Baking Soda

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Baking Soda

Post by Doc Dan »

Baking soda (NaHCO3) is pretty amazing stuff. Do any of you use it for anything besides deodorizing your refrigerator?

I have found out that it makes a great metal polish all by itself. If it is a stainless a bit of vinegar or lemon mixed in the baking soda really brightens up the metal. For carbon steel, of course you do not want to use the vinegar or lemon as it will patina the metal. But the baking soda will clean it really well. (I have tried cleaning a burnt pan with it but found Coca Cola works better).

It will clean silverware really easily, in about 30 seconds, if you put the silver into an aluminum turkey basting pan, add the backing soda and a bit of vinegar. It will clean the darkened details out of the filigree though, so you have to be aware of that.

It is also great to brush your teeth with. It will clean and whiten teeth better than toothpaste. Plus, if you also brush your tongue, your mouth will not taste like the bottom of a bird cage in the morning and your breath will not smell like a pile of dog stuff.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
farnorthdan

Re: Baking Soda

Post by farnorthdan »

Also mix with water and use to clean battery terminals on your vehicle.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like to cook and some of that involves baking. I use it regularly like that. Yesterday was apple crisp and I put it in the topping which is an oat based topping for added texture. Yummy! I have made my third 9x13 pan of apple crisp this month. I have a decent sized apple tree in the yard.

It is also put it my super fluffy pancake recipe which everybody seems to like, a lot. It sounds crazy but I mix 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar with 3/4 cup of whole milk and let it sour for ten minutes. I mix up the dry parts which have baking soda and baking powder in them. You mix the wet, the dry and an egg together and you get a bubbly fluffy batter that makes awesome pancakes. Yeah!!!! Chemistry in the kitchen!!!!

We did cloth diapers and I used in the wash.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

bearfacedkiller wrote:I like to cook and some of that involves baking. I use it regularly like that. Yesterday was apple crisp and I put it in the topping which is an oat based topping for added texture. Yummy! I have made my third 9x13 pan of apple crisp this month. I have a decent sized apple tree in the yard.

It is also put it my super fluffy pancake recipe which everybody seems to like, a lot. It sounds crazy but I mix 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar with 3/4 cup of whole milk and let it sour for ten minutes. I mix up the dry parts which have baking soda and baking powder in them. You mix the wet, the dry and an egg together and you get a bubbly fluffy batter that makes awesome pancakes. Yeah!!!! Chemistry in the kitchen!!!!

We did cloth diapers and I used in the wash.
We love breakfast pancakes in this household - I will be trying your recipe tip for certain!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here ya go! I have been following this recipe for years.

I usually use 1/2 cup of white flour and 1/2 cup of wheat flour instead of the 1 cup of white per the recipe.
I also use unfiltered apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
I usually add some extract. Vanilla if I put strawberries or bananas in them and almond if I put blueberries in them. That is optional though.
I live in the heart of maple syrup country so the only toppings mine get are butter and local syrup.
These are just my tweaks to it. The recipe is solid either way. Enjoy!!!!

Here is the recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162760/flu ... rdslot%202

Here is the condensed printer friendly page. It is not bogged down with ads and reviews and stuff.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162760/flu ... tric=false
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Like others here, I use it for baking and pancakes. Also use a paste of it, mixed with water, as a mild abrasive for polishing clear plastic. When I was building R/C models I used it as a combination filler/hardener for cyanoacrylate cement.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Deacon wrote:Like others here, I use it for baking and pancakes. Also use a paste of it, mixed with water, as a mild abrasive for polishing clear plastic. When I was building R/C models I used it as a combination filler/hardener for cyanoacrylate cement.
How would that work on headlights?
- best wishes, Jazz.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Here ya go! I have been following this recipe for years.

I usually use 1/2 cup of white flour and 1/2 cup of wheat flour instead of the 1 cup of white per the recipe.
I also use unfiltered apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar.
I usually add some extract. Vanilla if I put strawberries or bananas in them and almond if I put blueberries in them. That is optional though.
I live in the heart of maple syrup country so the only toppings mine get are butter and local syrup.
These are just my tweaks to it. The recipe is solid either way. Enjoy!!!!

