Calling all Canadians - Canadian knife discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Calling all Canadians - Canadian knife discussion

Post by sal »

Well it certainly is an interesting discussion. You just need to think harder ;)

sal
Sharpie

Post by Sharpie »

OK, here’s the iconic Canadian Spyderco (tongue planted firmly in cheek):

The knife will be named the “Spyderco Eh” (pronounced like a long A). The handle will be shaped and textured like a beaver tail. The blade will be shaped like a hockey stick with the following features:
  1. Unique serrations optimized for cutting back bacon.
  2. Beer bottle opener integrated into choil.
  3. Ice pick integrated into tip.
  4. Roach clip integrated… well, somewhere.
Free toque and Tim Hortons gift card with every purchase.

Done!
dc50

Post by dc50 »

I would be more than pleased with a Caly 3 with red G10 handles and a small Maple leaf on the blade.
Steel possibly super blue.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Sharpie,

Welcome to our forum.

Thought to share; On our Australian knife, the designer was an Aussie and we're going to try to use a name unique to Australia.

Mounties. Ice sculptures, Maple leafs, bi-lingual, Formula 1 race, St. Lawrence, it's "abote" you guys eh?

While I was working the Toronto Hone show pitching sharpeners circa 1980, one of my neighbors asked me if I had a green card? I said, "what's a green cared"? He said,"when you see the suits, make sure to use the words abote and eh on your pitch. I did and it worked. :D

sal
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

I would be happy with a leaf blade UKPK in orange G10 again, I deeply love mine.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Coming up with a name seems a lot easier than the knife design. :confused:

Only east coasters talk funny like that. No one can understand Newfies. From Manitoba west, we speak quite normal (though I'm told I mumble). ;)
- best wishes, Jazz.
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

Maybe a locking UKPK is the way to go, seeing as we are a member of the commonwealth an offshoot of the British knife might be appropriate and the lock would represent our more lenient knife laws. We could put red scales or a maple leaf on it and find a name that represents Canada. Gentlemanly and polite, but rugged enough to do some work.

Sounds good, but maybe it's just me trying to justify a locking UKPK or LW Caly3 ;)
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Slumblor wrote:Maybe a locking UKPK is the way to go, seeing as we are a member of the commonwealth an offshoot of the British knife might be appropriate and the lock would represent our more lenient knife laws. We could put red scales or a maple leaf on it and find a name that represents Canada. Gentlemanly and polite, but rugged enough to do some work.

Sounds good, but maybe it's just me trying to justify a locking UKPK or LW Caly3 ;)
Honestly, I would love that in FRN. It sounds aboot right.

How about "CPK", or "Province"?
- best wishes, Jazz.
RLR

Post by RLR »

I like that idea too. UKPK lock with... red/white zome!

The Spyderco “Remembrance” or “150” if launched this year ;)
dc50

Post by dc50 »

RLR wrote:I like that idea too. UKPK lock with... red/white zome!

The Spyderco “Remembrance” or “150” if launched this year ;)
I like the name Spyderco "150" as well good one !
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I kinda like the simple CPK. Province is cool and sounds distinguished, but not exclusively Canadian. Also, no chance this is going to happen in the next 3 months, so 150 doesn't really work, I think it should be something more generally Canadian too. Canuck?
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like either Canuck or CPK.
- best wishes, Jazz.
sal

Post by sal »

A locking UK is a Caly 3. Certainly not an impossibility at this time. The Caly 3 sprint in an improvement.

We've got a Caly 3.5 FRN model on the drawing board.

sal
dc50

Post by dc50 »

Thanks Sal, sounds great either one! its abote to get exciting for the Canuck's
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

sal wrote:A locking UK is a Caly 3. Certainly not an impossibility at this time. The Caly 3 sprint in an improvement.

We've got a Caly 3.5 FRN model on the drawing board.

sal
Very interesting indeed to hear. I would absolutely love to see a FRN Caly 3, not an impossibility?
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I like the brain storming but I guess I feel compelled to ask what makes the sketches above Canadian? It's an interesting design, and I do like it, but it's just another knife really. Slapping a maple leaf on it doesn't make it Canadian. I feel like the Nirvana is closer to a Canadian knife since it was designed by Peter Rassenti, a Canadian, and is an original design that he makes and sells himself in Canada.

