Delica or Native III as a food knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Delica or Native III as a food knife?

Post by GarageBoy »

This will be used to cut steaks, various meats, etc. Which one is better?
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Either way, I'll be getting Serrated
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

IMO I think either of your choices are too small for food use and I don't understand why you have narrowed your choice down to these two folders. Fixed blade knives are easier to clean and maintain for food use and less likely to harbor bacteria (harder for the critters to hide). You don't say whether you plan food prep or strictly table use. Does it need to be portable? Do you want serrated for lower maintainance sharpness or for some other specific reason.
Other choices that come to my mind include 4" Utility, Vagabond, Temperance, Stretch, Endura, Police, Pacific. Of these, Endura, Vagabond and Utility are well within the price range of your choices.
If it is either Native or Delica, I'd go with the Delica.
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

if you have one serrated and the other is not, obviously pick the serrated, whichever it is. If you really have to choose, I'd say Delica. It feels more comfortable in the hand if you have to peel potatoes and such...more versatile as a food knife I think
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

I say go with plain edge. I think it cuts a whole **** of alot better.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd pick the delica for a table steak knife. It's a bit slimmer and a IMO a tad better blade geometry for slicing steaks. Don't get a serrated edge just because all steak knives are serrated. :spyder: knows how to make a blade that cuts well withouth teeth. If you have a sharpmaker, then by all means get the plain edge. It's more fun cutting with a PE that you can sharpen too, while your friends around the table are sawing with their serrated steak knives! :D

wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
JDEE

Post by JDEE »

I'd use the Delica, and have, but only on a wooden surface. I would never use my Spydies on any other surface. The edge won't last long, regardless of how good Spydies are, if you use them on "china".
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Ray.Hood

Probably the Delica.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I don't know a whole heck of a lot about the Native. Just what i've seen
here, picture wise. The Delica is smaller, good blade geometry and easier to handle in a tight spot.
charlie

Post by charlie »

I agree with SPYDERKNUT, use a fixed blade for sanitary reasons.
Take a look at the Vagabond FB12 for steak knife type applications. not expensive either
The Spyderco Vagabond is designed for the wanderer. If you backpack, camp or picnic, chances are you've at some point needed a lightweight fixed-blade. The strong point of a fixed-blade knife is that they are manufactured from a single piece of steel with no folding parts to fail or break- ideal for use outdoors. A fixed-blade's weak point is they require a separate carry sheath for safe transport. The Vagabond's unique plastic sheath is made from part of the underside of the handle. A plastic cover pivots out/upward, snapping-over and safely covering the cutting edge eliminating the need for a bulky carrying sheath.
If the steak knife in a resturant was dull I have been known to use my EDC spyderco's to get the job done ( Native, Bob Lumb Chinese Folder, etc). :)
:spyder: Collector #047
C.P. Adams Jr.
talonturbo

Post by talonturbo »

I've used a PE Native before as a food knife and I think it would be better than a Delica. I now use a SE Calypso jr and it's awesome for food.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I'd rather have a separate sheath for a Fixed blade. I want serrated because I don't want to worry too much about dulling from the edge hitting the plate
Jimd

Post by Jimd »

Personally, I'd go with the Native. In fact, I have gone with the Native! :)
Referee in the Bowels of ****
Email: ST8PEN01@aol.com
Artwork For Sale

"...We few, we happy few...we band of brothers...For whoever sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare

If you are not willing to stand behind our troops, by all means, please stand in front of them!
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

If you go with folder, clean it very well and then oil it with a bit of Olive Oil.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Are there any small fixed blades with like the Vagabond seperate sheath?
CKE

Post by CKE »

Be careful with olive oil to lube as it will go rancid. Had my SS Police lubed with cooking oil and it turned into a mess. A small amount of White Lightning or Miltec should not affect food you are using. Just a heads up...I'd say go Delica over Native :)
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!