After carrying the UKPK...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wrathhog

After carrying the UKPK...

Post by Wrathhog »

for a few days I've determined that, 1)I really don't need a locking blade, and 2)It's really all the blade I need to accomplish my cutting needs 99.9% of the time.

Slipjoints aren't new to me as I used them for years, but having used modern folders so long, I've come to realize the two things that are basically a necessity to me are a pocket clip and one handed opening, a lock not so much. I've spent thousands on knives and enjoy every one of them and it's almost amazing to me that this little inconspicuous knife is really all I practically need, and I use my knife everyday. I'm not sure how it flew under my radar for so long. I guess I have to track down a g10 model now.
Liquid Cobra

Re: After carrying the UKPK...

Post by Liquid Cobra »

So much this!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
dreadpirate

Post by dreadpirate »

I came to similar conclusions with the K390 Urban. For the UKPK, I want the S110V version!!

However - I will still be keeping my locking folders. ;)
flatearth

Post by flatearth »

yesss, another convert!

spyderco slipjoints are absolutely fantastic for the day to day mundane tasks of opening mail, cutting paper, tape, strings, an apple... the list goes on
everyone should have at least one UKPK!

also, I find the TI UKPK to be the best feeling version so far, as in the click/clack being the most solid, VERY SATISFYING
but at the moment, I carry the S110V version :)
anycal

Post by anycal »

Speaking of...

Peter
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:So much this!
Yep!

Been digging the slip-joints for a while now. I still like my locking folders but not necessarily because they lock.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I have to agree. After carrying traditional slip joints much of my life, and then "discovering" Spyderco many years ago, I am very much a convert to the pocket clip and one hand opening, (so much easier than opening lockback knives prior to thumb studs or the "Flicket"). Still, I have never owned a UKPK, but lately have been thinking maybe I should see if I am missing anything.

The older I get the more I am finding that my little Chaparral takes care of me for a great deal of my cutting needs these days, and very likely the UKPK would do the same for me. A very interesting knife for sure. Perhaps a K-390, PMA11, or a Maxamet blade would make it irresistible to me.

Dave
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I had a bad start to Spyderco slip joints. I have a Byrd Tern that is dangerous as the blade has little retention in the open position. Then I got a squeak. The spring was also weak in it, but not as bad as the Tern. After that I got a Pingo. Perfection! This was such a happy affair that when the Urban LW K390 came out I had to have one. It is awesome. It hardly leaves my pocket, and when it does, it is only so I can admire it. The ULW is pretty much ideal (still hope for a lock version Caly2.6, but I will still carry my Urban).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

When I don't carry my beloved SE wharnie Delica4, I carry the Urban.It is perfect for city carry and I like it more than the UKPK.It's more compact and has a stronger spring.Don't feel the need for a lock in most cases.Love it !

Marius
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Lots of truth in the fact that most of us probably don't need locking knives for our daily uses. Once the UKPK spring was upgraded to the "tuning fork" with better retention, it became a knife I would use. I prefer the 2.5mm blade stock on FRN version to the G10 versions with 3mm stock. Once I'm at 3mm stock with G10, I'd rather have a G10 Caly 3 notwithstanding my comment above about locks not really being necessary in my world. In virtually identical knives with the option of lock vs no lock, I'd still take the lock even if I don't really need it.

The PITS and Terzoula Slipit are the other two non locking Spydies that get carried in my world.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The biggest reason I need a lock is any time I may need to really stab into something, then I'm just not comfortable with a slip joint. Fortunately that doesn't happen very often.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
carrot

Post by carrot »

The thing I like about the UKPK Lightweight is how easy it is to open and close. That soft backspring is ADDICTING. Unlocking a knife is not exactly hard, but it's one step you get to skip on the UKPK. And that makes it surprisingly fun for normal daily tasks like opening mail and cutting strings.

The fact that it is wicked light also makes it a killer EDC.
seber

Post by seber »

I would love to try a slip joint Spyderco. Unfortunately in my jungle like environment in East Texas I use my pocket knife for hacking on a regular basis so any knife with a finger choil is a non starter for me.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

I personally do really enjoy using the UKPK (FRN droppoint) and usually carry something bigger and locking as well, it's small and light enough anyway to carry it as a 2nd.
I have the droppoint in G10 but haven't even carried it since I got the FRN version, really prefer the size/weight.
Now hoping for more UKPK's in special steels, seems like a nice folding platform to try new things.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Love the new UKPK with the stronger spring and ffg blade. It's been hard to kick out of my pocket, even with plenty of locking alternatives I could carry instead.

I realized I could middle finger flick the blade open on my blue s110v pretty easily the other day. :)
:spyder:
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

Since getting my S110V UKPK I really haven't used any thing else!! It's pretty much perfect.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That's one thing the UKPK accomplished since its introduction; showing a lot of knifeknuts that you're not giving up much with a slipit. The S110V version is amazing. Apart from the steel it shows a lot of overall production improvement since the first FRN slipits were introduced.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
Donut

Post by Donut »

Don't forget about the Squeak, Pingo, and Urban (k390).
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

After getting UKPK s110v, I like it so much that I got Urban k390. It smaller and has better detent on both 90-deg and fully opened. But only drawback is it’s weight which is heavier than UKPK.
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti
spy4life

Post by spy4life »

And yes, I’m looking forward to slip joint version of little native ;)
~spy4life~

Collections: GB1, GB2, Dice, Urban-K390, Positron-S35VN, Sliverax, Southard brown&blk, CS Native 5 S90V, KW Military S90V Carbon/Ti