The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Evil D

Re: The Official Gun Brand and Caliber Debate thread!

Post by Evil D »

Well now I have to decide if I want to trade my Glock 19 Gen 3 for the new Gen 5 or just keep it and buy an Gen 5 G17 instead. Hmmm.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Guy from the sig forum just bought a glock gen 5 and loves it! Said the trigger was super nice outta the box.
I think the Gen 5 may be the best yet. Time will tell.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:Guy from the sig forum just bought a glock gen 5 and loves it! Said the trigger was super nice outta the box.
I've been sucking in all the feedback I can find and so far it seems like the best Glock ever made. They've basically listened to customer feedback and watched what customers are modifying and made those changes. I'm glad I didn't blow a bunch of money modding the frame on my Gen3 now lol.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:Guy from the sig forum just bought a glock gen 5 and loves it! Said the trigger was super nice outta the box.
I've been sucking in all the feedback I can find and so far it seems like the best Glock ever made. They've basically listened to customer feedback and watched what customers are modifying and made those changes. I'm glad I didn't blow a bunch of money modding the frame on my Gen3 now lol.
No doubt :)
And I realize that 1 Glock could last a man his whole life, no problem. But, still yet, it would be very hard not to buy a new Gen 5. Btw, for whatever reason, the same guy said his new Gen 5, was also the most accurate outta the box Glock he's ever had as well. And he's one of these guys that has lots of em lol.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Call me old fashioned but I don't think there's anything more reliable or safer to carry than a double action revolver. Versions with either and enclosed or shrouded hammer add an additional degree of safety. If I lived in an open carry state I'd probably have a 4" barreled S&W K-frame on my hip most days. However, SC does not allow open carry and so, as a concession to the realities of concealed carry, I settle for a S&W J-frame in my pocket occasionally supplemented by a second one in a shoulder rig. Yes, they're of limited capacity but they're light weight, comfortable, and very inconspicuous. More importantly, they shoot where I point when fitted with my preferred grips. I can place all 5 rounds in a 6" circle, or one shot each in five of them, at 7 yards just by pointing and shooting.

Bedside gun is a laser equipped Beretta 92A1. Not something I'd want to lug around all day, but it's comfortable in my hand and holds quite a few rounds. Perhaps most importantly, although totally different from ny J-frames, it's also very much the same now that it's been fitted with the "G" conversion kit, so there's no safety to fumble with. Just point, in this case with the aid of the laser, and shoot.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Deacon wrote:Call me old fashioned but I don't think there's anything more reliable or safer to carry than a double action revolver. Versions with either and enclosed or shrouded hammer add an additional degree of safety. If I lived in an open carry state I'd probably have a 4" barreled S&W K-frame on my hip most days. However, SC does not allow open carry and so, as a concession to the realities of concealed carry, I settle for a S&W J-frame in my pocket occasionally supplemented by a second one in a shoulder rig. Yes, they're of limited capacity but they're light weight, comfortable, and very inconspicuous. More importantly, they shoot where I point when fitted with my preferred grips. I can place all 5 rounds in a 6" circle, or one shot each in five of them, at 7 yards just by pointing and shooting.

Bedside gun is a laser equipped Beretta 92A1. Not something I'd want to lug around all day, but it's comfortable in my hand and holds quite a few rounds. Perhaps most importantly, although totally different from ny J-frames, it's also very much the same now that it's been fitted with the "G" conversion kit, so there's no safety to fumble with. Just point, in this case with the aid of the laser, and shoot.

