Pre 2005 Spyderco Models For Sprint Runs? Most Desired? Most Needed?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Pre 2005 Spyderco Models For Sprint Runs? Most Desired? Most Needed?

Post by JD Spydo »

This is for any Spyderco knife ( fixed blade or folder) made before the year 2005 which you all might want to see return in a beefed up, jazzed up Sprint Run. Yes I'm an old school fanatic when it comes to Spyderco's knives from that era. Mainly because there are so many models from that time period that if they were equipped with newer/better blade steels and updated handle materials. You can go back as far as you want>> yeah even all the way back to the original C-01 Worker if you like>> actually I would love to see a Super High Tech version of the Worker myself.

The main models I would like to see return in a Sprint Run with updated materials are as follows: In the fixed blade category I would love to see the TEMPERANCE 1 model in either XHP, VG-10 or HAP-40 in both plain edge and Spyderedge. Another fixed blade from that era I would love to see would be the original RONIN model with M390.

In the folder category I would love to see the C-60 Ayoob model with Carbon Fiber handle along with one of the newer/better Japanese steels. Last but in no way "least" I feel the RENEGADE model never got the respect that it so richly deserved. I would love to see a RENEGADE with a Carbon Fiber or G-10 handle with either M390 or M-4 blade steel. OK which Pre-2005 Spyderco model do you want in a Sprint Run. Also which ideal materials would you like to see it made from. You can also tell us if you want Spyderedge or plain edge or both if you like. OK let's talk pre-2005 models to be resurrected :cool:
bearfacedkiller

Re: Pre 2005 Spyderco Models For Sprint Runs? Most Desired? Most Needed?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

R model with G10 and a fancy steel. The latest R sprint is great and I enjoy carrying it but the nishijin and VG10 make it more of a classy carry than a work knife for me. G10 and ZDP or HAP40 would make me very happy. K390 would be outstanding too if there is a bunch of that sitting over there. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bearfacedkiller wrote:R model with G10 and a fancy steel. The latest R sprint is great and I enjoy carrying it but the nishijin and VG10 make it more of a classy carry than a work knife for me. G10 and ZDP or HAP40 would make me very happy. K390 would be outstanding too if there is a bunch of that sitting over there. :)
Oh I could go along with that model for sure>> however I would have to insist on the original skeletonized blade version>> because the solid blade version wasn't even available until 2008 or thereabout from what I remember. I've always been fascinated with the original skeletonized versions>> and to have the original skeletonized handle with titanium. It was an extremely unique Spyderco folder from that time period and it was ten times the knife that the original Q model was IMO.

Yeah I like that suggestion >> I would also love to see a skeletonized fixed blade of some sort too. Like maybe a skeletonized version of the TEmP 1.
PineChaos

Post by PineChaos »

Would love to see a C69GP2 Lil Temperance Trailing Point in any steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

PineChaos wrote:Would love to see a C69GP2 Lil Temperance Trailing Point in any steel.
If you mean the RHINO Horn version of the LIL T then I'll give you a big high five on that one. I sold the only one I had left about 5 years ago and I've deeply regretted it ever since :(

Also I really loved the "leaf blade" version in full SE. It was a beast in SE. My very good buddy Archimedes will back me up on that one>> he was even a lot more of a fanatic about the Lil T than I was and I'm sure he would like to see both versions return. Great suggestions so far.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ayoob and I'm not sure if it fits the year criteria but Vesuvius. I just really want a new Centofante knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:Ayoob and I'm not sure if it fits the year criteria but Vesuvius. I just really want a new Centofante knife.
Yeah EVIL they are both from that time period. The Vesuvius was a GOLDEN CO made Spyder during the ATS-34 era and it''s one of the most obscure models I ever owned. Most definitely the C-60 Ayoob just has to have another run. Everyone I've let use any of my Ayoob models have all fallen in love with them.

Yeah I've wondered what a Vesuvius would be like with updated, newer materials. I bet a Vesuvius with an M-4 blade and an anodized titanium handle would be super.

Also the Vesuvius would be a perfect Sprint Run because they are virtually impossible to find anymore. I haven't even been offered one in a trade for at least 6 years or better. They weren't very plentiful even back around 04 or 05 when you could get one.

