Ignore feature?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Midnightrider

Re: Ignore feature?

Post by Midnightrider »

Bloke wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:Only because he just posts wall of pics a hundred times a day with no text and it's annoying to scroll past it on a phone.
Thanks Midnight!

I thought I was the only one! :)
Thanks bro
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am suspicious that this is not even his real name, nor his country. His English is too good. Plus, I saw someone on FB that said some things eerily similar, but not as obnoxious. So, I don't know, but I am suspicious.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

My thoughts as well. Not only his English but his apparent grasp of US state weather. He just seems to know too much to be where he claims to be located.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Midnightrider wrote:
In all seriousness I have used the feature but not because of what somebody said. Only because he just posts wall of pics a hundred times a day with no text and it's annoying to scroll past it on a phone. So yeah I have to agree this is a pretty good bunch of guys.
And of the same set of knives each time. :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I never needed an ignore button until recently :rolleyes:
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

npad69 wrote:hi kristi, besides beefing up the ignore function.. maybe you can look into the "hide post by downvote" feature which i see in some of the forums i've been in. its basically like hiding a post if it gets like 10 or so downvotes, people can still read them but they will still need to click on another link for them to see it. replying to a "hidden" post/reply will also inherit the downvote and it will also be hidden to discourage people from replying to trolls.
And, if we had a Like or Upvote button, I would click it for Npad's post WITHOUT having to quote it...
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

I don't agree with that. Either you believe in free speech or you don't. This kinda thing usually degenerates into mob-like attacks on people for saying unpopular things even if they are said in an appropriate way.

The best approach is like in life. Express yourself how you see it and listen to the other guy. If you want to discuss it, discuss it. If you see the guy is unreasonable you just say have a nice day and go on to something else.

This is a separate issue from attacks on people, which I think everyone agrees aren't acceptable.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The up/downvote thing can get real "cliquey" really fast where you're part of the in crowd or you aren't. We don't have that issue much here (if we do I must not be in the in-crowd lol) but the potential is there. For the most part this forum is self policed really well. You have to be a real jackass to get banned from here.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Midnightrider wrote:
In all seriousness I have used the feature but not because of what somebody said. Only because he just posts wall of pics a hundred times a day with no text and it's annoying to scroll past it on a phone. So yeah I have to agree this is a pretty good bunch of guys.
And of the same set of knives each time. :D
All pointed straight at the bottom edge of the screen......yeah. I get ya.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

What? You guys don't edc chanellocks?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Aaaand we have troll bait in general again. :D
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Hope it's not a tease.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Gotta give him credit for tenacity ...... but little else. :rolleyes:
SG89

Post by SG89 »

he'll be back
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Spydergirl88 wrote:he'll be back
Of course. Was there ever anything he said that was true?
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Well it did provide for a bit of fun on an otherwise relatively quiet day.
Tar and feathers, anyone .....? :D
SG89

Post by SG89 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Spydergirl88 wrote:he'll be back
Of course. Was there ever anything he said that was true?
nope
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I went and found the thread he was in when he melted down this latest time. I honestly get the feeling he can't understand why people don't comprehend his genius. Seeing "lesser" people become successful at designing a knife for the pre- eminent performance knife company is to him similar to seeing a person he is crushing on select another person instead of him. It causes enough pain to make him want to lash out.

Recall his past here. He swore he was going to start his own knife company when he couldn't get others here to climb on the bandwagon for his design, rainbow finish and all. Now someone has had success when he didn't. In addition forumites seem to be receptive and even complimentary to this upstart knife designer while not taking him seriously.

All in all a disturbed chicken head who can't decide whether to righteously storm off or stay and inflict pain on the tormentors of his ego. That causes a painful realization that no one here is invested enough in him to feel pain from his scorn. The only course of action would be to convince himself we are low intelligence yokels who have surrendered to shill-ness. That is why we can't realize the brilliance of his nuggets of wisdom he shares with us lesser intellects.

From the desk of Dr.Mastiff
Doctor professor Finn Bear the Mastiff,
Spyderco forum dean of Abnormal Pysch.
:eek:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Very interesting Dr. Mastiff! :)

The Dunning–Kruger effect.

"In the field of psychology, the Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias wherein persons of low ability suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their cognitive ability as greater than it is. The cognitive bias of illusory superiority derives from the metacognitive inability of low-ability persons to recognize their own ineptitude."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%E ... ger_effect
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If the guy really isn't a troll, that's a bummer. But honestly, I feel like if that's the case then the guy needs a reality check all the same.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David