19c27 anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ryno

19c27 anyone?

Post by Ryno »

Has spyderco ever produced a knife in this steel? It doesn't look like they have and I would love to try it. It's just like VG10, but with hardly any alloying elements and no other carbide formers.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Johnnie1801

Re: 19c27 anyone?

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Spyderco have not used any Sandvik steels as far as I know. I seem to recall Sal mentioning that they tried to order some but Sandvik never got back to them so it never happened. I hope they try again as it would be interesting to see what Spyderco can do with these steels.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Johnnie1801 wrote:Spyderco have not used any Sandvik steels as far as I know. I seem to recall Sal mentioning that they tried to order some but Sandvik never got back to them so it never happened. I hope they try again as it would be interesting to see what Spyderco can do with these steels.
That is just odd. A knife steel manufacturer not getting back to one of the worlds most credible knife makers? That's got to be like turning down a management deal with the Beatles..
thombrogan

Post by thombrogan »

MBS-26 is in the same family. Can't remember, but tell myself Gin-1, ATS-55 and BD1 are close, too.

Had a Suisin chef knife in 19C27. All of its amazing performance and everything about it had to do more with the craftspeople hired by the Aoki family versus the steel used. Make it as hard as it can get with minimal retained austenite and grind it thin and it's great stuff.
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Yeah I'm pretty sure MBS-26 is really similar. I thought the issue with Sandvik was getting the quantity needed from them, but I could be wrong.

I really like 14C28N and their AEB-L variant. I have one French knife using 19C27, I believe, but haven't used it much. It's said they make a quality pure steel, but a good heat treat is essential. VG-10 and similar steels aren't as interesting to me as the extremely low and high carbide offerings.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've heard good things about how this steel sharpens and performs at low edge angles, though I have not used it myself.
:unicorn
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It should be pretty close to VG 1 steel. Not exact but pretty close. Cold steel used a bunch of that.

Joe
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I searched through old threads about 19c27, and nearly every one was started by Cliff Stamp. I'm pretty sure he loved the stuff. He could be pretty rigid in his beliefs about steel and preferring low carbide steels, but I'm starting to arrive at similar conclusions to what he was constantly pontificating.
Ryan

“Every created being is so constituted as to be capable of vice and virtue. For he can do nothing praiseworthy, if he had not the power of turning either way.” - Justin Martyr
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
That is just odd. A knife steel manufacturer not getting back to one of the worlds most credible knife makers? That's got to be like turning down a management deal with the Beatles..

Pete Best move. Literally the definition of a bad decision.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Evil D wrote: Pete Best move. Literally the definition of a bad decision.
I'm not sure I get the reference. Pete Best was fired for not being a very good session drummer, as I understand it.
Ryan

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ryno wrote:
I'm not sure I get the reference. Pete Best was fired for not being a very good session drummer, as I understand it.
I was under the impression he quit...maybe I'm confusing him with a different drummer/story.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Evil D wrote:
Ryno wrote:
I was under the impression he quit...maybe I'm confusing him with a different drummer/story.
Maybe Ronald Wayne is a good reference for bad decisions.
Ryan