EU Vacuum Cleaner Ban: Smart, Ridiculous, or what?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

EU Vacuum Cleaner Ban: Smart, Ridiculous, or what?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

And so, supposedly the European Union is going to be putting a law that will take effect that will ban certain vacuum cleaners with very large power motors and that generate sounds over around 80 decibals.

You can read more here:

http://www.which.co.uk/news/2017/08/eu- ... d-to-know/
http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/lif ... er-cleaner

Some of the supporters of the ban claim it is to help the environment, and make it so the sounds of the motors won't bother neighbors, and, they claim it will open a whole new market for producers of cordless and rechargeable hand held vacuum cleaners.

What do you all make of this?

Two of my comments:

1 It seems to me that a vacuum with a more powerful motor would let you do a faster better job, and is thus more efficient. What has gotten into the minds of these politicians?

2 The supporters' claim that this ban will open a new market for cordless rechargeable hand helds is like someone who supports bans on knives with blades longer than two inches saying "Well hey, this opens a larger market for knives with blades two inches and under!" Nope. Doesn't work for me. If companies and their consumers like knives with blades under two inches, I am all for them being able to make and get them. But don't use that as an excuse to ban the others.

More unwanted and unnecessary government intrusion and interference with peoples' lives.
LDB

Re: EU Vacuum Cleaner Ban: Smart, Ridiculous, or what?

Post by LDB »

Refugees and the left destroying the EU and this is what they are worried about and fooling with?
remnar

Post by remnar »

I really hate it when people from Europe start commenting on the policies and traditions of the United States, so for that reason I will not comment on this. Then again maybe one smart aleck comment won't hurt: I'm sure the proponents of this plan to ban high powered vacuum cleaners really just want the E.U. to suck less. :D
El Gato

Post by El Gato »

Geez Louise, banning stuff seems to be the latest trend worldwide! I suppose I shouldn't mention door locks or they will be the next on the list. Locks on doors can provide suppression against the minorities who might otherwise rob the occupants of the residence, and it is politically incorrect to suppress any minority these days regardless of intent. My neighbors don't give a rat's patoot if I go deaf vacuuming my floors in my own house? (I'm already deaf, so no big deal there).

With my luck the next thing banned will be my Jack Daniel's ....... :mad:

End of rant.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

remnar wrote:I'm sure the proponents of this plan to ban high powered vacuum cleaners really just want the E.U. to suck less. :D
Remnar wins the thread!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

A certain type mindset just wants to have control. Nothing is too minor. Nothing is out of reach.

If people don't like it just use hyperbole and histrionics and tell people it's because of an epidemic of mass deaths and if it's a socialized medicine country bring up the crushing costs burdening the system causing some towns to go without emergency room doctors ( while never mentioning the town never had or needed it's own). Then you can use the threat of immigration by talking about needing to fast track doctors immigrating from places that are terrorist havens. Mention the cost of housing widows and orphans and sending them off to free universities . Throw in jabs at the companies CEO's living in gated beach communities making money off vacuum motors producing insanely huge power bills sucking so much energy that new coal burning power plants will have to go online thereby guaranteeing mass species die offs and typhoons and tsunamis from global warming.

I could go on but you get the point.

**** vacuum cleaners!
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

remnar wrote:I really hate it when people from Europe start commenting on the policies and traditions of the United States, so for that reason I will not comment on this.
Thank you, I appreciate this position a lot!

I for my person control also my emotions about some strange laws, habits or views you have in the US. "To each his own" is always good for a smooth coming together ;)
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
Midnightrider

Post by Midnightrider »

The vacuum cleaner laws suck. The EU sucks, they are what happens when PC and big brotherism (leftism and nanny statists) spiral out of control. I am proud to live in a country that mostly tells the EU to stick it. Ha ha, the Czech people will not accept the EU guns are bad doctrine.
Millies in S110V, CTS-204p, REX 45, PM2/S110v, Native 5/Maxamet, P4/K390, Pacific Salt SE/H1, UK PK
Wants/Wishes (only NIB and EU): Militarys in 52100, Maxamet, Cru-Wear, Manix 2/Maxamet
Yes, Virginia, that's a Purple Haze in my suit pocket :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Remember, getting rid of vacuum cleaners improves the environment because they suction all of the ozone out of the atmosphere which causes Mars to encroach upon the planet and leach what is left of our atmosphere into space.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

As someone that voted for the UK to leave the EU: I'll leave the thread with one nugget of information which may help all to grasp the types of minds that sit in Brussels and decide what needs legislating upon:
"I Love You"- 3 words
The US Declaration Of Independance- 1322 words
The EU Technical Protocol On Cabbage Growing, Production and Cabbage Products- 23,510 words

The 'E' in EU is not 'effeciency'
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
mb1

Post by mb1 »

^^ LOL! Oh my... :eek: :rolleyes:
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is just nonsense. Someone is actually getting paid to sit around and think up this crap? Vacuum cleaner bans? This sounds like the plot of a really stupid comedy movie.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Think it's to do with the cheap Chinese vacuums, power tools, generators , and whatever has flooded the cheap market.

Do a lot of camping and in days gone past it was rare to see one generator at a camp site. Nowdays you can buy them as cheap as chips and everyone has one. The cheaper ones are twice as loud as the good ones. SO WITH ALL THE NOISE AT NATIONAL PARKS GENERATORS WILL BE BANNED SOON.
Who is going to buy a 50db well made and quiet one for twice as much as a cheap Chinese one that is twice as loud

Maybe we should look more at why they are banning certain ones not what they are banning
80 db is loud for a vacuum cleaner. :eek:
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They should just ban carpeting. :D

Does this apply to shop vacs?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

The Mastiff wrote:A certain type mindset just wants to have control. Nothing is too minor. Nothing is out of reach.

If people don't like it just use hyperbole and histrionics and tell people it's because of an epidemic of mass deaths and if it's a socialized medicine country bring up the crushing costs burdening the system causing some towns to go without emergency room doctors ( while never mentioning the town never had or needed it's own). Then you can use the threat of immigration by talking about needing to fast track doctors immigrating from places that are terrorist havens. Mention the cost of housing widows and orphans and sending them off to free universities . Throw in jabs at the companies CEO's living in gated beach communities making money off vacuum motors producing insanely huge power bills sucking so much energy that new coal burning power plants will have to go online thereby guaranteeing mass species die offs and typhoons and tsunamis from global warming.

I could go on but you get the point.

**** vacuum cleaners!
Bravo Sir. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter???
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Bravo Sir. Where can I subscribe to your newsletter???
Sorry, no newsletter. I'm too busy yelling at the neighbor kids to get them off my lawn and sending grouchy notes in to letters to the editor of the local commie news rag!

:)

Joe