All that said, I've been thinking about this thread a lot and I have been unable to come up with something that feels like a Canadian knife idea. Maybe there isn't one?

When I think of the ukpk, the spydk or the Pingo, I see them as wonderful solutions to a countries knife restrictions that give the people living there a capable tool that is tailor made to fit those restrictions. The knives are so great that people living in places without those restrictions buy them. Canada has knife restrictions, but they are similar to many states in the U.S. so there really isn't a need for a knife that differs dramatically from U.S.A blades.

The biggest issue I see here in Canada with regards to knives is centrifugal force and the border agents interpretations of what qualifies as centrifugal force. Perhaps a knife that is impossible to open with any form of centrifugal force would be the ultimate Canadian knife. Something that under no circumstances could be seized upon import to Canada. But is the solution to that just a fixed blade? I don't know. Maybe we come up with a modern take on the fixed blade that makes it easier to carry so that it can serve as a true EDC.

Alternatively I would be interested in a knife that pushed the limit and walked the edge of what's considered legal here in Canada. Maybe a new take on the balisong sort of like the janisong, something that opens in a new way. I don't know what that would look like, but I like the idea.

These are just my thoughts and I in no way mean to step on any toes here. Sorry :o (see what I did there?).
Ok, yes I’m quoting myself. Tacky. I know. But with the recent CBSA ruling it seems my post from September of last year is ringing very true.

Perhaps Sal, you could take a crack at a knife design like I mentioned above. Something that in no way would ever be seized at the border. Because we have no length limits, it could be freaking huge unlike the slipits from the UK or Denmark. Maybe a two handed opener, or something that can’t be opened with centrifugal force even after you over come the detent or what ever keeps it closed. We know CBSA likes to open knives half way and then swing them open. :rolleyes:

Sounds like a tough nut to crack. But if it were made with something like g10, was big, extremely useful, it could be a successful knife, not just here but in other countries as well. And yeah, maybe it should be red.

What do you think?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

So as I understand everything i have read, a UKPK with a lock (or a Caly with a strong lockbar spring & halfstop) could circumvent the current debacle you Northern Brothers face? It seems like a simple solution to a ridiculous problem. For the record i like the simplicity of the names CPK or Province.

Would this design hold up to subjective scrutiny of the CB officials?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
crazywednesday

Post by crazywednesday »

Jazz wrote:If Sal were to make a Canadian knife, what would you think or like it to be? Let's start discussing it.

I don't know what model it would be, but how about red with a small maple leaf carved in the handle? I'm thinking a 3" blade.
The new Canadian knife would be 1.25" blade length, 4" handle, spyder hole 0.125" diameter, and require pliers to open. All joking aside; I feel for you up there. I visit Alberta frequently and have lots of family there. Im going to have to be very careful about knife selection crossing the boarder. Luv you guys and gals up north.
Justin
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

xceptnl wrote:So as I understand everything i have read, a UKPK with a lock (or a Caly with a strong lockbar spring & halfstop) could circumvent the current debacle you Northern Brothers face? It seems like a simple solution to a ridiculous problem. For the record i like the simplicity of the names CPK or Province.

Would this design hold up to subjective scrutiny of the CB officials?
No. A backlock can be swung open with centrifugal force. Especially after you open them half way like the CBSA likes to do.
Last edited by Liquid Cobra on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
sal

Post by sal »

Looks like this will change the design for a "canuk" model? We've had a number of "go-arounds" with the crown and laws. We even built a machine that measured the force to open a knife so we could build to a rule. They weren't interested. I think it's law enforcement that is concerned about the "flick factor" being able to produce a "deadly" blade from a knife hidden in a closed hand.

We tried to work our a solution for Germany with their knife laws, but the ideas I had didn't take and the ideas presented wouldn't work. eg; imagine a large two hand open "Roadie".

sal