Loving the Para 3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Loving the Para 3

Post by Jazz »

I don't like deep carry clips, but this knife is just too far out. Simple. Resize and adjust the lanyard hole, and put the clip back a tad and I'll buy one.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mic1 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I really don't understand why people are so concerned with how much of the knife shows while in the pocket. I've purchased an MXG clip to go on mine but it was only so that the clip wouldn't reach all the way to the cutout for the comp lock as I find it gets in the way.

Are you all worried someone might see it? Concerned with it getting dinged on something during carry? Something I'm missing?

Deep carry clips make the knife difficult to extract in my experience.

Yes actually I am bothered by one inch sticking out of my pocket it looks stupid. And yes again I don't need to advertise and flaunt I am carrying a knife. I live in communist occupied Illinois. It's also uncomfortable. In jeans it crowds my hand and the jimmping grates on my hand. I am still carrying it every day but honestly it would be a 10 out of 10 if it was standard tip down knife. Also truly believe it's safer tip down in your front pocket. Because at no time does your hand contact the blade and it can't open when your hand is in your pocket.
Yeah but he knife can come open on it's own and then stab you in the leg accidentally when you sit down or something. Tip up forces the blade shut and keeps it that way because it rests up against the back of your pocket.

I also don't keep anything in my pocket besides the knife itself, so I never go in there for other things, just the knife.

I get your point about being discreet in Illinois. That must be frustrating. I will say however, that Spyderco shouldn't design every knife with that in mind. It's good that you have the option of making it deep carry.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The solution seems to be tip down carry, or an MXG clip.
I don't mind the lanyard hole, it wasn't going to stop me. (I'm just fine with tip down carry AND I bought an MXG clip), but a lot of people seem to, and from what I can tell no one seems to actually use the lanyard hole, or the pocket clip in standard configuration. At least I haven't seen anyone post a pic of their para 3 with a lanyard yet.
Perhaps the next CQI should delete the lanyard hole altogether. (you can always attach it to the liner stand off on the pm3 anyways)
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

ZrowsN1s wrote:The solution seems to be tip down carry, or an MXG clip.
I don't mind the lanyard hole, it wasn't going to stop me. (I'm just fine with tip down carry AND I bought an MXG clip), but a lot of people seem to, and from what I can tell no one seems to actually use the lanyard hole, or the pocket clip in standard configuration. At least I haven't seen anyone post a pic of their para 3 with a lanyard yet.
Perhaps the next CQI should delete the lanyard hole altogether. (you can always attach it to the liner stand off on the pm3 anyways)
Do you mean to say that no one carries tip up (standard configuration), or that people don't stick with the standard clip? Because it's been established that around 80% or so of knife users carry tip up.

This will be the first knife I've ever switched out the clip on, and I'm doing it purely for fun and to eliminate the standard clip from getting in the way of the comp lock cut out. I don't care how much of the knife sticks out. But ymmv.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
ZrowsN1s wrote:The solution seems to be tip down carry, or an MXG clip.
Do you mean to say that no one carries tip up (standard configuration), or that people don't stick with the standard clip? Because it's been established that around 80% or so of knife users carry tip up.

This will be the first knife I've ever switched out the clip on, and I'm doing it purely for fun and to eliminate the standard clip from getting in the way of the comp lock cut out. I don't care how much of the knife sticks out. But ymmv.
I just mean with this particular knife.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I really don't understand why people are so concerned with how much of the knife shows while in the pocket. I've purchased an MXG clip to go on mine but it was only so that the clip wouldn't reach all the way to the cutout for the comp lock as I find it gets in the way.

Are you all worried someone might see it? Concerned with it getting dinged on something during carry? Something I'm missing?

Deep carry clips make the knife difficult to extract in my experience.
I couldn't give a crap less about anyone knowing I have a knife on me. I live in TN, the patron state of shooting stuff. Every other person on the street is open carrying. My problem with the clip location is security. When one inch of a three inch blade is sticking out of pocket, it's just begging to be lost. I guess if you work in an office setting that wouldn't be a problem, but out doing physical work, it's a concern for me.