Also the Ayoob is getting to be a really tough find>> especially the Spyderedge version.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Definitely the Ayoob. It gets brought up so often, I'm really surprised it hasn't been brought back yet.

For my personal-probably-won't-happen-in-a-million-years choice, the Spur
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

My votes would be for either the C25 Centofante Jr. with the aluminum handles and rubber inserts (I loved the FFG that was offered in PE or SE), or the C17 Catcherman . Either of these brought back with modern steels and handles would be very pleasing to me, not to mention they should sell like hotcakes. I still stand by my statement from a few threads back, we need a C52 Caly Jr. to be brought back. I would prefer Machined (linerless) G-10 or (linerless) FRN. Keep the spirit the same as the original. Swedge, no jimping, fish scale texturing, gold bug in the blade and on the clip. What do you think JD?

Still carrying mine
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I was going to say the Kris, but that didn't land until 2006. So I'd have to go with the C83 Persian. The G-10 Persian 2 was just too plain, with the flat, boring black G-10 scales. The Persian deserves some class with premium materials. Give it a higher end steel (HAP40, Super Blue, Damascus) and make sure it has bolsters. I think brass bolsters and wood (or Pakkawood) handles would look nice.

The skeletonized R you mentioned would interest me as well, as it's a very unique look that really stands out. It may not be quite as practical as a pure cutting instrument, but that's what my other pile of knives is for. ;) My first Spyderco was the Q, mostly due to the cool blade on it, so I think it would be fun to see a Q² with a more modern handle design (not necessarily skeletonized), but keeping the same concept with the blade where there is a base cutout design, and then companies can order their own custom blade cutouts. Keep it simple and low cost, with a basic FRN handle.

M4 Vesuvius you also mentioned would be fantastic. I'm a big fan of my Centofante 3 and wouldn't mind having a similar knife with a compression lock.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

My vote would actually be for a "Q". I've always been fascinated by this knife but the handle breaks if you look at it wrong. More of a novelty I understand though. With better steel and handle I'd be in for sure. Wouldn't even mind seeing the whole thing DLC coated.

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

C15 Terzuola
C66 Vesuvius

More a Flash Batch than a Sprint but I'd be all over a lil' JD Smith - 3.2 inch blade with smooth G10.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Calypso Jr.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote: Image

Still carrying mine
Man that really is one of the most beautiful knives ever made. I'm not sure which I would pick between that and the newer generations as far as ergonomics go, but the lines of the original are timeless and I LOVE the scale texture. I know the bidirectional stuff may be superior in grip, but Spyderco have had some really iconic scale designs over the years and if nothing else (sprint revivals aside) I think it would be really awesome if there was a "heritage series" where modern knives were given older style scales and such like this. I would also lose my mind to have that pattern machined into G10.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Linerless full-sized Calypso
Jumpin'Spyder

Post by Jumpin'Spyder »

Evil D wrote:
xceptnl wrote: Image

Still carrying mine
Man that really is one of the most beautiful knives ever made. I'm not sure which I would pick between that and the newer generations as far as ergonomics go, but the lines of the original are timeless and I LOVE the scale texture. I know the bidirectional stuff may be superior in grip, but Spyderco have had some really iconic scale designs over the years and if nothing else (sprint revivals aside) I think it would be really awesome if there was a "heritage series" where modern knives were given older style scales and such like this. I would also lose my mind to have that pattern machined into G10.
I completely agree with you! Pity that I've never seen it live, but if it will come out again one of those scale pattern...WOW I would jump on it :D
vivi

Post by vivi »

Full sized Calypso. I'd take green G10 and CTS204P if I could be picky.
:unicorn
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

Now that I've seen it, I wish the Salt series had come with that same fish scale pattern - how awesome would that be?
Ignaz

Post by Ignaz »

krikun98 wrote:Linerless full-sized Calypso
This. And the Calypso Jr. in FRN or with metal handle (stainless steel or titanium) with flush pins and some nice japanese steel.
I'm glad to see that there seemingly is quite some interest in the Calypsos recently and hope to see another sprint run. They are excellent slicers, lightweight, good looking too, so I like them a lot and interestingly prefer them to the Caly's and UKPK (don't like the ergos).
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Northglenn500 wrote:Now that I've seen it, I wish the Salt series had come with that same fish scale pattern - how awesome would that be?
Just goes to show, every thread is better with pics. :D
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*