Paul if you don't mind me leveraging your age a bit here, something I really love is talking to guys who have spent the majority of their shooting years with revolvers, because their perspective is always so different than people who grew up with Glocks/etc. Sometimes that perspective seems a little close minded, but I respect the way (especially retired officers) are able to make respectable groups with DA revolvers, especially the little pocket rocket small frame .357's. When I hear people crying about how their small size Glock is snappy and hard to control it makes me laugh thinking about how they would handle something like a S&W Model 360 .357 or a SP101 .357. I didn't own a semi auto pistol until just about 2 years ago so nearly all of the handgun experience I have is with revolvers so I've always appreciated the skill it takes to be proficient with one compared to modern "point and click" pistols.
~David
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i'm in my mid 60's and a glock fan since 1993. bought 3 that year, 19,22 and a 23. still own those pistols, gen 2's. since i've added a couple of gen 3's and 4's along the way. this old dog jumped on the glock train early and never got off. but don't see a need to even look at a gen 5, nothing there i'm after. with my eyesight and shaky hands a newly designed barrel ain't gonna help me and i sure as **** don't want a thumb safety on a glock.
revolvers, i like them fine. own a bunch and take them out for exercise often but don't carry one any more. maybe an old m36 when i'm too lazy to open the safe.
some people resist change and go with what they know. nothing wrong with that at all. i'd rather see folks carry a 5-6 shot revolver than nothing. it's all good.

eta: my error, no thumb safety on these, it's the fbi version i believe. sorry!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

greencobra wrote:i'm in my mid 60's and a glock fan since 1993. bought 3 that year, 19,22 and a 23. still own those pistols, gen 2's. since i've added a couple of gen 3's and 4's along the way. this old dog jumped on the glock train early and never got off. but don't see a need to even look at a gen 5, nothing there i'm after. with my eyesight and shaky hands a newly designed barrel ain't gonna help me and i sure as **** don't want a thumb safety on a glock.
revolvers, i like them fine. own a bunch and take them out for exercise often but don't carry one any more. maybe an old m36 when i'm too lazy to open the safe.
some people resist change and go with what they know. nothing wrong with that at all. i'd rather see folks carry a 5-6 shot revolver than nothing. it's all good.

eta: my error, no thumb safety on these, it's the fbi version i believe. sorry!

If you own and feel fine with your Gen 2's, then the Gen 5's probably would seem redundant. I actually like them specifically because they're so much like the Gen 2, but with improvements that I think are worthwhile and only make a great gun greater. I stopped by and shot a Gen 5 G17 tonight after work, and oh boy am I buying this gun ASAP. The 19 is great too but the new 17 fits my hand like nothing else I've ever shot. Finally my gorilla hands fit a grip (well, mostly lol).

(no jokes about my girly bracelet, it was a Father's day gift from my daughter lol)
~David
LDB

Post by LDB »

I've got an unfired G19 Gen 4 and may get the Gen 5.
greencobra

Post by greencobra »

i'm partial to the gen 3, prefer the finger groves actually to not having any on the 2. i also have a gen 4 19 unfired. after i bought it i never felt the need, the gen 3 19 was chugging along just fine, thanks. got a g20 gen 4, like that a lot and sees a lot of use. i've taken to using that as a carry gun. had to buy suspenders to keep the pants up though, lol. it's very heavy as you would expect.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wheel guns are super reliable and super accurate no doubt. But, I love shooting from the single action. And that's so much fun with a semi auto pistol.
I love a S&W 586/686 4" barrel. Thats my favorite wheel gun.
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:If you own and feel fine with your Gen 2's, then the Gen 5's probably would seem redundant. I actually like them specifically because they're so much like the Gen 2, but with improvements that I think are worthwhile and only make a great gun greater. I stopped by and shot a Gen 5 G17 tonight after work, and oh boy am I buying this gun ASAP. The 19 is great too but the new 17 fits my hand like nothing else I've ever shot. Finally my gorilla hands fit a grip (well, mostly lol).

(no jokes about my girly bracelet, it was a Father's day gift from my daughter lol)
I missed it if you already stated it, but did you ever try the Gen 4 with the backstrap adjustment pieces? That seems like it had plenty to fill big paws.

Sweet bracelet dude! ;)
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

mb1 wrote:
Evil D wrote:If you own and feel fine with your Gen 2's, then the Gen 5's probably would seem redundant. I actually like them specifically because they're so much like the Gen 2, but with improvements that I think are worthwhile and only make a great gun greater. I stopped by and shot a Gen 5 G17 tonight after work, and oh boy am I buying this gun ASAP. The 19 is great too but the new 17 fits my hand like nothing else I've ever shot. Finally my gorilla hands fit a grip (well, mostly lol).