I went against everything I've said about the Para 3 and ordered one, along with the MXG clip. I said I'd never buy one until it was fixed. I'm issuing my disclaimer to Sal and Eric now. Yes I bought the knife and yes, you all have already sold a ton. But the lanyard hole/clip area just plain sucks. I honestly cant believe the knife was even released that way. I shouldn't have to go aftermarket to fix something so obvious. Just my 2 cents and yea, I'm still disappointed even though mine is in the mail.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

Wrathhog wrote: Yes I bought the knife and yes, you all have already sold a ton. But the lanyard hole/clip area just plain sucks. I honestly cant believe the knife was even released that way. I shouldn't have to go aftermarket to fix something so obvious. Just my 2 cents and yea, I'm still disappointed
[/quote]

Exactly

And one other thing about aftermarket deep clips that I find annoying is to be deep they have to fold it over making more noticeable in your palm. I write this in my truck waiting for some guys on job with the knife in my pocket tip down. I really like the knife a lot it really could be Spyderco's perfect edc thus far. I have one in s30v and 2 s110v. So that should give you an idea how much I like the knife overall and that I am willing to live with the flaw and yes it's a design flaw in my opinion. Overall it's a great edc but the tip up option stinks. I would rather have no lanyard hole at all just a stand off and if you need to have a lanyard or bling out your knife just go around the stand off.
EmperorMA

Post by EmperorMA »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mic1 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I get your point about being discreet in Illinois. That must be frustrating. I will say however, that Spyderco shouldn't design every knife with that in mind. It's good that you have the option of making it deep carry.
I'm not being argumentative with you, just using the quote to make a point. :)

I agree that Spyderco shouldn't design a much-anticipated knife like like the Para 3 with a small market in mind. However, nobody likes this lanyard hole/clip placement debacle. It's almost as if not a single member of the design team at Spyderco actually carried the Para 3 before its introduction. If more than one person had, there would have been nearly universal feedback just like you're seeing on this thread and in every even slightly-legitimate review of the knife.

I think Spydie fans are incredulous that this thing made it to production this way. I also think that Spyderco sees that it's selling like hot cakes and that the negative feedback isn't nearly as pervasive as it actually is.

People are buying the knife because it is so good that it is worth the extra $30 to get it into carrying shape. I'd gladly pay another $10-15 at retail if it were done right in the first place.

ADDING: The aftermarket "deep carry" clips don't actually make the Para 3 carry deep. My Casey Lynch Short has the Para 3 riding about the same depth as a stock Delica or PM2.
Wishlist: Delica 4 FFG VG10, Manix 2 LW XHP, Military 204P and S110V, Para 3 Cruwear and S110V, Paramilitary 2 (all versions), SpydieChef LC200N, Caribbean PE and Sheepsfoot SE

Procured: Caly 3.5 VG10, Dragonfly 2 LW VG10, Manix 2 XL S30V, Native 5 LW S110V, Para 3 S30V, Paramilitary 2 S110V
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

EmperorMA wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mic1 wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:I get your point about being discreet in Illinois. That must be frustrating. I will say however, that Spyderco shouldn't design every knife with that in mind. It's good that you have the option of making it deep carry.
I agree that Spyderco shouldn't design a much-anticipated knife like like the Para 3 with a small market in mind. However, nobody likes this lanyard hole/clip placement debacle.
When you say nobody, how can you be so sure? I like having a part of the knife sticking out of my pocket so that I have something to grab onto to aid with extracting it.

I guess I'm just finding that a lot of people on here are overly upset about the placement of a lanyard hole. Too upset really. Mentioning YouTube reviewers opinions on the matter just helps remind me of the whole flipper bearing (non) issue. I mean, Spyderco made some changes, but I think it was more to silence the complaints and less because of whether an issue existed or not.

I find it fine the way it is, but I guess time will tell.

@liquid_cobra
Wrathhog

Post by Wrathhog »

EmperorMA wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Mic1 wrote:
I'm not being argumentative with you, just using the quote to make a point. :)

I agree that Spyderco shouldn't design a much-anticipated knife like like the Para 3 with a small market in mind. However, nobody likes this lanyard hole/clip placement debacle. It's almost as if not a single member of the design team at Spyderco actually carried the Para 3 before its introduction. If more than one person had, there would have been nearly universal feedback just like you're seeing on this thread and in every even slightly-legitimate review of the knife.

I think Spydie fans are incredulous that this thing made it to production this way. I also think that Spyderco sees that it's selling like hot cakes and that the negative feedback isn't nearly as pervasive as it actually is.

People are buying the knife because it is so good that it is worth the extra $30 to get it into carrying shape. I'd gladly pay another $10-15 at retail if it were done right in the first place.

