Best steel for sharp edges

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
chuck_roxas45

Re: Best steel for sharp edges

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Any steel can be made as sharp as any other with the right tools. Sharpness being defined as width of apex. The differences will be how fast(easy) it will be to get there. Second difference is the kind of edge you will have. Aggressiveness is often used to describe this quality. For example comparing VG10 to 8Cr13MOV. On a level of sharpness of around hair whittling, a trained thumb or finger can easily discern the difference in aggressiveness. The 3 finger test or something similar is a good way to tell. And the final difference for me is how long that fine edge lasts in use. Take S30V vs. 52100. At the same hair whittling level of sharpness, s30v seems to lose that edge quite a bit faster than tool steels or carbon steels.

But then again, this is just my opinion. :)
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Tucson Tom wrote: One terrible thing is that an Edge Pro (or similar setup) is moving onto the top of my list of things to spend money on. Maybe when the calendar rolls over to October and a new paycheck arrives I will decide whether to dive in.
I totally agree that the decision is not to be taken lightly. Here's something to consider.
Would you be interested in trying out the Edge Pro first before making your choice in purchasing a sharpening system?

My good friend Trapper Jon Carpenter, (who happens to own the best little knife shop in the Southwest, right here in Sierra Vista), and I get together for breakfast at 8:00 am every Saturday morning before he opens the shop for Saturday business. We would like to invite you to join us some Saturday, talk knives and enjoy a breakfast. Then come to my house afterwards and we will set up the Edge Pro so you can give it a good try. All you have to do is bring yourself and a knife to sharpen. That way you can really know if this system is right for you and no obligation in any way.

While you're here you might want to drop by Jon's shop, but that's just another option.
Trapper Jon and I would enjoy meeting you so the invitation is offered, anytime. :)

Dave
vivi

Post by vivi »

me2 wrote:For those taking the position that all steels can get equally sharp, how are you measuring sharpness?
Whittling hairs, squiggly push cuts on receipt paper, how well it pops off stubble with minimal skin contact, whether it will catch hair above the skin in either direction. Stuff like that.
:unicorn
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Tucson Tom wrote:
One terrible thing is that an Edge Pro (or similar setup) is moving onto the top of my list of things to spend money on. Maybe when the calendar rolls over to October and a new paycheck arrives I will decide whether to dive in.

I sharpened freehand for decades with no complaints, starting with Arkansas stones and oil, eventually progressing to a mix of diamonds and Japanese water stones (both synthetic and natural). Then I got hooked in to Spyderco and fell down the rabbit hole that is modern steel choices... Suddenly my techniques that had served well on high carbon and AUS8 were delivering lackluster results, after some coaching on the requirements of higher carbide steels I got better results, part of this was due to finishing on ceramics (SM and Spydie bench stones).

Then i decided to go for a jig system, the one I chose was the Hapstone, but there are lots of good choices, an angle guided system *really* makes sharpening more demanding steels quicker and easier, the discipline it takes to arrive at a great edge by freehand sharpening is a solid level above what many of us are willing to commit to. As good as the guided systems are, the stones used on them are just as important: my choice is the Edge Pro compatible "bonded diamond" series from Gritomatic, IMO they offer an unbeatable mix of quick stock removal, clean grit pattern, long wear and a full selection of grits, as well as a pretty reasonable price for what you get... not that various other diamond or silicon carbide stones aren't good performers, but I hate flattening thin stones (wear off the stone that isn't sharpening a knife!) and losing the abrasive plating off the edges of conventional diamond hones.

In short, take the generous offer of an Edge Pro demo, then buy one, it's money well spent!

P.S. buy an "angle cube" too, it seems a bit OCD, but will make it easier to confirm true edge angle and to match angles when re-sharpning.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
SGJarrod

Post by SGJarrod »

awa54 wrote:
In short, take the generous offer of an Edge Pro demo, then buy one, it's money well spent!

P.S. buy an "angle cube" too, it seems a bit OCD, but will make it easier to confirm true edge angle and to match angles when re-sharpning.
^This

Don't be afraid to think outside the box either. I buy thin planks of balsa from my local hobby store. 36"x2" for a little over $2. I cut it into 4"x1" strips for my KME and I have very effective and affordable strops. Put diamond compound on it, use it and when it's loaded just throw it away. The angle cube is a great tool to make sure u have the right angle when going from stone to strop.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:
Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, nothing compares to VG-10 for a terrific performing, daily use steel.

Apparently LC200N is vying for that title.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Evil D wrote:
xceptnl wrote:
Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, nothing compares to VG-10 for a terrific performing, daily use steel.

I will gather my own data once I can get my hands on some LC200N. The mules are still available right?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

xceptnl wrote:
Evil D wrote:
xceptnl wrote:

I will gather my own data once I can get my hands on some LC200N. The mules are still available right?
Hmm that's a good question I'm not sure. I'm waiting for the Caribbean but my hopes are high.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

El Gato wrote:
Tucson Tom wrote: One terrible thing is that an Edge Pro (or similar setup) is moving onto the top of my list of things to spend money on. Maybe when the calendar rolls over to October and a new paycheck arrives I will decide whether to dive in.
I totally agree that the decision is not to be taken lightly. Here's something to consider.
Would you be interested in trying out the Edge Pro first before making your choice in purchasing a sharpening system?

My good friend Trapper Jon Carpenter, (who happens to own the best little knife shop in the Southwest, right here in Sierra Vista), and I get together for breakfast at 8:00 am every Saturday morning before he opens the shop for Saturday business. We would like to invite you to join us some Saturday, talk knives and enjoy a breakfast. Then come to my house afterwards and we will set up the Edge Pro so you can give it a good try. All you have to do is bring yourself and a knife to sharpen. That way you can really know if this system is right for you and no obligation in any way.

While you're here you might want to drop by Jon's shop, but that's just another option.
Trapper Jon and I would enjoy meeting you so the invitation is offered, anytime. :)

Dave
That is a heck of an invite, and I am eager to take you up on it. Sent you an email.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Tucson Tom wrote:
El Gato wrote:

Dave
That is a heck of an invite, and I am eager to take you up on it. Sent you an email.
Email received and reply sent. Good times ahead! ;)

Dave