I missed it if you already stated it, but did you ever try the Gen 4 with the backstrap adjustment pieces? That seems like it had plenty to fill big paws.

Sweet bracelet dude! ;)

The back straps make it worse. My hands aren't just big they're really meaty so getting my hand around the grip is easier with a smaller diameter grip. I also have a shorter than it should be index finger due to a broken bone in my hand so fatter grips make it harder to reach the trigger. I shoot the Gen 4 without any back strap and the same with the 5.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am a big Ruger fan and that SR1911 in 10mm has me interested.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Evil D wrote:The back straps make it worse. My hands aren't just big they're really meaty so getting my hand around the grip is easier with a smaller diameter grip. I also have a shorter than it should be index finger due to a broken bone in my hand so fatter grips make it harder to reach the trigger. I shoot the Gen 4 without any back strap and the same with the 5.
Gotchya. Looking at that pic again, I see why the extra grip length works for you.

When I tested all their models, I shot the 19 better than the 17 for some reason. I think I have avg sized hands, but I like my 19 a little better with a thicker backstrap (medium maybe?) added. But I leave it off so my wife can shoot it with the thinner grip.

My favorite handgun of everything I tried (few years back) was that HK VP9. Something about the grip angle I guess, but I could hold that on target better than anything else. It just pointed naturally like a magnet. I never did buy one though. Had to try a Glock.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
i am travvy

Post by i am travvy »

I was not impressed with the new gen 5. The ambi slide stop doesn't do anything for me, the trigger felt the same minus the shorter reset, no finger grooves doesn't mean much since I remove the grooves anyways. The flared magwell isn't that big a deal, same with the rounded front. For me, As a modder, I'll stick with the gen 3's for now since there is more of an aftermarket for them. Only thing that is stock that I keep and use is the slide and frame (after modifying the frame to my liking).
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Meh.... A Glock is a Glock is a Glock..... No excitement as to generational changes from me. I like them, own a couple and shoot them but they aren't as special as their devotees like to believe. It's a tool that does a job.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Evil D wrote:
The Deacon wrote:Call me old fashioned but I don't think there's anything more reliable or safer to carry than a double action revolver. Versions with either and enclosed or shrouded hammer add an additional degree of safety. If I lived in an open carry state I'd probably have a 4" barreled S&W K-frame on my hip most days. However, SC does not allow open carry and so, as a concession to the realities of concealed carry, I settle for a S&W J-frame in my pocket occasionally supplemented by a second one in a shoulder rig. Yes, they're of limited capacity but they're light weight, comfortable, and very inconspicuous. More importantly, they shoot where I point when fitted with my preferred grips. I can place all 5 rounds in a 6" circle, or one shot each in five of them, at 7 yards just by pointing and shooting.

Paul if you don't mind me leveraging your age a bit here, something I really love is talking to guys who have spent the majority of their shooting years with revolvers, because their perspective is always so different than people who grew up with Glocks/etc. Sometimes that perspective seems a little close minded, but I respect the way (especially retired officers) are able to make respectable groups with DA revolvers, especially the little pocket rocket small frame .357's. When I hear people crying about how their small size Glock is snappy and hard to control it makes me laugh thinking about how they would handle something like a S&W Model 360 .357 or a SP101 .357. I didn't own a semi auto pistol until just about 2 years ago so nearly all of the handgun experience I have is with revolvers so I've always appreciated the skill it takes to be proficient with one compared to modern "point and click" pistols.
Honestly Evil, I've found that the folks who transition to Glocks the quickest were double action revolver shooters as the Glock safe-action trigger system is more similar to a D/A revolver trigger than anything else. I've helped transition several PDs to Glocks over the years and the "old guys" had the fewest issues with the change. The younger officers moving from Berettas, SIGs, etc had many more problems.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Wheel guns have never been my passion but I do have a copy of Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting that I will be happy to send to the first six shooter enthusiast to PM me an address.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Mad Mac wrote:Wheel guns have never been my passion but I do have a copy of Ed McGivern's Book of Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting that I will be happy to send to the first six shooter enthusiast to PM me an address.
I have a winner. Thank you.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.