Flashlight apps = spyware

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Flashlight apps = spyware

Post by Doc Dan »

I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Re: Flashlight apps = spyware

Post by The Deacon »

Yet another reason for me to be happy I don't use a cell phone.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

The Deacon wrote:Yet another reason for me to be happy I don't use a cell phone.
Smart phones are currently smarter than most of their users. It always surprises me when people are surprised by this kind of thing.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This is basic fear mongering. Internet security and identity theft is a real threat but this is chicken little bs. Seriously, spyware worse than Ebola? Comparing this to a disease that makes you die a painful death due to internal bleeding through the separation of the layers of blood vessels, mainly capillaries, is weak. A blatant attempt to prey on people's fears.

That story is already two years old and i am no more worried about it now than I was then. They based the whole story on the terms of service of the apps. Also, they sell security apps for cellphones so fear mongering is marketing for them. That is what this is really about in my opinion.

Who downloads a flashlight app? Android and iOS come with one built in. Those do not contain spyware even if that misleading "news" piece showed people clicking on the built in iOS flashlight. They lose credibility right there for talking about the top ten downloaded apps and then showing the built in app being used.

We are all responsible for our own safety and security and I encourage anybody to do whatever gives them peace of mind. I personally am not losing any sleep over this one. This is just my opinion. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Meanwhile that site wants me to download their app, which in certain is squeaky clean.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

A lot of apps are problematic. One has to be careful what is downloaded to a smartphone just as well as a computer. Basically, a smartphone is a small computer and they can get malware, spyware, and viruses.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

You should be running a decent antivirus/anti-malware on your cell either way. I like Trend Micro.
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

bearfacedkiller wrote: Who downloads a flashlight app? Android and iOS come with one built in. Those do not contain spyware even if that misleading "news" piece showed people clicking on the built in iOS flashlight. They lose credibility right there for talking about the top ten downloaded apps and then showing the built in app being used.
On my HTC Android (M10 One) it's hard coded into the phone on the drop down menu that you can't change- so not even an app as such; it's the same type of setting as screen brightness and ringer volume

I too cannot think of a reason to download a flashlight app.....but then again I can't think of a reason to buy homeopathic 'medicine' and there's a right old market for that bobbins ;)
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

A lot of older gen phones didn't have a flashlight app, and the LED light was strictly for flash. Those apps exist because they gave the flashlight functionality, but I'd imagine their downloads have slowed quite a bit as makers are catching on and giving the flashlight option.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

It feels like android and IOS have had this feature built into the operating system for a few years now. You shouldn't have to install software for it.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Evil D wrote:A lot of older gen phones didn't have a flashlight app, and the LED light was strictly for flash. Those apps exist because they gave the flashlight functionality, but I'd imagine their downloads have slowed quite a bit as makers are catching on and giving the flashlight option.
Right. And this was exactly what these thieves were capitalizing on. My current phone has a flashlight build in. But the ones I had previously did not.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

That's why I regularly use my smart phone when I'm naked. If they keep looking, I'm guessing someone in the government is a pervert. :D
standy99

Post by standy99 »

You want scary, read the conditions for taptalk
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

SolidState wrote: Smart phones are currently smarter than most of their users. It always surprises me when people are surprised by this kind of thing.
Or by people who think that free apps are free.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Anyone here still using Kaspersky Lab? Putin thanks you.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is easy for people to fear what they don’t understand.

I have consulted with people to help them with their computers, devices and software (I have been in the “IT” business for fifty-three years and retired from IBM) who believe the strangest things. A number of my clients have tape or Post-It notes covering the camera on their laptops because they think “someone”, probably the “government” or evil hackers are watching them. No. Just, no. And who would want to stare at someone's face for hours?

Malware on iOS systems is basically non-existent. Now, if you are an unfortunate Windows victim, it is a different story.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

I'm still using a clam phone. :eek:
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

MichaelScott wrote:It is easy for people to fear what they don’t understand.

I have consulted with people to help them with their computers, devices and software (I have been in the “IT” business for fifty-three years and retired from IBM) who believe the strangest things. A number of my clients have tape or Post-It notes covering the camera on their laptops because they think “someone”, probably the “government” or evil hackers are watching them. No. Just, no. And who would want to stare at someone's face for hours?

Malware on iOS systems is basically non-existent. Now, if you are an unfortunate Windows victim, it is a different story.
Remind me not to utilize your services for anything remotely modern involving programming or spyware.
https://wikileaks.org/ciav7p1/