The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ti Rod Tactical

Re: The Advocate - An Official Statement from Spyderco

Post by Ti Rod Tactical »

Bodog wrote:
palonej wrote:I just had one......very salty!!!
:D
I've been favoring whiskey and peach tea. Much sweeter.
Me,...I've been favoring a few heath drinks lately and have come to really like Kombucha, an old world probiotics fermented tea drink. It gives me a satisfying "fizz" fix much like soda did,....has a very small amount of alcohol from the fermentation process, and is great for you besides! What's not to like?....

Well,..one thing not to like,....in most store the GTS Brand that I like the best ("Original" flavor with much less sugar than some of the fruit ones),...sells for $3.99 for a 16.2 oz bottle! Sometimes on sale for $2.99, but it's still pricey. Some days I drink TWO spread out,....but that adds up quick so I have to watch it as it hurts the pocketbook.

I guess you cocktail drinkers are used to $4 and higher drinks,....so maybe you should try a heathy Kombucha,...nectar of the Gods! :D
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ti Rod Tactical wrote:I prefer PB washers in a serious use knife, so I'd probably never buy an Advocate. The only ball bearing knife I own is a used ZT-0562CF just to see how good it flipped. Now I'm over the flipping infatuation. ;)

However, If I did own one I'd eliminate the ball bearing cage entirely, fit a brass or bronze bushing tight into the recesses to take up a lot of the headspace of the BB cage,...and use a .015" to .020" hardened steel washer to make up the difference to rest against the ball bearings. Same count of 2 components to get the same overall thickness as the original ball bearing system, but much more durable and user friendly for tinkerers.

....it should flip even better too, without the potential for the really thin washer to distort and dimple. Just saying that's what I would do....
Hi Ti Rod, welcome to the forum. I feel like you do about PB washers, ball bearing washers aren't for me. The advocate is a pretty sweet looking knife though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

I'll most likely buy a revamped version regardless of it having bearings or not. I yelled and screamed for something to be done and the least i can do to show appreciation to Sal and co. for listening to all of us is to buy one. It is one **** of a nice looking knife with what's arguably my favorite steel.

And welcome Ti Rod. I've tried kombucha. Can't get into it. Been trying to learn to like coconut water.
Last edited by Bodog on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Whoops
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
TBob

Post by TBob »

I will definitely buy the revamped version as soon as it's available in the Spyderco store. I've grown fond of flippers and the Advocate is a beauty.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
palonej

Post by palonej »

I have had the un re vamped version for around 6 months. The knife has been amazing from day one.....truly.
It flips most excellently. Locks up stupid tight. And best of all it slices like a laser.
I haven't adjusted anything and have carried and used it plenty. The knife is a joy and you guys are going to love it.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_2461.JPG
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

palonej wrote:I have had the un re vamped version for around 6 months. The knife has been amazing from day one.....truly.
It flips most excellently. Locks up stupid tight. And best of all it slices like a laser.
I haven't adjusted anything and have carried and used it plenty. The knife is a joy and you guys are going to love it.
Joe
Are you using a fidget spinner as a lanyard bead?
palonej

Post by palonej »

Cheddarnut wrote:
palonej wrote:I have had the un re vamped version for around 6 months. The knife has been amazing from day one.....truly.
Joe
Adds a little weight, but it is extremely fast out of pocket!!!
Joe
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

palonej wrote:
Cheddarnut wrote:
Joe
Adds a little weight, but it is extremely fast out of pocket!!!
Joe
Indeed. Now if one were to combine your knife and your lanyard bead...
Fidgetspinnerultra.jpg
Fidgetspinnerultra.jpg (6.67 KiB) Viewed 5405 times
palonej

Post by palonej »

Nice!!
That could be interesting......... :D :D
carrot

Post by carrot »

sal wrote:As it turns out, in our study of the situation, we decided that there were some issues (thin washers, etc) that would be a more complicated fix. We suspended production on all of our flippers, and we have stopped shipping Advocates until we can sort it out,. Mike has made announcements to that subject. Eric is currently meeting with the maker to discuss possible solutions for now and moving forward.
sal
Not that my other Spyderco flipper has been a problem at all, but I have been thinking of buying a Mantra 2 and I’m wondering if any production changes have made it to the Mantra yet? I can’t wait to own one.
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Hello Sal...it’s been about 10 weeks since your last Advocate update. Do we have a better idea of an ETA yet? Any chance it’ll be before the holidays? I’m really looking forward to getting one back in my pocket!

All the best!
Hovan
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Hovan,

We're still waiting for shipment.

sal
hovan2yourknives

Post by hovan2yourknives »

Thank you very much for replying Sal!!
Senate

Post by Senate »

Hello Sal

despite the little flaw i love the knife.
could you be more specific as to what changes have been made?
and will the current knives in the wild will be able to receive these changes or it's a new redesign?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Senate,

It's a redesign. Blade, washers, bearings, holder all new.

sal
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

sal wrote:Hi Senate,

sal
Hello Sal, How can they be distinguished from the first version from the outside?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Toomzz,

We've not yet established that.

sal
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

sal wrote:Hi Senate,

sal
"...all new." No wonder it's taken this long. Sounds veeeery interesting. Glad I waited.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Wouldn’t the redesigned Advocates have a manufacture code of say November 2017 (KQ) or later on the box?
Last edited by RamZar on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln