Pocket Dump

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Pocket Dump

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Folks, what sort of Spydies are you carrying along with all of the other stuff in your pockets?

Here is today's list:

Morning: Urban LW, and SAK Classic SD on my keys.
Afternoon: Manix 2 Back Lock while walking and also during a seminar.
Night: Chaparral.

This is pretty typical for me. My days are compartmentalized so I usually change out my knives depending on what I am doing at that time of day.

Anybody else do this?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Re: Pocket Dump

Post by abbazaba »

Caly3 in the office today. Knife is the only thing I really rotate other than grabbing a bigger flashlight depending.

Probably going to cram in a hike after work... No telling what I actually grab in the end, but the odds of the Police4 coming with me are pretty high. Manix2 LW lives in my backpack, so that might come too depending on how much beer I need to carry up the mountain after a day in the office :)

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My days are usually spent abroad with no time to come home and rotate my EDC selection. Thus, i usually balance my pockets with a large, medium and smaller blade as well as some combination of PE and SE. This generally meets all my daily cutting needs. I cannot recall a day in the last decade where I was without a proper tool to cut the mustard. :D

Below is a common pocket dump for me (multitool and watch pocket knife not pictured.

sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

At this time I'm again rotating my M390 Military along with my C-60 Sprint, G-10 Ayoob model>> in the plain edge category those are my current main two folders that I constantly EDC. When it comes to what I refer to as a "companion folder" most of the time I have a Hawkbill which would either be the H-1 Spyderhawk or my VG-10 Harpy. But here lately my ATS-55, Spyderedged, Stainless RESCUE is getting a lot of SE duty here lately.

I also lately have been EDCing my Surefire E2D Defender flashlight and on certain occasions I've been also carrying my VICTORINOX Swiss Tool.

I always have some hardware on me most of the time unless I"m at a place where knives are strictly not allowed :( But I try to avoid that situation as much as possible. I truly do feel naked when I don't have my EDC hardware with me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Something PE - Police 3 most often, sometimes a Military, Manix or Szabo folder

Something SE - Tasman or Pacific Salt

Multitool - Leatherman Micra or Squirt

So typically Police 3 PE, Tasman Salt SE, and a Micra. If I'm running / rock climbing / hiking etc. I switch to a single Pacific Salt.

I always carry the same light. Fenix PD22 with a rechargeable cell.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It varies depending on what I'm doing, mainly if I'm working or not. On my off days I might carry a second knife or something I wouldn't use for work.

Usually it goes something like:

Spyderco main EDC
Spyderco Dragonfly Salt (hawkbill these days)
Victorinox Spirit

Really the only tool I truly carry everyday that never changes is the Spirit.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Main Spyderco (Pakkawood Endura today)
Manbug SE Salt
Fenix PD35 Tac Light
Boker Micarta .50 Fisher Pen
Rat Bastard Bottle opener/nut driver

Same thing everyday other then my main knife.
Josh
Lumpy620

Post by Lumpy620 »

2017-10-10 10.45.30.jpg
Typical work day for me... left to right:

Klarus XT1C
Sliverax
Leatherman Juice S2
Zippo
1885 Morgan Dollar

Not pictured is the wallet, and the phone (Galaxy Note 4, soon to be Galaxy Note 8). The :spyder: rotates, I find my carry has mostly consisted of the Southard, S110V Para 2, S90V Orange Manix 2 LW, Caly 3.5, and the Positron, along with whatever newer one I have (Sliverax has only left the pocket one day since I got it).

On the non :spyder: days (blasphemy! I know) it's been the ZT0808, Kershaw Link S35VN, and the BRS Replicant or Barebones.

Flashlight and multi don't really change at work, but outside I rotate between a couple 2 cell Olight/Fenix lights, and a couple larger Leatherman/SOG multis.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I always carry two knives. I never switch up knives midday but do change from day to day. I have carried the same flashlight every day now for almost three years. That never changes. I also always carry Chapstick, wallet, phone and keys. That is pretty much it. I also have a small flashlight, a peanut lighter and tweezers on my keys. Over the years I have carried a multitool off and on but haven't carried one in about a year. It was handy at my last job but not so much now.

One other thing, I won't leave the house without sunglasses and a hat. My pale blue Irish eyes don't like the sun. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

well my EDC has always at least 5 elements:

- main folder (usually a Spyderco Pacific Salt, or 3.5-4" Cold Steel)
- big blade (usually a Spyderco fixed blade or big XL Cold Steel folder)
- Multitool (normally a LM, SOG, or Gerber depending on the day)
- SAK (usually a big, thick one, like Handyman, Champion or Swisschamp)
- AAA light (most days a Lumintop or LED Lenser P3, two lights on winter time)

most days I also carry a secondary folder, usually a Spyderco Hawkbill (Tasman Salt, Spyderhawk, Lil'Matriarch).

So, typical Summer carries would be:

and typical Winter carries would be:

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I now tend to favor one principal knife for a while. The graceful Police4 is my current fascination. How can such a large knife in the hand be so small in the pocket?

My keychain has had a small Spydie on it for several years. An SE Ladybug Hawkbill Salt has returned to it after a brief run with the SE Manbug Salt that proved something of a disappointment for quick garden work.

