Chaparral dissassembly

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bosbevok

Chaparral dissassembly

Post by bosbevok »

Does anyone have a vid of a disassembly of the Chaparral?
bosbevok

Re: Chaparral dissassembly

Post by bosbevok »

Can anyone describe what's inside the Chaparral? Is it difficult to disassemble and reassemble?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

These photos are not mine, and I've never taken a Chaparral apart myself, so there's not much I can add beyond the obvious observations that, unlike most Spyderco midlocks, the lockbar pivot screw and one of the backspacer screws are hidden under the scales and that there's a stop pin in the blade ...
chaparral_apart.jpg
Chaparral Exploded.jpg
[/align]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have taken mine apart. It isn't much different than a standard back lock except that some of th screws are hidden under the scales. If you have taken other backlocks apart then you should be able to handle this one too.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

It's very easy to take apart. Just be careful with the internal screws not to strip them out.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

The Deacon wrote:These photos are not mine, and I've never taken a Chaparral apart myself, so there's not much I can add beyond the obvious observations that, unlike most Spyderco midlocks, the lockbar pivot screw and one of the backspacer screws are hidden under the scales and that there's a stop pin in the blade ...
Thanks for bringing up those pictures again Paul.
The way you presented them made it easy for me to print a couple of copies for my Chaparral files. Much appreciated. :)

Dave
bosbevok

Post by bosbevok »

Thanks All for some great info. Very helpful. Thanks for the pics Paul. I didn't realize there were versions of the Chaparral in S30V steel, mine is CTS XHP.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bosbevok wrote:Thanks All for some great info. Very helpful. Thanks for the pics Paul. I didn't realize there were versions of the Chaparral in S30V steel, mine is CTS XHP.
Glad they were of help.

As for the steels, all the Chaparrals were suppose to use XHP, but Spyderco ran into problems obtaining it, so the first few batches of the CF version were made using S30V that the folks in Taichung were using in a number of other Spyderco models and had on hand. Later CF Chaparrals, and all the later Chaparral versions, are XHP.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bosbevok

Post by bosbevok »

Thanks Paul. Really interesting stuff. Definately going to follow your posts.