What would you like Spyderco to make next?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jon_USA

What would you like Spyderco to make next?

Post by Jon_USA »

Fixed blade or Folder?

I would love to see a fixed blade Military style knife from Spyderco.

Patern it off the Military lines and make the tip a bit thicker, thicker width on the S30V steel. G-10 handles and leave the Spyder Hole in it as a choke up point.

That would be sweet

OR

A Compression lock Military after the Para.
JD Spydo

Bison Now!!!

Post by JD Spydo »

Yes I really want to see that Bison come on line for 3 reasons. First of all I can't think of any company that really has a banner " big folder". Second I think there is a legimate market/need for a folder that size because a fixed blade is not always handy or expedient. Third as we know the Great :spyder: Factory is known to be "The Inovator" in the knife industry. So why let someone else be first with that concept. Also I think there could be room for a Fixed blade version of that knife ( i.e. Temperance-- Lil' Temperance). Also I would add that you could also add a gut hook and make a "Supreme Hunter" version of it ( in a folder of course). :) :spyder: :)
UK KEN

Centurion!

Post by UK KEN »

Hello

I'd like to see something really special for the c-100! A name like Centurion would sound good and have some relevance too if it was a tactical piece.

A 4" fixed blade with a false edge/bevel back edge like the Applegate Fairbairn Combat knife would be excellent. I'd lose the hole as it wouldn't be needed in a FB knife. A decent guard to stop hands slipping down onto the blade would help and a G-10 or matte CF grip would look good.

Regards Ken
Hannibal Lecter

Cricket/Harpy Amalgam

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

I would most like to see a Cricket SS with a hawkbill Harpy-style blade, maybe partially serrated. Though it is not likely to become a reality, it seems that it would be a *really* nice little carry piece with an enormous amount of cutting power for the size.

Oh, well. I suppose I can dream. Or I can pop for another Cricket SS and start removing metal, which is crossing my mind very seriously right now...
redline

Post by redline »

More slipjoint folders to follow the UK Penknife !!!
There's going to be a Danish version, but how about a G10/S30V Pride ???
I'm sure slipjoints are the way ahead, if you read the comments from Sal & others who've been using the penknife, they don't miss a locking blade, and with ever tightening knife laws this may be all you're allowed before long, so Spyderco could really steal a large part of the market.
Ray.Hood

I would like to see a 4 inch fixed blade.

Post by Ray.Hood »

I would like to see a black-bladed, dagger point fixed blade.
Not sure about the handle materials tho. What do you think?
Civilian

Post by Civilian »

2 words Ti Kerambit! :D
MAT :spyder: TER
Just-American
WTC#1511
"Hunt You Down All Nightmare Long!"
"Civilian Lovers appreciate nice curves" insp. by Dr. Snubnose
klattman

Post by klattman »

redline wrote:More slipjoint folders to follow the UK Penknife !!!
There's going to be a Danish version, but how about a G10/S30V Pride ???
I'm sure slipjoints are the way ahead, if you read the comments from Sal & others who've been using the penknife, they don't miss a locking blade, and with ever tightening knife laws this may be all you're allowed before long, so Spyderco could really steal a large part of the market.
If Spyderco makes more slipjoints, wouldn't they just be giving in to the idiocy that abounds? There are plenty of slippie manufacturers already. Spyderco is unique for their practical one-hand locking knives. :spyder: could probably market one or two good quality designs, but it would be tough to overcome the already full slippie market. Just some thoughts.
(I know I would miss alocking blade, esp. for cardboard and leather and materials that can bind the blade.)
JDEE

Para Manix!

