blade.

Dave
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I've been coming back to the Sprig since last week, it's a very nice design. Love that thin edge and the handle is very well done.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
vivi

Post by vivi »

El Gato wrote:I find my various Mules just so handy for a variety of everyday tasks that I have found this model hard for me to replace for edc.
Fortunately I get to try a variety of good blade steels in the Mules, and I am hoping to see CPM REX 121 offered at some future time.
I also like the .118" blade thickness of the Mules which, with the full flat grind, makes them efficient little cutters, and the G-10 scales fit and feel good to my hand.
Just a lot of little details that I personally like in an edc fixed blade.

Dave
All very good reasons to consider a mule. I've owned many in the past and would not be opposed to another.

My main issue with them was sourcing all of the components from different folks, e.g. the blade, scales and sheath often amount to three different orders, while I can get a Street Beat or similar in 1/4 the clicks.

That and the thumb ramp is a bit short for me. I'm unusual in that I have really long thumbs and most of the prominent thumb ramps on Spydercos are too far back to work for my hands. Mules fall into that category. I could probably make one work long term, but I'm more inclined towards the prospect of a design that is geared towards people like me from the get go.

The Sprig is very attractive. Thin and light while still being capable. I could do much worse......
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

That thump ramp on Mule is a bit of a concern for me too. Never handled one in hand, so I'm not sure.
Sprig is very nice, but handle is thin to my taste. I like more hand filling knives.
Another option is wait for the new upcoming design from Phil Wilson - Bow river. There is an interesting thread about it, here on the forum. It should be low cost knife, but still a Phil Wilson:)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

My one concern in recommending the Mule Team knives for your consideration is the size of the handle. I have pretty large mitts myself and I would not want the handle on my Mules to be any smaller than it already is.

I am totally with you in wishing there was more love and blade steel options for the Manix 2 XL, because that to me would be the ultimate working knife. If I could get the XL in one of my favored tool steel blades, and maintain the .125" blade thickness, I believe the Manix 2 XL would then replace the Mules for edc for me.

I have asked Sal for PMA11 in the Manix 2 XL, and I would love to see M-4, K-390, and especially Maxamet and REX 121 offered, with the DLC coating as an additional option for environments like yours.
They say good things come to those who wait. So we wait, and wait, and ........ :(

Dave
sanman28

Post by sanman28 »

I grabbed a enuff.....the mule was just too big for my EDC needs. I have parted ways with every EDC folding knife that was in excess of 3"....and figured the FB should follow. That being said, I still keep a bushcraft FB that is 4+ for that task. But EDC...nope. Too big.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

El Gato wrote:My one concern in recommending the Mule Team knives for your consideration is the size of the handle. I have pretty large mitts myself and I would not want the handle on my Mules to be any smaller than it already is. :(
That's why I'm still sold on the original TEMPERANCE 1 model. The handle on that unit is so well designed that I've not yet heard of anyone saying that they did not find the TEMP 1 handle uncomfortable>> just the contrary I've had a lot of guys with different sized hands swear that the handle on the TEMP 1 fits them like a glove.

The handle and the overall blade design of the TEMP 1 is a fixed blade that they truly had made perfect from the get-go. A Sprint Run of the TEMP 1 in one of the Nitrogen based blade steels would truly be special.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Igi964 wrote:That thump ramp on Mule is a bit of a concern for me too. Never handled one in hand, so I'm not sure.
Sprig is very nice, but handle is thin to my taste. I like more hand filling knives.
Another option is wait for the new upcoming design from Phil Wilson - Bow river. There is an interesting thread about it, here on the forum. It should be low cost knife, but still a Phil Wilson:)
The Bow River looks really nice, thanks for the heads up!
spyderwolf

Post by spyderwolf »

Streat Beat LW.Not too big,not too small,not too expensive,ffg,great ergos,awesome jimping.The only deal breaker is the Perrin choil-you either love it or hate it.
I love mine so much,i bought its big brother also...
Whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

spyderwolf wrote:Streat Beat LW.Not too big,not too small,not too expensive,ffg,great ergos,awesome jimping.The only deal breaker is the Perrin choil-you either love it or hate it.
I've loved my STREETBEAT for EDC uses over the years. It was also my late best friends main EDC>> and him and I both wondered why Spyderco never offered it in Spyderedge :confused:

That's another big reason I love the TEMPERANCE 1 model so well as I do>> because it is for sure a near perfect blade design for about anything you could want to use it for in SE & PE both.

The STREETBEAT is just really handy for it's size and it's handle is just great. I would recommend the STREETBEAT for any kind of EDC uses.
vivi

Post by vivi »

spyderwolf wrote:Streat Beat LW.Not too big,not too small,not too expensive,ffg,great ergos,awesome jimping.The only deal breaker is the Perrin choil-you either love it or hate it.
That's what I'm leaning towards right now. The handle is smooth without any grippy inserts that stick to clothing, which I prefer.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:
Vivi wrote:
Evil D wrote:For the last two days it's been the Street Beat, but we are having a rocky relationship so far. I can't seem to figure out a carry solution that works for me.
It's a little unorthodox but I liked carrying it at 1 o clock with the handle canted towards my strong side.
I could carry it that way just fine outside of work but I need it concealed. It would also help if it isn't sticking out in a way that it'll get rolled around on the ground. I can't fault the stock sheath, it's very well made and gets the job done, I just have a pretty unique carry need.
Hopping back into this thread so we don't derail the other...

I'm interested to see what you end up doing David. I have a fixed custom of similar size. I never really settled on a perfect system (yet), but like Vivi, I found something in the appendix area worked best for me for concealed carry. IWB, at an angle you can sit or squat without pain, it doesn't print like other spots around the belt.

After that it seems like a horizontal leather sheath, weak side 10 to 11 (12?) o'clock is a decent solution.

Only other possibilities in my mind are something near the ankle with long pants, or neck carry. The street beat isn't heavy, but I've never neck carried anything over 2 oz's either. I'm sure the handle might print there too if you're just wearing a thin tshirt. But maybe that's a winter carry option.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

In the cooler months and when fishing or wandering around the woods I regularly carry the Street Beat as a neck knife. In warmer months just loose in my pocket works for me. Neck carry is a funny thing, either you like it or you don't.

The choil in the handle makes for great retention and an easy draw.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?