It's Happened...The Delica Has Been De-throned

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Eli Chaps

It's Happened...The Delica Has Been De-throned

Post by Eli Chaps »

I reckon it was nine or so years ago that I got my first Delica 4. My first Spyderco actually. I'd always lusted after a Spyderco, but for a long time I was on an enlisted man's budget with two kids living off base and it was just out of the question. But eventually I got me one and that was it. No other knife I had or fondled could compare in overall value. That original hollow ground Delica served me very well and it now sees daily pocket time with my oldest daughter and she loves it.

Late last year I decided to start buying different Spyderco's that intrigued me to see if there was a design out there that would kick the Delica out of my pocket. What a shame it would be if there was a great knife out there that I didn't try right? The Manix 2 LW came very, very close. I freaking love that knife! But, my job had transitioned to mostly butt-in-chair time now and it was just a little too large for my now more dainty apple slicing type demands. :p I liked the Dragonfly 2 but rather quickly dismissed it as too small. The Sage 5 is beautiful but the handle was just a touch off and the compression lock is not my favorite, great knife, just not quite enough to dethrone the D4. Endura 4 is also great but a little too large so nope. The Stretch 2 is also nice but the handle did not work for me. I really believe the finger choil ruined this one for me. I really wanted to like but just didn't.

The Dfly2 found it's way into the bowl-o-stuff beside my chair. I intentionally bought it in orange just in case I decided not to carry it daily and then if it went into said bowl it would be easy to spot for mail and packages and toe-calluses and the like. :D Over the months, I realized I was fondling that little knife a lot and so I tossed it back into my pocket to have another open-minded go at it.

It occurred to me that in reality, my true pocket knives had always been on the small side. Be they multi-bladed traditionals or what have you, I almost always had carried a pocket knife that was around two inches or even less. I guess somewhere along the way I had decided I needed a larger one but in truth, I really I didn't.

I absolutely love the design of the Dfly2 and the thin blade lets you just keep on cutting even when that super fine edge is gone.

The nail in the proverbial coffin for the D4 as an EDC for me was a couple weeks ago. I was walking up to my car door with my arms loaded. An elderly lady in the truck next to me opened her door, more or less right into me, and I lost my balance. I fell against my car and forward. The D4 clip put two very nice scratches right down my car. A wire clip just wouldn't have done that.

I could go on but I've been long winded enough I reckon. So, for me, these days, it's the Dragonfly 2 and the Manix 2 LW.

I honestly didn't think the D4 would ever get kicked out of my pocket but the experiment that I set out on proved a worthwhile endeavor.
twinboysdad

Re: It's Happened...The Delica Has Been De-throned

Post by twinboysdad »

I have several Spydies, I EDC a Dfly M-F. It is the quintessential biz casual EDC for me
Sigsog226

Post by Sigsog226 »

Im with ya! Dragonfly 2 is within my top 5 favorite folding knives along with the pm2. For me the clip, lw, ergos(4 finger grip), spydie hole, small size make it a winner. And its good lookin!
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Dfly2 is not a Delica4 killer but a 2.75-3 inch blade lenght one could be a great substitute for those who prefer finger choils and leaf shape blades over ricassos and modified clip point blades.It's Sal's best design IMHO.The Man is a genius designer and Dfly2 is his masterpiece.Please Sal give us an XL Dfly2 :spyder:

Marius
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i read the post heading and thought i was having a nightmare, lol. say it isn't so eli, delica....de-throned? nooooo, never! :)
FK

Post by FK »

Gave up on pocket clips years ago. SUV paint, flipping out with seat belts, furniture damage,,, etc.
Lost two Spyderco knives over the years with mystery pocket ejections.

Victorinox soft nylon pouch on belt for Delica 4 or PM2.
Found a Benchmade nylon pouch for my Military carry.
I do carty my Delica 4 ZDP189 and Dragonfly HAP40 cliped to shirt pocket with covering flap, much easier access when driving a desk.