Post by JDEE »

The Manix is a beautie but it is just too big for my smaller hands - how about a Manix with similar dimensions to the Para Military which is about as big as I want a folder to be. I had thought about a Moran Skinner with a "green river" style blade but I think that would be a bit esoteric - Spyderco has to sell 'em and they can't make knives to cater to all our whims.
Jdee
Have a Knife Day
rusticforge.com/knives Australia
Senate

Post by Senate »

I'm gonna say it again and people will respond that's not possible but an automatic from spyderco would be great! :o
RLR

Post by RLR »

More GOOD slipjoints with Premium steel. And that's purely selfish. I have all the bigger knives I need; I have plenty of small lockers; I own a few but don't use fixed all that much. That leaves a slipjoint - the perfect mail opener, general purpose blade. I want that.
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Bob T posted over on Bladeforums about a remake of the Starmate and a smaller version of it.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
severedthumbs

Post by severedthumbs »

A flipper of Johnny Liao design. :rolleyes:
Spidernoir

Post by Spidernoir »

A slighter larger Cricket, say 2.25 inch blade in carbon fiber. ****, I'd be happy if Spyderco would offer the current Cricket with carbon fiber scales.

~jeff
Jimmy_Dean

Post by Jimmy_Dean »

worth bringing it back:
a Spyderco straight razor.
I use of of those daily but a Spyderco one would make it a whole lot more enjoyable :)
-Dean
hubert05

Hubert05

Post by hubert05 »

I would like to see Spyderco manufacture a sheath knife that is similar to the Bud Nealy sold by Boker: i.e., one that can be worn in a number of positions in a sheath that allows an easy "pull."

This noted, I would recommend that Spyderco collaborate with Newt Livesay. By all appearances, he is a master craftsman, and has a website which would be an obvious asset in promoting the knife.
fret

Post by fret »

No matter what Spyderco makes it's bound to be a good one. I like the "unconventional" folders myself. Hmm...I like the Navigator. The Solo. The Standard. The Cricket. The Snapit. And more.
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

klattman wrote:If Spyderco makes more slipjoints, wouldn't they just be giving in to the idiocy that abounds? There are plenty of slippie manufacturers already. Spyderco is unique for their practical one-hand locking knives. :spyder: could probably market one or two good quality designs, but it would be tough to overcome the already full slippie market. Just some thoughts.
(I know I would miss alocking blade, esp. for cardboard and leather and materials that can bind the blade.)
Klattman,
Just put your hands if you can on a UK penknife. It is soooo much better than the Pride. You will be pleasantly surprised. I'm not saying that :spyder: should make a slipjoint version of each of its knives. Probably max 5 or 10 of the small to medium sized knives (Kiwi, Dodo, Salsa II come to mind) but with similar locking versions for those of us for whom it is legal. I bet they would be able to expand their market and give US collectors some interesting pieces to go after. I'd bet some of these would be really popular in the US market too. I mean, who else makes a high quality one-hand opening slip-joint. Very few out there.
To answer the question I am looking forward to the Kopa. Don't know that it is next. I also hope the C100 will be something special (like 25th Anniversary Delica or Worker Evolution special).
muppet

Making the "little big knife" concept work...

Post by muppet »

I'd love to see a Little Big Knife I could get behind. The Ladybug / Jester are awesome keychain knives, really the best you can buy, but it's a keychain knife, a jumped-up box cutter.

The Cricket is beautiful, but doesn't have big knife ergonomics... Meerkat is close but it's too much handle for too little blade, same problem as the Salsa.

There's some evolution going on, but so far the Little Big Knife is dragging it's knuckles a bit too much...

I'm not sure how to fix it - that's Spyderco's job, not mine! - but I think that some of the lessons learned should be:

* blade and handle size should be commensurate, so you're not holding a two inch blade on a four inch handle.
* small knives should not be too wide or too heavy

In Chicago, and Boston too I think, 2.5" is the legal limit for blade length. So I'd root for a 2.45" blade in a decent steel, FRN handles, standard clip, and an ergonomic/design miracle which finally deliverrs the Little Big Knife.
cvnhank

Post by cvnhank »

I'd go for a Bison with a Spyderedge(sp?). I wish that Sal would also coat the blade.