Here is the recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162760/flu ... rdslot%202

Here is the condensed printer friendly page. It is not bogged down with ads and reviews and stuff.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/162760/flu ... tric=false
Thanks, will have to try this. We've got several jugs of maple syrup from out trip to Maine. Probably next week when things get more back to normal.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

using it on clear plastic is something I had never thought of. Good tip.

You can put baking soda on irritated skin and it helps the skin heal. Some of these dishwashing soaps break out my hands. A solution of baking soda and water to wash my hands with really makes a difference (so, too, does potassium permanganate).

1/2 a teaspoon in 1/2 a cup of water will take care of any heartburn, really quickly.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Iole

Post by Iole »

I just learned that baking soda will help super glue cure quicker and be used to build up broken parts. Check Youtube for methods.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Iole wrote:I just learned that baking soda will help super glue cure quicker and be used to build up broken parts. Check Youtube for methods.
Yep. It can be used to cure glue, specifically cyanoacrylate almost instantly. It also makes a great filler when used with cyanoacrylate for small gaps in plastic, glass, or ceramic.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Really? I did not know that! I will have to try baking soda and super glue. I wonder if it will work with wallpaper glue for repairs?

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Doc Dan wrote:Really? I did not know that! I will have to try baking soda and super glue. I wonder if it will work with wallpaper glue for repairs?
No idea. I think it just works with cyanoacrylate. It sets really fast too. Maybe just a few seconds.
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Our family has used it for decades to brush our teeth.
Myg30

Post by Myg30 »

To much to often will ware the enamel off your teeth.
If you have High Blood pressure you might want to curtail the frequent use of baking soda.
A pinch in glass of water good for heartburn, indigestion. SEE ABOVE first
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You can use it with vinegar to clear a slow drain.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I use a spray bottle of concentrated solution as shampoo. I am a very oily person, and it turns my skin oils into soap. It's a really nice human degreaser.
JD Spydo

Charlie Manson's Baking Soda & Vinegar

Post by JD Spydo »

I've sworn by Baking Soda & Vinegar both for useful household cheaning agents and both are useful for a plethora of different household duties. However on a lighter,funnier side I discovered something that really blew me away when I was doing my research on the Charles Manson Family. Charlie has a website called "Manson Direct" and he has all kinds of cleaning tips on his website. He has about 500 different household cleaning tips with Baking Soda and Vinegar both.

I just stumbled onto that bit of information by accident. Apparently he's been a big time environmentalist for many years and he says that commercial cleaning chemicals are going to completely ruin the planet :rolleyes: Talk about twisted irony :eek: But I did find it rather curious needless to say. His whole mission was supposedly about saving the planet :rolleyes: I don't know who maintains his website but it has a huge amount of hits per years and he still gets tons of mail monthly :rolleyes:

It's really ironic also when I discovered that Hitler and other despots were also big time environmentalists too. Well the old cliche "The Truth Is Stranger Than Fiction" is absolutely correct. I do hope that they never let Charlie or any of his family direct access to the internet :rolleyes: GOD Forbid!! :eek:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps baking soda can clean away Manson, too!

That is pretty weird. Since there is no cure for people like him (apart from an exorcism) this is all an attempt to make him look like he has changed and should be let out of prison.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:Perhaps baking soda can clean away Manson, too!

That is pretty weird. Since there is no cure for people like him (apart from an exorcism) this is all an attempt to make him look like he has changed and should be let out of prison.
Oh please Doc-Dan I'm in no way saying anything positive or trying to say anything to help Charles Manson's cause> nor was I in any way trying to derail your most interesting thread. I just thought it was a very ironic coincidence that a truly demon posessed individual would be concerned about household cleaning tips :confused: Especially with the uses of baking soda and vinegar :confused: My research on the Charles Manson family was simply a project I took on a few years back to try to ascertain what makes monsters like him and his followers the way they are.

No I was just making an attempt at some very ironic humor or sorts and I do think it's a truly very strange that Charles Manson has household cleaning tips on his website. Someone he knows maintains it because he is not allowed access to the internet where he's locked up at. No I was not making any attempt to generate sympathy for him or anyone like him. Sorry if I was misunderstood :o