Is a G10 Maxamet Manix 2 in the plans?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Is a G10 Maxamet Manix 2 in the plans?

Post by twinboysdad »

Just curious, since there are some Maxamet G10's in other models dropping
twinboysdad

Re: Is a G10 Maxamet Manix 2 in the plans?

Post by twinboysdad »

Nothing? I assumed there was a few "the LW is too fragile" folks
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The plan is to do the core Golden lineup in Maxamet just like with S110V. So yes, I think a G10 version is in the works.

In my opinion the frn is not fragile but I use my knives as knives. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MMGRenovations

Post by MMGRenovations »

I'm still holding out for the g10 version. While I don't think it's fragile, I think frn has too much flex in it. I like my knives to feel rock solid so I enjoy the liners in the g10 version. Although if they made a lw carbon fiber model I would buy that.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Sure would like the backlock Manix 2 if I had a preference
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I may be tempted into getting this in G10 or the back lock version. I'm pretty content with my Manix 2 but if Maxamet came in G10 so it's easily swappable I may have to give that a try, and I'm holding out on the back lock for a different steel.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I certainly hope we will see a Manix 2 in G-10 with liners, and stone finished Maxamet blade of .125" thickness. I like the LW version well enough but I would prefer the G-10 with liners. I hope we might see this in either a Sprint Run or a Dealer Special, if not as a catalog item.

The .145" thick blade of the back lock version does not interest me in the least, but I would buy the back lock if the blade was .125" thickness and in Maxamet. I would also like to see the Manix 2 XL offered in G-10 with liners, and a stone finished Maxamet blade in .125" thickness.

Dave
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

El Gato wrote:I certainly hope we will see a Manix 2 in G-10 with liners, and stone finished Maxamet blade of .125" thickness. I like the LW version well enough but I would prefer the G-10 with liners. I hope we might see this in either a Sprint Run or a Dealer Special, if not as a catalog item.

The .145" thick blade of the back lock version does not interest me in the least, but I would buy the back lock if the blade was .125" thickness and in Maxamet. I would also like to see the Manix 2 XL offered in G-10 with liners, and a stone finished Maxamet blade in .125" thickness.

Dave
Agreed. No need for a .145" thick blade. Huge turn off. Unnecessary, and probably only to appease the "hard use" crowd.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
mattman

Post by mattman »

David Lowry wrote:
El Gato wrote:I certainly hope we will see a Manix 2 in G-10 with liners, and stone finished Maxamet blade of .125" thickness. I like the LW version well enough but I would prefer the G-10 with liners. I hope we might see this in either a Sprint Run or a Dealer Special, if not as a catalog item.

Dave
Agreed. No need for a .145" thick blade. Huge turn off. Unnecessary, and probably only to appease the "hard use" crowd.
Just guessing, but I would think the biggest difference here, is so the lockbar can be .145" across the face. I would imagine this is a big contribution to it's strength, in this iteration.

Again, just guessing for the sake of the discussion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mattman wrote:
David Lowry wrote:

Dave
Just guessing, but I would think the biggest difference here, is so the lockbar can be .145" across the face. I would imagine this is a big contribution to it's strength, in this iteration.

Again, just guessing for the sake of the discussion.

This is how I see it. Thicker blade stock means more meat in the lock. I would be fine if they used 5-6mm blade stock for this reason alone and ground the blades down to 3mm.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I totally get the spine thickness/lock strength concern. I want a secure, dependable lock, just like everyone else but I use my knives for their intended use as cutting tools. I don't do "spine whacks" or stunts like opening tin cans or other exhibitions to "test" the strength of a blade lock. I just want to safely cut something and I want a thin and efficient blade that will do that job with a minimum of fuss. Maybe that's why I love my Chaparrals so much. The .77" thick blade cuts efficiently for every cutting task I ask it to do, and sometimes when I don't have a larger .125" thick blade to reach for, those tasks can be extreme. Yet the back lock on my Chaparral blade has never failed me and I have perfect confidence in it so long as I exercise reasonable judgement in the use of the knife and what I ask of it.

I am all for a strong and secure lock up but for me cutting something is why I reach for a knife, and I like a blade that will do that efficiently. If I could have the tang thickness to support a strong lock up and still have a blade that cuts efficiently, as do my Chaparrals, I would be all for such blade geometry. But I am not aware of that being done or available.

Maybe I'm just "different" ...... :)

Dave
mattman

Post by mattman »

If all other dimensions were unchanged, I wonder how thin behind the edge sal would dare grind a .125" Manix?

Could be quite interesting.

Anything else ever been that "tall" yet thin before?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It seems that the FRN version is priced pretty high so the G10 version would be just that much more expensive. But even at the price they are hard to find at retailers.
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

mattman wrote:If all other dimensions were unchanged, I wonder how thin behind the edge sal would dare grind a .125" Manix?

Could be quite interesting.

Anything else ever been that "tall" yet thin before?
Interesting for sure!
Lock strength along with laser-like cutting efficiency. I'd like to experience a blade like that, especially in something like Maxamet and using the Manix 2 for a platform. I think something like that would be a fun ride. Envision a blade .125" thickness at the tang and lock, reduced at the plunge line to a .100" thick blade portion, with tapered full flat grind from spine down to edge. For sure not a pry bar, but wouldn't it cut? :eek:

I admit to being a certified card carrying "fan man" of Spyderco and most everything Sal and Eric come up with, and have been for several years. But with all that, I find the vast majority of the knives feature blades of greater practical thickness than I am willing to buy or use. That is just a personal preference with me, and I totally understand that others have different needs in a knife, but it does limit me to a rather small percentage of the total Spyderco offerings, some of which I would otherwise like to have. Still, I am well pleased with those I do have. Proof again that Spyderco offers something for each of us.
Maybe I am just looking for a bigger slice of the pie ..... :)

Dave
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

I decided not to wait :D

:spyder: Maxamet with G-10 Scales :spyder:
Manix2MaxametGreenShirt_110417 (Large).jpg
:spyder: LW Cruwear :spyder:
Manix2LWCruwearBlackShirt_110417 (Large).jpg
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Dude, I was the OP and I would rather have the LW Manix 2 Cruwear than the G10 Maxamet. If you ever think about selling that LW Cruwear...
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

Pretty neat swap. :spyder:
Going back to Caly.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i am bumping this because i would like news on the g10 maxamet model.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

This, if it comes to fruition, would likely be my first folder in Maxamet.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:48 pm

Dude, I was the OP and I would rather have the LW Manix 2 Cruwear than the G10 Maxamet. If you ever think about selling that LW Cruwear...

Couldn't care less about a Maxamet Manix, but when do we get a Cruwear Manix LW (and Native LW for that matter)??? :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red