New Models Dropped: Police 4, Chinook 4, Opus

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dplafoll

New Models Dropped: Police 4, Chinook 4, Opus

Post by dplafoll »

As always, thanks so much to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for the privilege of taking these.

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8iRwa8

ImageUntitled by dplafoll, on Flickr

Let me just get this out of the way: All three of these are bigger than my taste, so I won't be buying them. Take all opinions with that caveat.

Police 4: It's been a while since I've handled a Police, so this was almost like a new experience. It fits very nicely in the hand, and it's a classic design but updated. Lockup feels great, the blade looks great, F&F is very good. I can confirm it has PB washers; I can also confirm that the tolerances are so tight in there that I initially couldn't see one of the washers and thought only one side had one. Overall a very nice knife. I am honestly not sure what I'd choose between this knife and the Military in that general size. Also, hooray K390 steel!

Chinook 4: It feels like the description from the Spyderco Byte newsletter, in that the grip is very secure and that you could hit someone or something with it and not worry about the lock. Definitely not my thing aesthetically, but it seems very well made and if it speaks to you I think you'll enjoy it. Lockup is good; the action is a little stiffer than a normal lockback, but not a big deal. Confirmed PB washers on this one as well, though the setup in the pivot made it hard to see much less photograph. S30V steel.

Opus: This one is an interesting knife. To me, the blade looks good, and the handle starts to look good then kinda droops off towards the rear. I don't dislike it, but I am not sure if I like it or not. It definitely surprised me, though, with the ergonomics. It feels very natural in the hand, and I think it would actually make a good large EDC knife. The design of the handle gives you a very nice pinch point, lots of thumb purchase without a large thumb ramp, and the pseudo-choil (if it's not a 50/50, maybe it's a 25/75?) and finger scallop keep your knuckles right around the level of the cutting edge, like the SpydieChef. The lanyard hole seems like an unnecessary addition. One disappointment on this one is that it's definitely teflon washers. But, with S30V instead of VG-10, and the action is fairly good, I can let that go more than on other models. Lockup is good on the liner lock, and it's easy enough to disengage. Overall, another weird Spyderco that you may really like, or might not. But it's a very unique knife either way

Note: I found out that some videos for previous drops hadn't uploaded correctly, so I'm re-uploading them and I'll have those available once that's done. The videos for these three are definitely in the album.
EDIT: Videos are up. Albums:
Caly 3, Para 3 Cruwear: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6ZgvtH
Native 5 Fluted CF, others: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5K8YiU
Meerkat, BJH, Manix2 Comp.: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1mU3X2
Salt 2: https://flic.kr/s/aHskWLa3hQ
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
SF Native

Re: New Models Dropped: Police 4, Chinook 4, Opus

Post by SF Native »

Thanks as always for posting the initial review.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Thanks again for the great reviews! The Police 4 was a defintly must have for me and I am even more exited now that I see it doesn't have a Boye Detent!! Does anyone know if this has the new stout backlock like on the Manix and Native?
Josh
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

dplafoll wrote:As always, thanks so much to Mark's Outdoors in Vestavia Hills, AL for the privilege of taking these.

Album link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm8iRwa8

Let me just get this out of the way: All three of these are bigger than my taste, so I won't be buying them. Take all opinions with that caveat.

Police 4: It's been a while since I've handled a Police, so this was almost like a new experience. It fits very nicely in the hand, and it's a classic design but updated. Lockup feels great, the blade looks great, F&F is very good. I can confirm it has PB washers; I can also confirm that the tolerances are so tight in there that I initially couldn't see one of the washers and thought only one side had one. Overall a very nice knife. I am honestly not sure what I'd choose between this knife and the Military in that general size. Also, hooray K390 steel!

Chinook 4: It feels like the description from the Spyderco Byte newsletter, in that the grip is very secure and that you could hit someone or something with it and not worry about the lock. Definitely not my thing aesthetically, but it seems very well made and if it speaks to you I think you'll enjoy it. Lockup is good; the action is a little stiffer than a normal lockback, but not a big deal. Confirmed PB washers on this one as well, though the setup in the pivot made it hard to see much less photograph. S30V steel.

Opus: This one is an interesting knife. To me, the blade looks good, and the handle starts to look good then kinda droops off towards the rear. I don't dislike it, but I am not sure if I like it or not. It definitely surprised me, though, with the ergonomics. It feels very natural in the hand, and I think it would actually make a good large EDC knife. The design of the handle gives you a very nice pinch point, lots of thumb purchase without a large thumb ramp, and the pseudo-choil (if it's not a 50/50, maybe it's a 25/75?) and finger scallop keep your knuckles right around the level of the cutting edge, like the SpydieChef. The lanyard hole seems like an unnecessary addition. One disappointment on this one is that it's definitely teflon washers. But, with S30V instead of VG-10, and the action is fairly good, I can let that go more than on other models. Lockup is good on the liner lock, and it's easy enough to disengage. Overall, another weird Spyderco that you may really like, or might not. But it's a very unique knife either way

Note: I found out that some videos for previous drops hadn't uploaded correctly, so I'm re-uploading them and I'll have those available once that's done. The videos for these three are definitely in the album.
EDIT: Videos are up. Albums:
Caly 3, Para 3 Cruwear: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6ZgvtH
Native 5 Fluted CF, others: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm5K8YiU
Meerkat, BJH, Manix2 Comp.: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm1mU3X2
Salt 2: https://flic.kr/s/aHskWLa3hQ
Thanks for the post. I am looking forward to the P4.