Regards,
FK
X3M

Post by X3M »

elena86 wrote:It's Sal's best design IMHO.The Man is a genius designer and Dfly2 is his masterpiece.
A H1 DFly2 saved on my Ebay account is just begging to be bought, a decent redemption code will tip me over the edge in no time flat :p
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Eli Chaps wrote: I honestly didn't think the D4 would ever get kicked out of my pocket but the experiment that I set out on proved a worthwhile endeavor.
I never thought that any knife will kick out C83 Persian out of my pocket either.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
timlara

Post by timlara »

Couldn't agree more on the superiority of the wire clips. I love the Delica too, but for me, once I started carrying the wire clip models, the stamped clips just feel outdated and clunky. I get that some people need/want the added durability, but for my light duty EDC needs, the wire clips are perfectly secure enough, and I prefer how easy they are to slip in and out of pocket, as well as the fact they cause less wear on the pocket edge.

For me, the Delica killer is the 110V UKPK. I haven't really wanted to carry anything else since I got mine, I love it!
Tim
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The DF is an awesome knife. I have more versions of this knife than any other. I do not carry one quite as much as I used to because of the Urban LW, but I still carry one a couple or three times a week. I have my Nishijin in my pocket now, in fact (they need to come out with more of this one, perhaps red).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really shocked the Delica does so well in sales. It's not that it isn't a great knife at a reasonable price, it's that there are so many better options for not much more money.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Evil D wrote:I'm really shocked the Delica does so well in sales. It's not that it isn't a great knife at a reasonable price, it's that there are so many better options for not much more money.
+1
Delica is a very good knife, but IMHO there are better options in this price range.
With Centofate3 being the "best kept Spyderco's secret".
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bh49 wrote:
Evil D wrote:I'm really shocked the Delica does so well in sales. It's not that it isn't a great knife at a reasonable price, it's that there are so many better options for not much more money.
+1
Delica is a very good knife, but IMHO there are better options in this price range.
With Centofate3 being the "best kept Spyderco's secret".
Seriously. The only realistic reason to choose a Delica over a Centofante 3 is if you want 4 way clip options. Otherwise the Centofante is better in every way IMO.
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Delica ffg vs Centofante hollow - Delica wins IMO
Delica frn Bi-Directional Texturing plus guard - Delica wins
Delica edge shape wins IMO
Delica pocket clip wins
Centofante3 edge lenght and no ricasso - Centofante3 wins
And the winner is Delica4 IMHO
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmm

I would agree on the FFG vs hollow grind but at 2mm the Centofante will slice as well or better.

The Delica grip texture is great but the ergonomics suck if you have larger than average hands. The grip texture is also irrelevant unless you have wet/greasy hands.

Centofante can do tip up or down so unless you're a lefty that's a moot point.

You also forgot that the Centofante has that awesome palladium bug which is unique to this model, and just overall is a way classier looking knife and carries slimmer in pocket.
~David
bh49

Just your opinion

Post by bh49 »

elena86 wrote:Delica ffg vs Centofante hollow - Delica wins IMO Agree about that this is your opinion. Mine is different
Delica frn Bi-Directional Texturing plus guard - Delica wins. This is also you opinion. IMHO Centofante3 and 4 has the best looking FRN scales with plenty of grip and ergos.
Delica edge shape wins IMO Just your opinion.
Delica pocket clip wins Seriously?
Centofante3 edge lenght and no ricasso - Centofante3 wins I know, it is hard to ignore facts :)
And the winner is Delica4 IMHO
Right :rolleyes:

tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Another Delica fan here. Delica wins the hearts of lots of people without getting into comparisons or technical details because of two things: one is options, loads of options, the other is good ergonomics. Sure it won't fit everybody's hand like a glove, but it fits most people's.
The Salt 2 might dethrone the Delica once I get one into my hands, mostly because of the broad tip (that many dislike).
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tonijedi wrote:Another Delica fan here. Delica wins the hearts of lots of people without getting into comparisons or technical details because of two things: one is options, loads of options, the other is good ergonomics. Sure it won't fit everybody's hand like a glove, but it fits most people's.
The Salt 2 might dethrone the Delica once I get one into my hands, mostly because of the broad tip (that many dislike).
If they'd just do away with those finger grooves I'd be on board. Heck even Glock has finally got the message that grooves mean your product won't fit everyone.
~David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Where are the Delica fans when you need them ? I'm too old for this :rolleyes:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

elena86 wrote:Where are the Delica fans when you need them ? I'm too old for this :rolleyes:
It's like the playground all over again huh?

By the way I'm gonna need your lunch money or I'm gonna give you a fat lip ;)
~David