ADDING: The aftermarket "deep carry" clips don't actually make the Para 3 carry deep. My Casey Lynch Short has the Para 3 riding about the same depth as a stock Delica or PM2.
I almost get the feeling that there wasn't much effort put into the knife from a design standpoint. It's like they went with the "they asked for it so they'll buy it" mentality. You can't tell me a lanyard hole appropriately sized to the knife could have been that much trouble. I see that corners were cut in what should have been a homerun. The compression lock under the stop pin on mine looks like my 11 year old took a dremel and ground it so it would fit, which tells me something wasn't exactly right with the tooling. For the PM2 to be excellence in every way, the Para 3 fell short miserably. Even with the goofy MXG clip, I'll never be as happy as I expected to be with this knife.
Last edited by Wrathhog on Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

So cobra 1/3 of the knife closed sticking out of your pocket is okay? I might as well wear a belt pouch. How about 1/3 of the military, or delica, nataive etc sticking out as much its absurd.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Would love to see the Para 3 sporting the deep carry Spyderco wire clip. Not sure if that is a CQI possibility or not but it would still allow for attachment of a lanyard via the clip itself or the lanyard hole could be rotated up toward the spine of the handle (think Manix 2).

Beyond the clip/lanyard placement the Para 3 is great! Fantastic ergos and cutting performance.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Slicydicey

Post by Slicydicey »

EmperorMA wrote:IMG_0444.JPGI have a Para 3 and it kind of languished in the safe due to the inexplicable placement of the clip. The thing rode so high that my Manix 2 XL was easier to carry. I was thinking of sending it down the road.

Then a kind soul who knew of my predicament PMd me and let me know he'd sell me a Casey Lynch Short Ti clip for it and I accepted his offer.

What a transformation! The Para 3 is now my EDC five days a week. I absolutely love it, as it fills the hand and has a very tough blade that handles everything I throw at it.

I still reach for my blurple PM2 on the weekend but for my sub-3" work jurisdiction, it will be very hard for my Para 3 to be unseated as my EDC.

I plan to get another in S110V or maybe 204P if it gets offered. It's a great knife once you change out the clip.
That is the best cutting board I have ever seen. Where did you get it?
My spydie history Blue DELICA ffg, Dragonfly Salt, Orange dragonfly 2,Tenacious, PM2, Orange DELICA, Manix 2 LW S110V, Native 5 LW, para 3, cutlery shoppe orange S90V LW Native 5, Native 5 Salt
Slicydicey

Post by Slicydicey »

mad german wrote:I put MXG Gear deep carry clips on my Para3's and I love them so much more. MXG Gear clips are top notch. I doubt you'll find a better clip, IMO.
Best advice ever.
https://i.imgur.com/ty9pgE7_d.jpg?maxwi ... ity=medium
My spydie history Blue DELICA ffg, Dragonfly Salt, Orange dragonfly 2,Tenacious, PM2, Orange DELICA, Manix 2 LW S110V, Native 5 LW, para 3, cutlery shoppe orange S90V LW Native 5, Native 5 Salt
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mic1 wrote:So cobra 1/3 of the knife closed sticking out of your pocket is okay? I might as well wear a belt pouch. How about 1/3 of the military, or delica, nataive etc sticking out as much its absurd.
Yeah I think it's okay, it really doesn't bother me. It clearly bothers some people but there isn't much I can do about that. I carry a Yojimbo a lot of the time and it sticks out of the pocket about the same. I've never heard any complaints about how deep the Yojimbo 2 carries...

@liquid_cobra
SG89

Post by SG89 »

good comparison LC
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bosbevok

Post by bosbevok »

I need some advice. Just bought the s110v burple version. Haven't taken apart yet but I feel a slight side to side blade play. Used my torque to tighten the pivot screw and initially no plade play but after an open or two it comes back. Any thoughts?
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

I absolutely love my Para 3, especially with the Lynch clip added. This knife kicked the PM2 back to the boxes.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Mic1 wrote:So 1/3 of the knife closed sticking out of your pocket is okay? I might as well wear a belt pouch. How about 1/3 of the military, or delica, nataive etc sticking out as much its absurd.
1/3 of the knife is not sticking out of pocket. Even in tip up carry. That's, most certainly, an exaggeration.

While I agree that the Para 3 could have gotten away with a smaller lanyard hole (Sage 5 size) to bring the clip up just that little bit more, I don't agree with people making it out to be a big problem, when it's completely subjective.
-Nick :bug-red
Mic1

Post by Mic1 »

A good deal of people disagree.

It's one inch of 4" knife closed so it's 1/4 .