Mark must be pushing 70 now and getting long in the tooth.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Out of the 3 I went with the chinook 4. I'll get the police 4 at some point but I really wanted an EDC/SD combo roll filler and this does it nicely.
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

Doc Dan wrote:Thanks for the post. I am looking forward to the P4.

Mark must be pushing 70 now and getting long in the tooth.
Unfortunately, Mark Sr. passed back in 2012 from, I believe, some form of cancer. That was a couple of years before I got into this hobby and about 3 before I found out about his store. His wife still owns the store, and his son works there as one of the top management, and he'll probably end up running it. He's a good guy and he wasn't huge into knives before he met the knife counter at the store; now, he carries a ZT0850 almost exclusively and is definitely into knives and committed to the knife counter's success.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Sorry to hear about Mark. I knew him.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
KingRat

Post by KingRat »

Thanks a lot for your work. I especially appreciate your up-close videos. I think it's pretty impressive that Spyderco can release these three on the same day and still have much more to come in the coming weeks, not to mention what has already been released this year.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

The Opus is interesting. The hunchback profile reminds me of a vulture, the way a vulture's wings sit high on its back. The tip almost looks like a softened or rounded tanto.

I imagine the Japan G-10/S30V pricing will hamper sales at $200.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

I am happy to see that the Police 4 and K390 blade steel at .118" thickness is showing up. I have been very interested in this one.

Dave
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

KW just billed me for a Police4. Woohoo!
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

Looks like GPK has the Police 4.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I was going over my new P4 and treating the steel before use. I had an opportunity to compare it with the Cruwear PM 3 which I had handy. The P4 came to me not wanting to shave hair unlike the Cruwear PM 3. That one was finished to a higher degree and is a supreme slicer right out of the box. The P4 on the other hand showed less finish on the edge and the blade was also less uniform to my eye. Now I'm not complaining. The P4 is an extremely well made knife more than worth it's price. The P4 seems more workmanlike though.

The Cruwear Pm3 like the Pm2 Cruwear before it were built and finished to levels I expect from high dollar custom and semi custom knives. I don't know how Spyderco pulls them off at those prices to be honest. The Police 4's edge reminded me what kind of steel it is when it began cutting right in to the skin even with me being very careful when shave testing. Something that only has happened to me when using a very high carbide steel made to be very sharp. A razor might be technically sharper but those high carbide steels seem to bite more into flesh. Not a scientific description I admit yet one that I am convinced of and have seen with 10V and S125V ( at rc 64.5) and Maxamet along with Rex 20 ( M62). Something about the steel, carbides and the surface tension of flesh.... or something. :)

Anyways, I do like the two new knives. More knives I once would have thought very unlikely or impossible to ask of any knife manufacturer. I recall when S90V was too much to ask or hope for. :D Thank you again Spyderco.

Joe
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Chinook4 and Opus at $201-$204 are overpriced as with most Spydercos made in Japan with G-10 and S30V/VG-10.

Consider the U.S. made Spydercos with G-10 and S30V/S35VN going for $102-$161.

Police4 at $174 with G-10 and K390 is somewhat reasonable.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

RamZar wrote:Chinook4 and Opus at $201-$204 are overpriced as with most Spydercos made in Japan with G-10 and S30V/VG-10.

I compared my Chinook 4 to my para 2 and Millie and the chinook has way more going into it. Sorry but it's appropriately priced. Would I have liked to have seen it a bit lower and in the realm of the Golden spydercos? Absolutely. The price is due to import costs vs exchange and any other factors that may contribute to a higher price.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The S110V Military is $177 so I would say that the Police4 in K390 at $174 is better than "somewhat reasonable". The steels are in a similar class and the knives are a similar size. They seem like similar knives at a similar price.

I agree that some of the Japanese Spydies are not bringing the greatest value but I think that this one is a good value for what you are getting.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Popsickle wrote:
RamZar wrote:Chinook4 and Opus at $201-$204 are overpriced as with most Spydercos made in Japan with G-10 and S30V/VG-10.

I compared my Chinook 4 to my para 2 and Millie and the chinook has way more going into it. Sorry but it's appropriately priced. Would I have liked to have seen it a bit lower and in the realm of the Golden spydercos? Absolutely. The price is due to import costs vs exchange and any other factors that may contribute to a higher price.
In what objective ways is your Chinook4 so superior to your ParaMilitary2 and Military to justify the lofty price? The materials are the same and I personally find Golden quality superior to Japanese made Spydercos.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

RamZar wrote:
Popsickle wrote:

In what objective ways is your Chinook4 so superior to your ParaMilitary2 and Military to justify the lofty price? The materials are the same and I personally find Golden quality superior to Japanese made Spydercos.
When I get it back from warranty I'll do a comparison. See thread //forum.spyderco.com/viewto ... =2&t=75904 For info as to why you'll have to wait