My modest pocket habits, I hasten to add, don't prevent me from grabbing a better Spydie for a given task or just a different one to fondle. My hands might touch half a dozen on a given day.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Everyday is the same:

Mule Team with Boltaron sheath. IWB
Titanium Chaparral. RFP
Keys, GI can opener, screwdrivers slot & Philips, all on key ring. LFP
Titanium Embassy pen, Maratac AAA-2 Titanium light. LSP
Glasses. RSP
Wallet with usual contents. LBP
Large bandana handkerchief, Wigi bar and notebook. RBP

Whenever away from home:
SS Peanut Lighter XL, 2 spare AAA batteries in battery lockers, nail clipper, tweezers, band-aids, all in compact belt pack.
vivi

Post by vivi »

El Gato wrote:Everyday is the same:

Mule Team with Boltaron sheath. IWB
Titanium Chaparral. RFP
Keys, GI can opener, screwdrivers slot & Philips, all on key ring. LFP
Titanium Embassy pen, Maratac AAA-2 Titanium light. LSP
Glasses. RSP
Wallet with usual contents. LBP
Large bandana handkerchief, Wigi bar and notebook. RBP

Whenever away from home:
SS Peanut Lighter XL, 2 spare AAA batteries in battery lockers, nail clipper, tweezers, band-aids, all in compact belt pack.
What's your carry method for the Mule?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

[quote="Vivi" What's your carry method for the Mule?[/quote]

IWB = Inside the Waist Band, right side appendix carry with rearward cant.
I relocated the G-Clip to the opposite side of the Boltaron sheath for IWB carry. Very comfortable carry and easily accessible.
The G-Clip clips securely to the waistband of my jeans or dress pants and holds tightly in place for easy draw or re-sheath of the knife.
Concealable with a light vest, or untucked shirt, when going to town. I am never without one of my favorite Mules. :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Most days are generally the same for me, depending on what I'm doing.

Main Knife, small knife, wallet, phone, keychain (w/ flashlight, bottle opener, and utility knife), and a leather EDC organizer. The EDC organizer is almost exclusively carried in a backpack, just about never in pocket.
The knives will often be something different, but have been carrying the Wharncliffe Delica a lot lately. Will usually be carrying the Ladybug Hawkbill or Squarehead as a second small blade.

This shot is from work today. (minus a small knife :( )
-Nick :bug-red
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

A lot of my carry doesn't change. This stuff is the regular gear:
Olight S1R Baton
Seiko 5 SNK809 w/ NATO strap (I do change the straps regularly)
Car key on dangler
Other keys and tools on dangler
Bellroy Slim Sleeve wallet
Tom Bihn Synapse 25 with a bunch of stuff in it, usually including the keys and wallet.

The only thing I really vary often is the knife. Here's today's ParaTuesday carry for work:
ImagePocket dump 10/10/2017 by dplafoll, on Flickr
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Victorinox Spirit multitool and a Stretch 2 in VG10 all day.
(and always carry some basic 1 AA battery led flashlight and a BIC lighter around)
Had a Terävä Skrama and a S110V Manix 2 LW lying around the kitchen for food prep today.
After I just got home from training close to 22.00 and switched into 'pyjamas' ,jogging pants, a droppoint UKPK in my pocket.

Last sunday with similar carry I did add an RMJ tactical Utsidihi when going for a walk but I don't usually keep switching all throughout the day.
vivi

Post by vivi »

El Gato wrote:[quote="Vivi" What's your carry method for the Mule?
IWB = Inside the Waist Band, right side appendix carry with rearward cant.
I relocated the G-Clip to the opposite side of the Boltaron sheath for IWB carry. Very comfortable carry and easily accessible.
The G-Clip clips securely to the waistband of my jeans or dress pants and holds tightly in place for easy draw or re-sheath of the knife.
Concealable with a light vest, or untucked shirt, when going to town. I am never without one of my favorite Mules. :)[/quote]

I've been considering a larger fixed blade for EDC and wasn't sure how I'd try carrying it, thanks for the response. I put an Ark or Swick on the front of my belt horizontally some days, but for a bigger FB it'll probably have to go IWB more towards my back.

Now the only question is which knife. I could put together a Mule, re-purchase a Street Bowie or Street Beat since I traded mine, or maybe something else I've over looked....
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Vivi wrote:
El Gato wrote:[quote="Vivi" What's your carry method for the Mule?
IWB = Inside the Waist Band, right side appendix carry with rearward cant
I've been considering a larger fixed blade for EDC and wasn't sure how I'd try carrying it, thanks for the response. I put an Ark or Swick on the front of my belt horizontally some days, but for a bigger FB it'll probably have to go IWB more towards my back.

Now the only question is which knife. I could put together a Mule, re-purchase a Street Bowie or Street Beat since I traded mine, or maybe something else I've over looked....[/quote]

The only way you'll really know is to give it a good try, and that's part of the fun of trying new things. Which ever knife you choose I would suggest carrying that knife for a full week to see if you really like the carry method/position and the chosen knife. Once you find the right combination the rest is easy. :)
illacky

Post by illacky »

This list remains mostly the same except the knife and CCW changes depending on the day/mood. Today I had:
-S110V Manix LW
-Olight S1A w/14500 cell
-Kahr CM9 w/galco pocket holster
-Leatherman juice s2
-Bic lighter
-Standard items: phone-wallet-keys
-Ivan