Sanding Blurple G10?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
carrot

Sanding Blurple G10?

Post by carrot »

I recently got a Blurple Para 2 and I love everything about it... except the hard edges of the scales. My old Para 2 was either beveled smoother or worn smooth from carry and I was thinking about sanding the G10 down.

Has anybody done this and have tips for me? I was looking at just getting some wet/dry sandpaper and smoothing out the edges by hand under the faucet or in a big bucket, since I know that G10 dust is bad.

Also, I'm wondering how the translucency of the blurple may be affected? I don't want to lose the cool translucent look!
abbazaba

Re: Sanding Blurple G10?

Post by abbazaba »

If you are looking to simply take the bite off the edges, very little material needs to be removed. I've found that a few light passes along the edge with 1500b sandpaper makes a big difference, usually without leaving any noticeable markings. Sanding dry has worked for me, with a damp rag to wipe clean. I've done this to many of my knives, most recently the G10 Caly3.
seamusshea

Post by seamusshea »

Depending on how much you want to take off I dont think the dust will be a problem. Just wet your sandpaper, no need to use running water or a bucket. Also if you use a high enough grit you won't ruin the translucency. Personally, I would start at 400 grit until you get the bevel thats comfortable for you then finish it off with 1000. You could go higher and give it a more polished look if you feel like it.
seber

Post by seber »

Speaking from total ignorance of the material characteristics, I would back your abrasive with a hard surface to avoid undercutting and an uneven finished edge.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It should sand like any other G10, I wouldn't expect the color the be effected at all, or if anything if you sand it to a higher polished finish it may be more translucent.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

It'll just look cooler. Do it like you said under running water. Show it to us after.
- best wishes, Jazz.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I've sanded the edges and corners of some of my g10 knives with 600 grit. I dry sand with a damp paper towel handy and just wipe down the sanded area every few passes.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

I completely polished up my Cat after a superglue mishap around the house.
I think the Blurple would look really spiffy done up the same way
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/